• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Carolina Hurricanes Off Season Thread

In more Canes alumni news, the Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL hired Jared Staal as an assistant coach. He had been assistant at Okanagan Hockey Academy in Edmonton. The Solar Bears are affiliated with Tampa Bay.

https://orlandosolarbearshockey.com/news/2019/8/solar-bears-hire-jared-staal-as-assistant-coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in Orlando right now ... Jared should wait a couple of weeks to find somewhere to live down here, otherwise he's sure to melt.

I'm in Orlando right now ... Jared should wait a couple of weeks to find somewhere to live down here, otherwise he's sure to melt.

When I was a kid, we used to go to DisneyWorld in the summer because my father was a
teacher. We’d go to the Magic Kingdom (that’s all there was back then) in the morning, go back to the hotel for lunch and a swim, and then back to the park late afternoon. It was hottttttttttttt. Being a good Northern Ontario boy, he’d melt in the summer.

When I was a kid, we used to go to DisneyWorld in the summer because my father was a
teacher. We’d go to the Magic Kingdom (that’s all there was back then) in the morning, go back to the hotel for lunch and a swim, and then back to the park late afternoon. It was hottttttttttttt. Being a good Northern Ontario boy, he’d melt in the summer.

Some genius in my industry booked a conference in Orlando for this coming week. I am not very excited about spending three days there in August.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P
Some genius in my industry booked a conference in Orlando for this coming week. I am not very excited about spending three days there in August.

That’s worth a severe ass kicking.

Hope you get more rain that we've had the last couple of days. People complain about the afternoon storms in central Florida but the truth is, those are all that's keeping you from living in a permanent state of slowly being cooked sous vide.

In my case ... I never come to Florida in August, but this is my company's 20th Anniversary and we're kind of stuck with August as a date.

Waddell’s contract is for 3 years. Also Eric Tulsky has a 5 year contract, so less concern about Francis poaching him.

Was good to see that despite his professed casual feelings about contracts for employees that Dundon met the NHL requirement for having a GM under contract by the end of August with something more than a one-year contract for Waddell.

Also multiple sources reporting that Waddell still carries the dual titles of President and GM.

Tulsky on a five-year contract is also very comforting, although "being on..." is different from "just signed". So here's hoping that five-year count began with his promotion to VP of Hockey Management and Strategy last summer instead of his initial employment four years ago. Suspect it is the former situation since that move was done under the more conservative Francis regime.

EDIT: So Past Francis stymies Present Francis from poaching Tulsky. Thank you Past Francis.

So Past Francis stymies Present Francis from poaching Tulsky. Thank you Past Francis.

This is really funny. Ronnie's work with this franchise produced some good things and some bad things. I suspect he's still learning the business of hockey and that he'll be a fine GM ultimately. In fact, I wish him all the best.

Tulsky on a five-year contract is also very comforting, although "being on..." is different from "just signed". So here's hoping that five-year count began with his promotion to VP of Hockey Management and Strategy last summer instead of his initial employment four years ago. Suspect it is the former situation since that move was done under the more conservative Francis regime.

EDIT: So Past Francis stymies Present Francis from poaching Tulsky. Thank you Past Francis.

As I poke around, I see Francis being shown the door in April of 2018 and the Tulsky VP announcement occurring in July 2018. So assume the promotion was part of the reshuffling of Team Borg after Francis.

Still hoping that five-year contract began then and not when first employed.

Glad this is finally put to rest. Should we thank the Wild for making this move forward?

Seems like the summer of giving thanks!

Thanks to Montreal for moving along the Aho contract at an affordable AAV, (shout out to Habsy and Habspatrol).
Thanks to Minnesota for getting Dandy Don a new contract as Canes GM.
Thanks to Florida for taking on the Scott Darling contract!
Thanks to Toronto for trading away their first round pick!
Thanks to Justin Williams for coming back for one more year...

Thanks to Montreal for moving along the Aho contract at an affordable AAV, (shout out to Habsy and Habspatrol).

One of these things is not like the others...at least not yet.

As I poke around, I see Francis being shown the door in April of 2018 and the Tulsky VP announcement occurring in July 2018. So assume the promotion was part of the reshuffling of Team Borg after Francis.

Still hoping that five-year contract began then and not when first employed.

Dundon said in the presser that Tulsky asked for a contract so he gave him one. So that timeline fits.

somehow I had missed the Darling move this summer. Thanks for the info; sort of like finding that crisp one dollar bill in the washing machine. Nice!

Dundon said in the presser that Tulsky asked for a contract so he gave him one. So that timeline fits.

For a guy who doesn't seem to put much stock in contracts, that one is a good one to have. Keeps the poachers at bay.

Tulsky might be the hardest strategic asset to replace...if he's even "replaceable".

His leadership through the data tsunami that is about to become reality with a trackable puck and trackers in the players shoulder pads is going to be Advantage Carolina.

Back