Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: GDT: Canes vs Bruins, Game 3, 5/14, 8:00 pm Eastern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: GDT: Canes vs Bruins, Game 3, 5/14, 8:00 pm Eastern

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
    By your reasoning, Turbo should have fired his agent and he should be making 7m....and Aho 9m?

The Canes have a lot of contracts tovget worked out. They don't have unlimited cap space and budget to deal with. So, everyone is 100% content with Aho being our top dog for years to come?
    You just sit back and wait and see Kahuna, if you think for a red hot minute that Aho is only worth $7 million on a new long term deal that could likely be upwards of 7-8 years in length, you certainly have not been paying much attention to the market. Aho is a star in the league and Dundon knows that, even Adam Gold has him pegged as getting close to $9 million a year on an 8 year deal for around $72 million. You lock up your stars nowadays, whether you like it or not, that's just the way it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying he's a bad player.

Im only asking, is he THAT player. The one you want to make your highest paid for years to come? If Svech pans out, he's gonna get paid too. I just really don't want to see the Canes become another cap idiot team like Toronto. Our blueline is tied up on GOOD contracts. But that too won't last forever.

1st Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

By your reasoning, Turbo should have fired his agent and he should be making 7m....and Aho 9m?

The Canes have a lot of contracts tovget worked out. They don't have unlimited cap space and budget to deal with. So, everyone is 100% content with Aho being our top dog for years to come?
    If you only will go to $6.5M with Aho, then he's going to sign the shortest deal possible and become a UFA ASAP and any team will have a shot at him. And he will get a long term deal then at a much higher rate because the cap will have increased. Bridge deals were a thing for a while. They're not any more. You need to pay him enough to convince him to sign long term. He's worth what it takes to lock him up. You can't risk losing a top end talent like that because you can't just drop by the Free Agent Store on your way home and pick a new one out of the Forwards bin and a gallon of milk.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying he's a bad player.

Im only asking, is he THAT player. The one you want to make your highest paid for years to come? If Svech pans out, he's gonna get paid too. I just really don't want to see the Canes become another cap idiot team like Toronto. Our blueline is tied up on GOOD contracts. But that too won't last forever.
    If you're saying we can only have two well paid players, then you're saying we may as well all pack it up and go find a college team to support. EVERY decent NHL team has several well compensated players and a healthy layer of guys in that second tier as well. And I can assure you that that your apparent opinion of Aho is NOT shared by many (if any) around the league. He's seen as a top drawer forward with a TON of career left. If we don't pay him them sooner or later somebody else will. Guaranteed.

Plus ... I still don't get freaking out about his production in April and May. The guy was hurt and he still played big minutes in all situations and still rung up points at a healthy clip. He lost the top end sizzle, but nothing else ... and that's EXACTLY what you want from your key player.
    Last edited by jeffbear; 05-18-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not 100% convinced of the "hurt" theory just yet. I guess on that front we can wait and see what transpires later.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not 100% convinced of the "hurt" theory just yet. I guess on that front we can wait and see what transpires later.
    Take that out of the equation then. I still don't see Aho's playoffs as some sort of stain on his resume. Dude was good ... he just wasn't as good as he was in the regular season. Welcome to virtually everybody in their first NHL post season.

Post Thanks / Like

My gutt says Aho sign for around 8.5-8.75 at 6-7 years. I think that's good value, bloody good value.

Post Thanks / Like

And he may have seemed to 'flatten out' and lost that poise playing through the injury (and lets stop doubting, he has been playing injured) but I also thought he played a very smart and disciplined game for the most part, as best he could (being in pain, limited in whatever motion)... he turned his game into kind of an "econonical Aho"... oh and yeah, still ended up our leading scorer. He somewhat pulled, in his way an RF, flying under the radar. I think he really soldiered on and tried to blend in.
    I don't forget at all the Aho up until that game against the Bolts. I have no doubt he'll be back and much wiser with this incredible overachieved playoff experience. The NHL playoffs are a bloody grind. We'll learn from this and hopefully we CAN continue to grow and be successful. I don't doubt it and see Aho as our best piece right now to get us there. He has gotten better not only every season but EVERY SINGLE game he plays since he broke in. I also find that he rubs off on his teammates in a healthy competitive way. He enjoys the game, is shifty and intelligent. All in all. Aho is worth his weight. Don't insult him by low balling him. But I thin he's reasonable too. So we probably can expect some good value on his contract and what amounts to a bit of a home town discount.

As for the org on the whole, I hope they continue to be more aggressive. I can't recall if the offseason moves that brought in Hamilton etc were after Dundon (yeah??) but if yes then please keep it up. We may be missing pieces but we still have a bit of depth. Not so much on D as we all want to believe IMO, yeah some of our depth is not really panning out yet as high as hoped. Still, they retain value and we do have options.

One thing though, I really hope we see some better deals. The guys we let go were all faulty in their own way, while with us anyway. But maybe just the Skinner deal.. please avoid taking another Pu. (oh boy, silly James couldn't avoid yet another poo joke)

Post Thanks / Like

And he may have seemed to 'flatten out' and lost that poise playing through the injury (and lets stop doubting, he has been playing injured) but I also thought he played a very smart and disciplined game for the most part, as best he could (being in pain, limited in whatever motion)... he turned his game into kind of an "econonical Aho"... oh and yeah, still ended up our leading scorer. He somewhat pulled, in his way an RF, flying under the radar. I think he really soldiered on and tried to blend in.
    I don't forget at all the Aho up until that game against the Bolts. I have no doubt he'll be back and much wiser with this incredible overachieved playoff experience. The NHL playoffs are a bloody grind. We'll learn from this and hopefully we CAN continue to grow and be successful. I don't doubt it and see Aho as our best piece right now to get us there. He has gotten better not only every season but EVERY SINGLE game he plays since he broke in. I also find that he rubs off on his teammates in a healthy competitive way. He enjoys the game, is shifty and intelligent. All in all. Aho is worth his weight. Don't insult him by low balling him. But I thin he's reasonable too. So we probably can expect some good value on his contract and what amounts to a bit of a home town discount.
    Last edited by JamesNorthern; 05-18-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567