Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: 2019 Carolina Hurricanes Off Season Thread

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2019 Carolina Hurricanes Off Season Thread

Forsling is coming off his entry level deal and doesnít have arbitration rights. Over the last 2 seasons, he played 84 games for the Blackhawks and only 23 for Rockford. Iím guessing the Canes want him to sign another 2 way deal and heís not interested.

Forsberg filed for arbitration. His hearing is August 4, the last day hearings are held.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Forsling has played enough to have earned a 1 year 1 way show me deal. He is not waivers exempt. If that is really the hold up then I don't blame him or his agent for threatening to bolt to Europe if the Canes are only offering a 2 way. He has played 122 NHL games, 84 in the last 2 seasons. Yeah he is no better than a #7 dman, but he is an experienced #7 dman.

I don't give him 2 years 1 way...MAYBE 2 years with the first being 2 way with a guaranteed minimum and the 2nd being a 1 way. If he walks it's not the end of the world, but it would press Bean Carrick or McKeown into NHL duty while TVR is out.
    Last edited by cmaleski2; 07-15-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Tripped across these two The Mining Journal articles regarding "former NMU defenseman" Don Waddell on three separate occasions this weekend. So perhaps some of you have already read them.

Good background info, quotes, and insights within:

A man who starts new things (part 1 of 2)

A busy man with a busy job (part 2 of 2)

Note the identification of value aspect of his (and no doubt, the Borg's) approach to assets.

This front office knows when to hold them and when to fold them.

And indeed one of the first rules of negotiation is that you have to know your walk point.
    Here we are now...entertain us.

Post Thanks / Like

Good news, although probably not worthy of its own thread...Canes re-sign Bishop to a one-year, two-way deal...

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/...al/c-308263398

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeyKurtz View Post
    Good news, although probably not worthy of its own thread...Canes re-sign Bishop to a one-year, two-way deal...

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/...al/c-308263398
    The $80k guarantee ($15k incremental over his AHL contract) is really only 5 or so days on the NHL roster. Last year, he spent 60 days on the Canes roster and cost $224k against the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You know, it occurred to me over the weekend that after all the speculation of which of our right-shot D-men would be dealt this off-season for scoring help in a D-for-O trade to balance assets, that it actually turned into de Haan for Haula & Dzingel in a roundabout manner.

Pesce basically supplanting de Haan at the 2LD spot on his off-side and finding offensive success doing so.

Salary shifted to the O side of things with two middle-six scoring forwards added with the D corps backfilled by an ELC-player-to-be-named later, although presumed to be Fleury.

Of course there were a lot more moving parts involved, including Forsberg (goalie). But that is the essence of what happened at the roster level.
    Here we are now...entertain us.

Post Thanks / Like

We also still need to have some sort of resolution with Justin Faulk and his contract situation. I'm not particularly keen on entering the season with him unsigned and having us play it out and watching him walk in the off season for nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, lets not get Dzingeled.

Post Thanks / Like

Fleury signs a 1 year deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Capfriendly is showing it at 1 year 1 way at $850k. Which is fair considering he isn't waiver exempt anymore and is pretty much penned is as our 3rd pair LD. Forsling is in the same situation as Fleury is coming off his entry level deal and is also not waivers exempt anymore. A fair contract for Forsling should be similar to what Fleury just signed, maybe for a bit higher salary.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
    Fleury signs a 1 year deal.
    He’s not waivers exempt anymore either. It’s a 1 way deal at $850k, which appears less than his QO, which would have been $874,125, based on 105% of last year’s $832,500 salary.

Forsling signed his QO, a 1 year, 2 way deal at $874,125 with a $70k salary in the AHL.

Post Thanks / Like

Even better on Forsling. We don't care if we lose him to waivers as much as we care about Fleury. I could see the Canes trying to slip Forsling through waivers before the season starts or after TVR is fully back and sticking him in the AHL as a cost savings, so that being a 2 way matters. That said, Forsling wouldn't have been out of bounds in holding out for a 1 way. I'm glad he didn't.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmaleski2 View Post
    Even better on Forsling. We don't care if we lose him to waivers as much as we care about Fleury. I could see the Canes trying to slip Forsling through waivers before the season starts or after TVR is fully back and sticking him in the AHL as a cost savings, so that being a 2 way matters. That said, Forsling wouldn't have been out of bounds in holding out for a 1 way. I'm glad he didn't.
    Or even a guarantee like Bishop got. Forsling has played 40 more NHL games than Fleury, he doesn’t have the 1st round pedigree.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920