• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Carolina Hurricanes Off Season Thread

Having grown up in Hendersonville, about 30 minutes away, Greenville and Spartanburg both were not the height of pleasant living. But now, great arts, good healthcare and hockey! BMW really helped revitalize both of them.

True ... or at least most of the heavy lifting was done in the timeframe when BMW built that plant. Spartanburg lagged behind Greenville, but has really boomed of late as well. It's a nice region now. Certainly wasn't back in the day.

Greenville is probably my favorite inland southern city that isn't in the mountains ... hello Asheville. And yeah, they were WAY ahead of the revitalization curve in the south. Downtown Greenville is as pleasant as any small-ish city center I've ever spent time in.

Ditto, and Knoxville is another one for me... at least in the summertime when the students are gone. I found it to be a pleasant surprise.

More and more talk about possible offer sheets to this seasons top RFAs, including Aho.

6 mil is Jordan Staal money
Kid deserves 8.6-9 mil for 5-7 years. make it 9.5 if its 7.

What the heck is going on here...

More and more talk about possible offer sheets to this seasons top RFAs, including Aho.

6 mil is Jordan Staal money
Kid deserves 8.6-9 mil for 5-7 years. make it 9.5 if its 7.

What the heck is going on here...

What's going on is the agents for these RFAs are flooding their media shills with "rumors" about "potential offer sheets" from teams who have simply called to see where the player is setting his value so they can evaluate the risk. That's IT.

Sweat this stuff when it matters, which is not now.

All an Aho offer sheet will do is close out the negotiations and eliminate this dragging out for the Canes. That actually might not be the worst thing to happen as the Canes will be faced with a set contract offer to either accept or not.

As for all this talk about how Aho is the guy to go after because the Canes are 'low budget'....hate to break this to any team thinking about offer sheeting Aho, but last I checked, Tom Dundon is our owner and that guy has so much money that trying to structure an Aho contract with large signing bonuses and severe front loading isn't going to create an insurmountable obstacle for the Canes. I've heard and read a few times the suggestion that the Canes could have a hard time if someone offer sheeted Aho with signing bonuses and front loading. I don't think that is the case at all. I might have worried about that if PK was still the majority owner, but PK and his money concerns are long gone now and Dundon is flush with cash.

So if someone wants to go all nutty and do this:

7 years $65 million

Year 1 - $12 million ($11 million signing bonus)
Year 2 - $10 million ($10 million signing bonus)
Year 3 - $10 million ($9 million signing bonus)
Year 4 - $9 million ($8 million signing bonus)
Year 5 - $9 million ($8 million signing bonus)
Year 6 - $8 million ($7 million signing bonus)
Year 7 - $7 million ($6 million signing bonus)

All that going to do is piss off the Canes. Dundon can cover a contract that is front loaded and signing bonus heavy. That is not at all a concern.

What is going to end up happening here with a lot of these big name RFAs is they are going to sign shorter deals an bank on UFA status in their primes when the Cap likely shoots up to $90+ million due to new and more lucrative TV deals. Think 5 years $40 million for Aho now for example, and then, assuming he is a 80-100 point guy over those 5 seasons, he looks for $12 million + per year on a long term deal later on.

Who the heck can afford to offer sheet Aho for $9 to $10 million per anyways? Not a lot of teams out there that could do that to begin with.

Also, do you really want to piss off an owner with deep pockets and a deep farm system (that just had what many are saying is the best draft this year), who might say "screw the gentleman's agreement on RFAs" and goes big game hunting

If there is ever another offer sheet of any kind you would think it's this year or bust with all those great RFA's...so time will tell, but most of these GM's do not want to be blackballed by their fellow brotherhood for future trades and discussions. These guys are all for the most part old boy network GM's that do not want to be the black sheep of the fraternity.

What scares me about Waddell after watching him at the draft table with Dundon, he seems like a guy that always has Dundon following him around whispering in his ear...so if Dundon wanted to be crazy enough to offer sheet someone, poor Don would likely have to just do what the boss says and hell be damned on everything else.

If there is ever another offer sheet of any kind you would think it's this year or bust with all those great RFA's

You know what? This this gets said maybe not every year, but often enough. And the actual offer sheets? Where have they been?

Remember just how many times somebody reported that some team was sniffing around thinking about an offer sheet on Nylander last year? Including the Canes? I'd guess fully half those "reports" came from little Billy's agent and the media clods made up the rest. Nobody was willing to give up the picks ... because that's the way this system is set up. It's too punitive to serve any real purpose. It's setup so you both have to over-pay for a proven good player AND mortgage the foreseeable future in the draft if you're even going to pull off an offer sheet transaction on a player of any significance. One or the the other is a high enough bar to make such a thing rare, but both together all but guarantee that nobody ever really gets a sheet.

I've heard it called a "gentlemen's agreement" so many times it makes my head spin. It's nothing of the sort. The owners decided they didn't want to allow each other to poach young talent without paying so stiff a price as to make it completely and totally unlikely. Which just serves their larger purpose of restricting contract growth. There's no gentlemen involved and the only thing they agreed to do was to keep screwing the players out of anything like real leverage until they're in the late 20s.

@LukeDeCock: Hurricanes will buy out Marleau, Don Waddell said. Owe him his $3 million signing bonus now and $833,333 split over the next two years.

Marleau's deal was structured with Toronto to include a $3 million signing bonus paid out on July 1st, 2019 as part of the money owed on the third year of the contract.

Holy crap....I missed that entirely when this deal was announced. So we pay his signing bonus? That stinks.

It was a purchase of a 1st round pick for $3.88 million. Something that would have never happened under PK's ownership. Also something that should make clear to all other teams that the Canes are not going to fear offer sheets and signing bonuses. Because yeah, we buy 1st round picks for almost $4 million.

Even if it had happened under PK's ownership, JR was not particularly great in the draft and probably would have selected the next Ryan Murphy with the pick while letting Torey Krug walk. Francis might have gotten another Gauthier or Aho out of it. We'll see what Waddell does next year with it.

Well, it's official, the Canes moved to buy out Patrick Marleau late Thursday afternoon after not being successful in getting him to play here. Did they try all that hard?

Well, it's official, the Canes moved to buy out Patrick Marleau late Thursday afternoon after not being successful in getting him to play here. Did they try all that hard?

Probably not. His family already moved back to San Jose, but it’s no slam dunk that they’ll be able to afford him. They have just under $15 million in cap space but only 7 forwards and 6 dmen under contract. Labanc and Meier are restricted and Donskoi, Pavelski, Thornton, and Nyquist are unrestricted.

It was a purchase of a 1st round pick for $3.88 million. Something that would have never happened under PK's ownership. Also something that should make clear to all other teams that the Canes are not going to fear offer sheets and signing bonuses. Because yeah, we buy 1st round picks for almost $4 million.

I've seen writers make the case that the Canes are really the first to trade what amounts to cash for a 1st rounder, and thus we've set the market cost. I'm good with that.

Back