• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes vs Bruins, Game 3, 5/14, 8:00 pm Eastern

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Hoo boy. Let's do this thing.

Carolina returns home hoping to find a spark, trailing Boston in the Eastern Conference Finals 0-2 after a pretty comprehensive butt whoopin' in Boston in Game 2. Looking at the set in Boston, the script kind of went in reverse order. The Canes, coming off of a long layoff after sweeping the NY Islanders in Round 2, actually looked pretty sharp in Game 1 and lost control of a tight game late. Game 2 was a different beast as the Canes cracked under pressure, lost patience and discipline and pretty much just looked like a dumpster fire. Even the two goals in the 3rd didn't seem to bring any solace other than simply avoiding a shutout that they probably deserved.

So ... back to the drawing board, and back to the madhouse that is the PNC Arena. And look, that WILL help ... it always helps ... but that alone is not enough. Carolina has to start small and build back to the kind of game that can actually beat a quality team on a roll. And make no mistake. This Boston team is a quality hockey team and as good as anybody in the NHL when they get hot and confident. They had an extended run like this in the regular season too and they're no fun at ALL to play when the lava is flowing for them like it is right now. So yeah, start small and build it up shift upon shift.

Details for Bruins ...
Boston won't be making any changes, I'd think. They might tinker with their forecheck a bit but otherwise they found something that clearly works in Game 2 and will likely look to reproduce that in Game 3. They MIGHT dial down the secondary pressure a notch just because they're on the road, but probably not too much.

Details for Canes ...
No word from the rink yet, but I think we see McIlhenney in net tonight. Brindy doesn't like to make "shake things up" changes, but in this case I think Mrazek has shown enough technical weaknesses in Games 1 and 2 to justify doing just that. The team has confidence in both guys, so there's no real downside to a change right now. By the same token those two losses were NOT on any one guy, so Brindy might just play the contrarian and put Mr Azek back out there. Either way, the TEAM has to play better ... including the goaltender. Other changes ... I doubt it. Martinook is apparently going to be a game time decision for the duration, and the only change today is that Maenalanen is available to sub in if needed as well as Brown. We'll see on that. The lines will almost certainly be tweaked, as home ice gives Brind'Amour the ability to load up two offensive units and avoid Bergeron's line with one of them pretty much all game. We'll just have to see how that goes as well. Again, this is about EVERYBODY not a small group, an individual player or a single line or pairing. EVERYBODY has to play better.

And yeah ... in terms of the series anyway, this IS a must win. Be loud, be proud, be supportive even if everything doesn't go exactly to plan.

Agreed. Justin Williams downplayed the importance of the line matchups in today's N&O and he's partially right. We got outplayed by ALL of Boston's lines, each of which provided a scoring threat. So, it's up to all four lines to bring it tonight. Trust in yourself, trust in your teammates, and trust in the discipline and work ethic that got you to this place and time.

Brown isn’t available, with Maenalanen healthy, he was sent back to Charlotte, for real this time.

Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
Steve Kozari #40, Kelly Sutherland #11

Linesmen:
Pierre Racicot #65, Trent Knorr #63

Standby:
God Dwyer #19, Greg Devorski #54

Kozari and Sutherland worked both eastern conference elimination games, Canes/Isles game 4 and Bruins/Jackets game 6. Kozari worked Canes/Caps game 2 with Jean Hebert.

Racicot and Knorr have worked together the entire postseason. Knorr is a kid, tonight is his 19th playoff game in his 5th season. It’s Racicot’s 237th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's Win this one and at least make our fan base feel again.. That last game I missed due to RL stuff... seems like it was a good decision.

What is the winning percentage this year when wearing black? Nuff said.

The defense needs to be better and that includes the forwards getting back on the odd man rushes and thwarting the B's cycle game.

No stupid penalties ... I suspect Rod has already addressed this and we won't see anymore of that.

The PP needs a serious shake up ... just run the normal lines and forecheck the hell out of them for control.

For the record, regarding the power play ...

I think Carolina's initial approach in both games was solid and pretty well executed. It's been their response to adjustments from Boston (and NYI before them) that's been pretty hideous.

Honestly, if I'm Brindy I'm working on the KILL if I'm grinding on special teams. Boston's power play is really good and has been all season long, but holy crap you've GOT to at least make them work for it. And the Canes PK has been terrible in both games in this series. Just indescribably terrible ... in every single way.

Much of the PK problem comes from losing the inZone draw. Seems like the B's are wining those like 95%.

Much of the PK problem comes from losing the inZone draw. Seems like the B's are wining those like 95%.

Well, it's generally either Bergeron or Coyle. Those guys are going to win some draws. It's what comes next that has bothered me most.

There's a 50% chance Mrazek starts.

Agreed. I think this is a closer call than it would appear from the outside. It really comes down to how Brind'Amour thinks the guys will react in front of the guy. He's certainly not shy about seeing to buck conventional wisdom.

To misappropriate a metaphor, I'm rooting with house money right now. Happy if we win, philosophical if we lose. I WOULD like to see us play better than we did on Sunday, though.

To misappropriate a metaphor, I'm rooting with house money right now. Happy if we win, philosophical if we lose. I WOULD like to see us play better than we did on Sunday, though.

Yeah ... I actually started to work on a detailed post along these lines focused on the off season between 2010-11 and 2011-12 and decided to postpone it a bit. It was basically an object lesson in how much better off we are right now than we were coming off of the Canes best season of the decade prior to this. I cannot stress enough how fully satisfied I am with this season and this team. They met and exceeded all my expectations and gave us a whole new pile of memories worth actually remembering.

That said ... go win this freaking game tonight.

This team is the embodiment of what we wished for ("If only...") all those many long frustrating seasons...and never seemed to get.

Dundon did indeed change the culture...and it needed changing.

This team is the embodiment of what we wished for ("If only...") all those many long frustrating seasons...and never seemed to get.

Dundon did indeed change the culture...and it needed changing.

It definitely needed changing, now hopefully you take all this positive energy and continue on the right path this summer. Buyout Darling, sign Aho to the 8 year max contract, bring back Mrazek and maybe Mac, use those extra draft picks to maybe find another center, continue devloping all those prospects the right way, build your season ticket base, use that new practice rink to have a broader reach with youth hockey in the area.

Nothing better to add. It has certainly been quite the journey, taking into account the time between p-off appearances. Happier than ever at this point, completely satisfied. Still, go bloody win this one!

I predict we see Big Mac. All other speculations aside, I don't think we gamble in the conference final with wisdom... down 2-0... you need a shift. Particularly since Mrazek has shown he can be exploited by the Bs.

Back