• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 NHL Off Season News Thread

LeBrun and McKenzie are both tweeting that Vegas and William Karlsson are closing in on an extension, 8 years with an AAV just under $6 million.

LeBrun and McKenzie are both tweeting that Vegas and William Karlsson are closing in on an extension, 8 years with an AAV just under $6 million.

Reporting as a done deal now. AAV at $6 mil, which means that Karlsson took a significant discount to stay in Vegas. And fair play to him. He loves it there and it's his career. The guy's already been let down by two NHL franchises, so it's natural for him to value fit and comfort.

FWIW, while the two sides are still meeting, there's been no movement on the Sharks re-signing Pavelski and as weird as it sounds, he's set to start talking to other teams later this week. I have a hard time believing Little Joe ends up elsewhere, but hey ... he's the biggest actual producer in the free agent pool. Age is his only limitation. He's coming off of a deal that paid him $6 million a year, but the Sharks have Meier to deal with as well as most of their bottom 2 lines. Their cap room is limited to say the least. But do you gamble that a player that's still as important to them as Pavelski is close enough to his decline to allow him to just walk away? Whew.

The Hockey Hall of Fame class has been introduced and I’m gonna be sick

Hayley Wickenheiser
Sergei Zubov
Vaclav Nedomansky
Guy Carbonneau
Jim Rutherford - Builder
Jerry York - Builder

In what hockey universe does Guy Carbonneau get into the HOF before Rod Brind’Amour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four-time Olympic gold medalist Hayley Wickenheiser, Montreal Canadiens great Guy Carbonneau, longtime Dallas Stars defenceman Sergei Zubov and Vaclav Nedomansky, the first player to defect to North America to play, were among the sextet selected for induction to the Hockey Hall of Fame next fall.

They will be joined in the Builders Category by current Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford and longstanding Boston College coach Jerry York.

If a guy like Guy Carbonneau gets in the Hall of Fame, how on earth can Brindy not get in soon???

Congrats to JR on his Hall of Fame news!!!

Carbonneau was a heck of a hockey player. You don’t just look at goals for the HoF. That said, Brind’Amour was also a heck of a hockey player.

Carbonneau was a heck of a hockey player. You don’t just look at goals for the HoF. That said, Brind’Amour was also a hack of a hockey player.

Not a question of what kind of hockey player Carbonneau was, more of a question of how dumb the NHL handles who gets in and why its so secret...Brindy deserves it just as much as Carbonneau so let's hope his call comes soon.

I mean, I like Guy Carbonneau, I respect Guy Carbonneau. He was a very good player for a very long time. Is he a HOFer? Ok, sure, we can make room for good overall hockey players and leaders. The guys who did it in the faceoff circle, and the corners, and the locker room, and were deservedly recognized for they defensive prowess while still contributing on the offensive side of the ice (well, in Carbonneau's case at least until his last 6 seasons).

My question here is 'what exactly are these super secretive group of 18 using as criteria to come up with their inductees'? Guy Carbonneau is in, and we will hear all of the accolades about his defensive game and him captaining the Habs for years and how he did all of the little things right and how he won 3 Cups. And all of that will be 100% true. Great, fine, ok. So....what did Guy Carbonneau do BETTER than Rod Brind'Amour over the course of his career?

I think the only answer here really is 'he was captain of the Habs and won 2 Cups there' and he won 3 Cups. That makes him possibly more popular or well known than Rod Brind'Amour, but it doesn't mean he did anything better than Brind'Amour.

Again, this isn't about Carbonneau not being worthy, I just would like an explanation from someone who actually does this voting as to how it is that Guy Carbonneau is a HOFer and Rod Brind'Amour is not. You can't point to a single stat that explains it. They both were defensive rocks. Both dominating in the faceoffs circle and locker room. They both won Cups (Guy had 2 more, some of that could be attributed to being in the right place at the right time though).

That is all this is about for me Habsy. I'm not going to ever say that Guy Carbonneau is not HOF worthy. He was one of if not the best Defensive forwards of his generation. Great, now one of you 18 voting members hiding in the shadows, explain why Rod Brind'Amour isn't also going in if Guy Carbonneau is.

If Carbonneau didn’t play 13 season in Montreal, he’d get into the Hall of Fame the same as you and I...as a paying customer.

Brindy retired in 2010 ... Guy retired in 2000.

He's waited longer, that's all I got.

Guy Carbonneau’s selection— and good for him— sets the path for guys like RBA to get in. More than just points guys.

Flyers re-sign goalie Brian Elliott, 1 year/$2 million. He was coming off a 2 year/$5.5 million contract.

Back