• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 NHL Off Season News Thread

The NHL and NHLPA would be well within their rights to keep a very close eye on whatever happened here with this contract. In theory it would be pretty difficult to prove that there is a side agreement where Lebanc gets a much heftier extension that won't impact the Sharks cap situation this season. But man does this reek of some sort of illegal arrangement to keep the Sharks cap hit for this season artificially low.

Let the theories and maybe investigations begin.

Kevin Lebanc re-ups with the Sharks for 1 year, $1 million

----wait a sec, that can't possibly be accurate, the guy was coming off an entry level deal that saw him put up 8G 12A, 11G 29A, and then 17G 39A last season

Checking....capfriendly.com says 1 year $1 million, so does yahoo.com, so does tsn.ca....

Ok, so someone want to explain what is going on here with this contract? Remember, per the CBA there absolutely cannot be ANY side agreements such as 'hey, we will get you a bunch of endorsements or things to make up for it' and you really are not supposed to have any wink wink arrangements such as 'we will get you on the next one'. How the heck does this kid and his agent accept 1 year $1 million from the Sharks after a 56 points season? What games are they playing out there on the West coast?!??? I'm sure the NHLPA and the rest of his fellow RFAs are not at all appreciative of this contract.

-----

With a nod, nod, wink, wink arrangement to LaBanc and his agent that we need the extra cash and cap space right now to bring back the band with Jumbo Joe and Patty Marleau!!!

:party:

Chicago trades dman Henri Jokiharju to Buffalo for forward Alexander Nylander. I don’t get this one at all, the money is within $70k of being a wash, but both appear headed to the AHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Former Hurricanes legend Ty Rattie, who was non-tendered by Wdmonton, joins Craig MacTavish at Yaroslavl Lokomotiv in the KHL.

Chicago hit a home run with the Dylan Strome trade. Picking up another underachieving top 10 pick at forward seems like a worthwhile endeavor for them, especially now that Henri Jokiharju is at best their #7 Dman with the pickups of de Haan and Määttä. Alexander Nylander has a chance to crack their top 9.

On the flip side for Buffalo, they sure have a lot of aging stiffs on their blueline that are a year away from UFA status (Matt Hunwick, Marco Scandella and Zack Bogosian). I expect they view former late 1st round pick Jokiharju as a candidate for one of those spots next season (if he doesn't crack their blueline this season).

Solid hockey trade.

Matt was one of my all-time favorite players. He had the greatest smile and I couldn't help but respond in kind every time I think about his stint in Raleigh. Here's a great summary that is reflective of his philosophy about choosing NC over Minnesota in 2005:

"I know I've said it before, but really do believe everything happens for a reason. Instead of playing it safe, taking more money and playing in my home of Minnesota, I took a chance on Carolina. I went into that year thinking it could be my last one in the NHL. And I ended it by lifting the Stanley Cup."

Have not seen the video, but that bit about the backyard rink brought back some great memories. It was next door, but my best friend, his older brothers and a couple other neighborhood guys and I sure had a great time on it playing hockey and trying to beat the hell out of each other. Mind you, the other guys were in h/s and we were like 4th/5th grade and his oldest brother was borderline psychopath!

Always loved skating there and on the ponds. Nothing in the world like outdoor skating.

Have not seen the video, but that bit about the backyard rink brought back some great memories. It was next door, but my best friend, his older brothers and a couple other neighborhood guys and I sure had a great time on it playing hockey and trying to beat the hell out of each other. Mind you, the other guys were in h/s and we were like 4th/5th grade and his oldest brother was borderline psychopath!

Always loved skating there and on the ponds. Nothing in the world like outdoor skating.

I agree, coming home from school in the winter growing up and knowing that the pond was waiting for you for a skate and some hockey in the outdoors with your friends was amazing. On my bucket list of things to do is to take my son to Ottawa during the winter to skate on the Rideau Canal. The ice skating surface of the Rideau Canal is the equivalent of 140 NHL rinks!

The Ducks have named Kevin Dineen as coach of the San Diego Gulls in the AHL. He replaces Dallas Eakins who was promoted to the Ducks job. Dineen was most recently on Quenneville’s staff in Chicago but was fired with Q last year.

I skated outdoors as a kid in NJ and it was fun. But from what I hear that area has fewer frozen ponds due to warmer winters. and ponds that do freeze don't stay frozen as long

Blackhawks trade Artem Anisimov to Ottawa for Zach Smith. Both have 2 years left on their contracts, Chicago saves about $1.3 in cap space each year.

That's extra $1.3 million is enough to get Ottawa above the cap floor. Zack Smith is an expensive barely 3rd line mucker so Ottawa upgraded a bit as Anisimov can at least play a little bit still.

Caps sign RFA Jakub Vrana to a 2 year/$6.7 million contract. According to CapFriendly, the Caps are $935k under the cap and still need to sign RFA Christian Djoos.

Elliotte Friedman tweeted that the new Seattle franchise is closing in on naming Ron Francis as their first GM.

Elliotte Friedman tweeted that the new Seattle franchise is closing in on naming Ron Francis as their first GM.

Seattle news is reporting that its past the “closing in” stage. It’s a done deal. Congrats Ronnie. Guess that real estate gig in Raleigh wasn’t doin’ it for ya. Hey Seattle, get ready for a long, slow, and very risk averse building process.

Back