• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 NHL Off Season News Thread

Hayes has had (1) 50 point season in his career, he would slot on most teams as a fine #3 center with some size, but $7.15 million per on a 7 year deal??? What does a guy like Miko Rantanen now get? Even Nazem Kadri is a far better center than Hayes and he is making like $4.5 million per...he must look at that Hayes contract in disbelief and hope...

Hayes has had (1) 50 point season in his career, he would slot on most teams as a fine #3 center with some size, but $7.15 million per on a 7 year deal??? What does a guy like Miko Rantanen now get? Even Nazem Kadri is a far better center than Hayes and he is making like $4.5 million per...he must look at that Hayes contract in disbelief and hope...

At the deadline I used Jordan Staal as a comparable for Hayes, and he's making $6 million a year ... and most fans think HE'S over-paid.

At the deadline I used Jordan Staal as a comparable for Hayes, and he's making $6 million a year ... and most fans think HE'S over-paid.

We kinda rationalized that at least it might look better in the latter half of that decade-long JR beauty and it kinda does.

Similar total points for the two. Hayes earns at a higher per game rate, but isn't the iron horse that Staal has been (last season's concussion being the outlier). Both contracts expire in their mid-thirties.

Staal brings the face-off prowess and defensive play edge. Plus that immovable-object thing he does where his m1 is greater than anyone else's m2 in the conservation of momentum equation.

$6M per year still a bit of an overpay for an upper-40's point producer, even with all the intangible. Still think flanked with some real NHL wingers his production could be higher. Hands of stone for scoring, but he can complete passes to those that can score.

Frrank Seravalli tweeted that the Ducks are finalizing the paperwork to buy out Corey Perry. He has a NMC so he can’t be placed on waivers.

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1141368385868988417?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They pretty much had to do that. Nobody was going to take on his last couple of years at a cap hit of $8 mil. That said, if Perry can get his legs back and still wants to play, he's still useful. Just not at the money he was on. He came back from that knee surgery but I don't think he took enough time to rehab and he looked older than he actually is. Recency bias could make the guy a cheap veteran addition for somebody ... say a budget minded young team that struggles on the power play .

The contracts being handed out right now are just over the top ridiculous. This doesn't bode well at all.

They pretty much had to do that. Nobody was going to take on his last couple of years at a cap hit of $8 mil. That said, if Perry can get his legs back and still wants to play, he's still useful. Just not at the money he was on. He came back from that knee surgery but I don't think he took enough time to rehab and he looked older than he actually is. Recency bias could make the guy a cheap veteran addition for somebody ... say a budget minded young team that struggles on the power play .

I have always liked his chippiness and grit. He was tough to play against. However, he really slowed down and it just wasn't the result of his knee surgery. The two seasons prior showed a steady decline. If a young team that struggles on their power play and is on a budget wants Corey Perry, would said team want Justin Williams as well??

The contracts being handed out right now are just over the top ridiculous. This doesn't bode well at all.

Even worse, the salary cap probably won’t be final until Sunday. The league and NHLPA are still discussing escrow. The cap may be less than the $82 million projected earlier.

I have always liked his chippiness and grit. He was tough to play against. However, he really slowed down and it just wasn't the result of his knee surgery. The two seasons prior showed a steady decline. If a young team that struggles on their power play and is on a budget wants Corey Perry, would said team want Justin Williams as well??

Perry is a better power play presence, and is younger. Again, it all hinges on his health and mobility. Otherwise, very similar situations. But if Williams decides to hang 'em up, this wouldn't be the worst Plan B.

Even worse, the salary cap probably won’t be final until Sunday. The league and NHLPA are still discussing escrow. The cap may be less than the $82 million projected earlier.

Elliotte Friedman tweeted that the expectation is that the Cap will be between $81.5 and $82.1 million.

Good time to have cap room if your owner is willing to spend money. Lots of teams will be in trouble with the cap that low.

Good time to have cap room if your owner is willing to spend money. Lots of teams will be in trouble with the cap that low.

It's a great opportunity for the Canes to land a pretty good player via trade, but like you said, only if Dundon is willing to open up the wallet. Those extra second round picks could be gold if the right trade is out there and the Canes can take on a contract.

Yeah. Looks like there were three or four GMs counting on the Cap coming up to $84 million. Whoopsie.

You’re a good man, Carey Price.

https://youtu.be/oiat4ihlu6Q

Where the hell did those onions come from and who’s chopping them at this hour?

Aw that did bring a tear. Just like when I saw the first video when they met. Really nice to see this kind of thing. And its ok if the kid doesn't quite feel like everthing is or is going to be ok. Not to pick at Price, but just can't imagine what that kid feels right? losing his mom at a young age, but old enough to know.

The NHL formally approved the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes to Alex Meruelo. He's a real estate/construction tycoon and should be well enough stocked with personal wealth to be a viable owner. Both he and the league indicate that financing an arena in or near downtown is a priority, to the point that some have speculated that the league would be willing to support moving the franchise should those efforts once again fail.

Quebec Coyotes? I mean, coyote is spelled the same in french. Just sayin'

Quebecor majority stockholder is Peladeau and yes they hate him. The thing is Quebec City has become a large tech town over the past 10 years and there are more billionaires involved with the city now. They could find someone else.

Quebecor majority stockholder is Peladeau and yes they hate him. The thing is Quebec City has become a large tech town over the past 10 years and there are more billionaires involved with the city now. They could find someone else.

Well, they like THIS guy ... so maybe all they need to do is find him a favorable lease. Excuse me ... favourable.

Back