• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 NHL Off Season News Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
OK ... this is intended to be a catch-all thread for off season NHL news and happenings. I'll also start a Hurricanes-specific thread and pin both to the top. When we get closer to the draft, I'll make a separate thread for that.

With any luck, we can talk about some changes to how the league officiates games here at some point. God knows they need to change SOMETHING.

Last edited:
The Rangers are naming John Davidson as their new President later today. He has already resigned his post in Columbus. Good hire by the Rangers ... crushing blow to the Jackets. Davidson is IMO the top executive in the NHL.

Patrick Roy will interview for the head coach job in Ottawa per multiple tweets.

Patrick Roy will interview for the head coach job in Ottawa per multiple tweets.

Look ... I don't ask much, but I've been a relatively good boy and I really, really, REALLY want to watch Roy coaching for Melnyk. PLEASE?

Roy working under Melnyk. Yeah it'll be a short sitcom and cancelled quickly. Maybe Amazon will pick it up.
lol

Sadly, we don’t get our wish. Sens hired Toronto assistant DJ Smith. He’d been on Babcock’s staff for 4 years. He was head coach at Oshawa, winning a Memorial Cup in 2015 and an assistant in Windsor, winning 2 Memorial Cups there.

https://www.tsn.ca/ottawa-senators-name-toronto-maple-leafs-assistant-d-j-smith-head-coach-1.1310327

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more thing on Smith. Babcock’s other assistant, Jim Hiller, is not coming back. He ran the PP for Toronto. The Leafs are expected to hire Paul McFarland away from Florida to fill that role. The Panthers had the 2nd best PP in the league at 26.8%

The Isles have signed Brock Nelson to a new contract. He gets 6 years/$36 million. The salaries go $8.0, $5.2, $8.0, $5.2, $5.6, $4.0. For a guy coming off a career year in points with 53 and a 41 point per 82 game average (21g, 20a) over his 6 year career.

As the cap goes higher, what was a $4 million per year player becomes a $6 million per year player. What was a $6 million per year player becomes an $8 million per year player, etc.

That is all I see happening with that Brock Nelson contract. $6 million is the new $4 million. This is also why Michael Ferland thinks he is worth at least $5 million per.

Last edited:
LeBrun clarified Nelson’s salary. The 1st year is $6.0 salary and $2.0 signing bonus. Everything else is the same.

CapFriendly has the details here.

Next-to-last column is how the cash flows via total salary to average the $6M cap hit.

Couple of $8M seasons, rest begin with a 5 (potential lockout season being one of them, followed by the second $8M salary year), and the last season is $4M in salary.

NTC goes to a modified NTC after two seasons (details of the modified NTC not reported).

Arbitrator Shyam Das screws the league again. He upheld the NHL’s 1 season suspension of Slava Voynov. But he ruled that the suspension clock started ticking during the 2018-19 season, so he’s eligible for reinstatement halfway through the 2019-20 season.

That’s the 2nd time Das has screwed the league on a domestic violence suspension. He reduced Austin Watson’s suspension from 27 games to 18 in October. The league needs a collectively bargained domestic violence policy that is un(polar’s word)withable. Das also reduced Tom Wilson’s suspension last season. Why the NHL doesn’t follow MLBs lead and fire that chode is beyond me.

Back