• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Carolina Hurricanes Off Season Thread

Forsling is coming off his entry level deal and doesn’t have arbitration rights. Over the last 2 seasons, he played 84 games for the Blackhawks and only 23 for Rockford. I’m guessing the Canes want him to sign another 2 way deal and he’s not interested.

Forsberg filed for arbitration. His hearing is August 4, the last day hearings are held.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forsling has played enough to have earned a 1 year 1 way show me deal. He is not waivers exempt. If that is really the hold up then I don't blame him or his agent for threatening to bolt to Europe if the Canes are only offering a 2 way. He has played 122 NHL games, 84 in the last 2 seasons. Yeah he is no better than a #7 dman, but he is an experienced #7 dman.

I don't give him 2 years 1 way...MAYBE 2 years with the first being 2 way with a guaranteed minimum and the 2nd being a 1 way. If he walks it's not the end of the world, but it would press Bean Carrick or McKeown into NHL duty while TVR is out.

Last edited:
Tripped across these two The Mining Journal articles regarding "former NMU defenseman" Don Waddell on three separate occasions this weekend. So perhaps some of you have already read them.

Good background info, quotes, and insights within:

A man who starts new things (part 1 of 2)

A busy man with a busy job (part 2 of 2)

Note the identification of value aspect of his (and no doubt, the Borg's) approach to assets.

This front office knows when to hold them and when to fold them.

And indeed one of the first rules of negotiation is that you have to know your walk point.

You know, it occurred to me over the weekend that after all the speculation of which of our right-shot D-men would be dealt this off-season for scoring help in a D-for-O trade to balance assets, that it actually turned into de Haan for Haula & Dzingel in a roundabout manner.

Pesce basically supplanting de Haan at the 2LD spot on his off-side and finding offensive success doing so.

Salary shifted to the O side of things with two middle-six scoring forwards added with the D corps backfilled by an ELC-player-to-be-named later, although presumed to be Fleury.

Of course there were a lot more moving parts involved, including Forsberg (goalie). But that is the essence of what happened at the roster level.

We also still need to have some sort of resolution with Justin Faulk and his contract situation. I'm not particularly keen on entering the season with him unsigned and having us play it out and watching him walk in the off season for nothing.

Capfriendly is showing it at 1 year 1 way at $850k. Which is fair considering he isn't waiver exempt anymore and is pretty much penned is as our 3rd pair LD. Forsling is in the same situation as Fleury is coming off his entry level deal and is also not waivers exempt anymore. A fair contract for Forsling should be similar to what Fleury just signed, maybe for a bit higher salary.

Fleury signs a 1 year deal.

He’s not waivers exempt anymore either. It’s a 1 way deal at $850k, which appears less than his QO, which would have been $874,125, based on 105% of last year’s $832,500 salary.

Forsling signed his QO, a 1 year, 2 way deal at $874,125 with a $70k salary in the AHL.

Even better on Forsling. We don't care if we lose him to waivers as much as we care about Fleury. I could see the Canes trying to slip Forsling through waivers before the season starts or after TVR is fully back and sticking him in the AHL as a cost savings, so that being a 2 way matters. That said, Forsling wouldn't have been out of bounds in holding out for a 1 way. I'm glad he didn't.

Even better on Forsling. We don't care if we lose him to waivers as much as we care about Fleury. I could see the Canes trying to slip Forsling through waivers before the season starts or after TVR is fully back and sticking him in the AHL as a cost savings, so that being a 2 way matters. That said, Forsling wouldn't have been out of bounds in holding out for a 1 way. I'm glad he didn't.

Or even a guarantee like Bishop got. Forsling has played 40 more NHL games than Fleury, he doesn’t have the 1st round pedigree.

Dom Lyzscyysyzcyzstatguyycyszyycyscyycycsyczscsn at the Athletic rated all team's contract efficiency. Canes were rated #1. Said Dom:: "t should come as no surprise that the Hurricanes rank as the league’s most cap efficient team. It wasn’t all that close either." Sadly for Ottawa fans, the Sens ranked #28. They've spent very little money, but what they have spent, they've spent poorly.

Just read Dom Gotta Buy A Vowel's article. While most of the analytics are over my head, it's hard to argue with the conclusion. We've got a young team with most players signed to excellent contracts. Hmmm....maybe Dundon and Waddell knew what they were doing all along.

Canes have 5 contracts in the A range, the most in the league (average is 2):
Aho, Teravainen, Slavin, Pesce, and Hamilton

Canes have 5 contracts in the A range, the most in the league (average is 2):
Aho, Teravainen, Slavin, Pesce, and Hamilton

To be fair, we inherited Hamilton’s contract. But the Sharks are paying Karlsson and Burns $19.5 million and the Canes entire defense corps is $23.9 million, with the top 4 at $19.9 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canes spin on the Hamilton contract would be the recognition of value in that contract driving the trade.

EDIT: Flames at #12 have the Lindholm contract graded A- but the Hanifin contract graded C+.

Last edited:
Back