• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes vs Bruins, Game 4, 5/16, 8:00 pm Eastern

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
OK kids ... THIS is a must win game regardless of your definitions.

Carolina face elimination for the second time this post season, but in a much deeper hole that the one they had in the Washington series. Boston is a roll more defined by defense than offense and this game is a pretty steep slope for the Canes. Clearly they'll be looking to avoid a home handshake line, because that's the WORST. But there's really only so much you can tweak to goose the troop. Williams and Staal talked about squeezing the toothpaste tube at their press availability yesterday, and I guess that works ... so long as there's actually anything left in the tube. Sometimes there just isn't.

Boston ... Chris Wagner left Tuesday's game with a nick of some kind, and Noel Acciari will deputize. No great shakes there, as they pretty much do the same thing in a similar manner. Everything else will likely stay the same, including the general plan of attack ... which has largely entailed pressuring the second pass on Carolina's attempts to exit the zone. They have absolutely choked the flow out of Carolina's transitions and yet still managed to recover their defensive shape when the Canes do manage to get offensive zone time. Rask will still be his calm, confident self in net. They make it a matter of out-executing them and they've made that a real challenge.

Carolina ... again, I dunno. Balance up the lines and go for it, I guess. They created more than enough offensive chances in Game 3 but couldn't finish, so ... just go do better. Discipline has been an issue, largely because frustration has been an issue. Getting on the board first always help, as does staying out of the penalty box. We'll see what they decide to do in net, but I honestly don't think it matters. Scoring enough goals to even be in the conversation ... THAT's what matters.

So ... no amount of good luck or mojo totems are getting this done. Turns out it's going to actually take playing better hockey. Do that.

OK kids ... THIS is a must win game regardless of your definitions.

There's always next year. World won't stop turning.

Williams and Staal talked about squeezing the toothpaste tube at their press availability yesterday, and I guess that works ...

After eating a poop sandwich, ya gotta get whatever toothpaste you can. I hope we can win tonight just to see what Williams comes up with next.

It's also possible that this is Williams' last game as a Hurricane or anywhere. I hope not. I'm not sure anybody else is ready to take that role quite yet. I don't think he will, but it's possible he hangs 'em up.

Come out with the same first period effort as last game, but more screening and more sticks on the ice for rebounds. Ironic that the only puck to get by Rask last game was an unscreened shot from a defensive d-man. Nice that it happened, but that's just about the 180-degree wrong recipe for success.

Last edited:
FWIW, while we can deal with the post season stuff in depth when it is actually the post season, I doubt Williams retires unless he's in need of the kind of surgery that has a long recovery time or something like that. Not saying he's playing hurt, but let's be honest ... everybody is playing at least a little hurt at this point. First off, he really seemed to dig in and enjoy this season as Captain. The 2017-18 season was clearly a slog for him, but not so much this one. Secondly, this series aside, he played really good hockey for the Canes this year, on top of providing leadership. I'd honestly be surprised if he's not back wearing the C next year, probably in a bit of a reduced role on the ice.

FWIW, while we can deal with the post season stuff in depth when it is actually the post season, I doubt Williams retires unless he's in need of the kind of surgery that has a long recovery time or something like that. Not saying he's playing hurt, but let's be honest ... everybody is playing at least a little hurt at this point. First off, he really seemed to dig in and enjoy this season as Captain. The 2017-18 season was clearly a slog for him, but not so much this one. Secondly, this series aside, he played really good hockey for the Canes this year, on top of providing leadership. I'd honestly be surprised if he's not back wearing the C next year, probably in a bit of a reduced role on the ice.

It would have been a completely different answer if you asked that question in November/December. He looked like a spent player, like Francis’ and Brind’Amour’s last seasons. And then he found the fountain of youth and was a completely different player. I can’t see him not coming back next year on a 1 year contract for about the same money. I think he looks at his job as only partially finished.

Do not have to go to the symphony tonight. That be in June. Might be Ugh, anyway!

Last edited:
Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
Francis Charron #6, Wes McCauley #4

Linesmen:
Scott Cherrey #50, Derek Amell #75

Standby:
Kelly Sutherland #11, Trent Knorr #63

We had McCauley for Islanders game 1 with Brian Pochmara. We had Charron for Islanders game 3 with Dan O’Rourke. McCauley has worked 3 Bruins games, Charron has worked 2. Both teams are undefeated in the playoffs with these 2. Canes and Bruins were both 3-3 with McCauley in the regular season. Bruins were 5-0 with Charron, Canes were 1-3.

If we've learned nothing in this post season, I certainly hope that we've learned that there are no "good" NHL refs. Any of them are capable of virtually anything at any time. Here's hoping for a controversy free game. It feels like a big ask.

On a positive note, saw a comment made on another board regarding how effectively the Canes had throttled Boston's vaunted top line 5-on-5 with their only goals coming on power plays.

So went back to the boxscore recaps to verify:

Bergeron -> one PPG (Game 1) / no EV goals
Marchand -> one PPG (Game 3) / no EV goals
Pastrnak -> no goals

Second line not faring much better:

DeBrusk -> one PPG (Game 2) / no EV goals
Krejci -> no goals
Backes -> one EV goal (Game 2)

Goals are coming from their power plays (5 PP), their bottom six forwards (4 EV), and bottom-pairing defensemen (3 EV).
Only top-six EV goal is Backes in Game 2

On a positive note, saw a comment made on another board regarding how effectively the Canes had throttled Boston's vaunted top line 5-on-5 with their only goals coming on power plays.

So went back to the boxscore recaps to verify:

Bergeron -> one PPG (Game 1) / no EV goals
Marchand -> one PPG (Game 3) / no EV goals
Pastrnak -> no goals

Second line not faring much better:

DeBrusk -> one PPG (Game 2) / no EV goals
Krejci -> no goals
Backes -> one EV goal (Game 2)

Goals are coming from their power plays (5 PP), their bottom six forwards (4 EV), and bottom-pairing defensemen (3 EV).
Only top-six EV goal is Backes in Game 2

Yeah ... I think Carolina has defended about as well as nay of us could have hoped 5v5. There have been bobbles and bad shifts, as happens anytime you play a quality opponent, but for the most part the Canes have NOT been outmatched out there. Special teams were always going to be a problem, and the Canes needed to be more efficient on offense to make up for it. THAT's the issue. We've been good on defense, but Boston has been even better.

Our goals, few though they may be:

Game 1 -> Aho (PPG), McKegg (EV)

Game 2 -> Williams (EV), Teravainen (EV)

Game 3 -> de Haan (EV)

Yeah, that's not good.

Also brought to my attention: Micheal Ferland has not scored a goal since February 26.

That was 17 regular-season and 6 playoff games ago.

(Game Log)

Canes start well enough, and then go on the power play. Ugh.

Even allow a shorthanded breakaway.

OK, now that that's over, lets get some 5 on 5 stuff going.

Reminds Tripp of Game 2. Shut up, Tripp.

Last edited:
Every shot feels like a slapshot out there...

Nino with another offensive zone penalty.

I may be switching to the Phineas and Ferb marathon if they don't kill this.

Looks like Coyle's gonna negate the remainder of it. Good job, guys.

As much as the Canes power play frustrates me, anyway...

End of the first... 0-0. Passing needs to be better in the second, for sure.

Last edited:
Back