• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Carolina Hurricanes Off Season Thread

Maybe the rumor on Tripp going was a prelude to Bales being announced and now Tripp can be the goalie coach.

FWIW, I've now heard that Tripp and John are close to new deals. Same source, so ... who the heck knows? I'd love to see Tripp replaced by a local former player with some personality like Cole or Arron Ward, but whatever ... the guys on the team inexplicably seem to love the guy.

Speaking of rumors ... it's starting to sound like the Canes probably won't be able to make it work financially to bring back both McIlhenney and Mrazek. Seems the two fellas both want to be paid like starters, even if they're going to be sharing the crease ... and honestly, you can't blame them since somebody else will all but certainly take them up on it come July 1. We'll see how it plays out, but I suspect the Canes may be kicking the tires on other options.

Speaking of rumors ... it's starting to sound like the Canes probably won't be able to make it work financially to bring back both McIlhenney and Mrazek. Seems the two fellas both want to be paid like starters, even if they're going to be sharing the crease ... and honestly, you can't blame them since somebody else will all but certainly take them up on it come July 1. We'll see how it plays out, but I suspect the Canes may be kicking the tires on other options.

With all due respect, McIlhenney is old, he's nowhere close to an NHL starter at this stage of his career that can handle the workload, I guess I get the fact he wants to parlay his great numbers this past season into one last nice contract, but let's be fair, he's a reliable, veteran backup that can be counted on for 25-35 starts. I think the Canes would be doing the right thing by signing Mrazek for a 3-4 year deal as the starter and either take a chance with Ned as the backup or perhaps sign another UFA guy with some experience that just wants a NHL one way contract (Neuvirth, Elliott, Kinkaid) types.

I suspect they'll end up with a Mrazek/Ned tandem and as I've said before ... I'm fine with that. Note that some rumors indicate that Canes have been in contact with Lehner's agent and that his re-signing on the Island is far from guaranteed. Again ... rumors ... NOT "reports" ... big difference.

Frank Seravalli tweeted that there is a “belief” (how is that different than a rumor?) that the Jets offered LW Nikolaj Ehlers to the Canes for a righty dman.

Ehlers is 23 and going into the 2nd year of a 7 year/$42 million contract which alternates between $6.5 million and $4.75 million actual for the next 5 years before $6.75 million in the last year. He had 21g, 16a in 62 games last year but had 2 straight 60 point seasons before that, scoring 54 goals over those seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would have been interesting, but again Ehlers is a winger not a center. Waddell shouldn't overplay our hand, but we are also going to open the season possibly without 2 of our top 6 due to injury. It needs to be a great deal to part with a dman.

That would have been interesting, but again Ehlers is a winger not a center. Waddell shouldn't overplay our hand, but we are also going to open the season possibly without 2 of our top 6 due to injury. It needs to be a great deal to part with a dman.

They can have McKeown.

The analytics community seems to love Adam Henrique as a buy low steal on the trade market this summer for teams with the cap space. He could be an interesting option at center for the Canes, only 29, averages around 23 goals and 50 points every year over the past 5 years and a very reliable player at both ends of the ice.

The Ehlers proposal is one of the better ones I've heard about. I like Ehlers better than the rumors about Kapanen. I'd prefer a trade for a Center or Right Wing to help alleviate the wearing down on Williams. But, we still have a left wing slot open with Ferland's UFA departure. If Winnipeg sweetens the deal, why not? WI don't see the Hurricanes parting with Pesce and RBA has a man crush on Faulk, so I could see the piece we part with as being Hamilton or TVR. I get we start the season with TVR and deHaan being out due to shoulders, but deHaan is a lefty and so are Bean and Fleury who might fill in for him without significant drop off (Bean was terrific in the playoffs).

The analytics community seems to love Adam Henrique as a buy low steal on the trade market this summer for teams with the cap space. He could be an interesting option at center for the Canes, only 29, averages around 23 goals and 50 points every year over the past 5 years and a very reliable player at both ends of the ice.

I like Henrique a lot. He'd fit the system here nicely, but since he's signed through 2023-24 and we already have a similar player in terms of production signed long term (Staal), I'm not sure anybody should be breaking the bank to bring him to Raleigh. If you indeed can get him on the cheap to free up cap and kid space for Anaheim then, fine. He's certainly a solid all purpose NHL center, but he's a not a roster-changer.

well the Canes probably are not going downtown any time soon but it seems like a new 20k soccer stadium is planned for downtown.
$1.9 billion investment from NCFC and Kane.

they probably asked the Canes about this area or they may ask them soon.

20k is of course the same amount of parking the Canes would need . Kane seems to have the magic touch these days so maybe this will happen.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncfc-...-multi-use-soccer-complex-next-week/18458998/

Last edited:
On the David Glenn show, Waddell says they’re really close to renewing Forslund’s contract. So while we’re waiting to hear about Aho and the goalies, we have that bit of news to cheer us up.

The Ehlers proposal is one of the better ones I've heard about. I like Ehlers better than the rumors about Kapanen. I'd prefer a trade for a Center or Right Wing to help alleviate the wearing down on Williams. But, we still have a left wing slot open with Ferland's UFA departure. If Winnipeg sweetens the deal, why not? WI don't see the Hurricanes parting with Pesce and RBA has a man crush on Faulk, so I could see the piece we part with as being Hamilton or TVR. I get we start the season with TVR and deHaan being out due to shoulders, but deHaan is a lefty and so are Bean and Fleury who might fill in for him without significant drop off (Bean was terrific in the playoffs).

Ehlers for Faulk is something that would make sense, the Canes with a top 4 on D of Slavin-Pesce and Hamilton-de Haan with TVR and one of Fleury/Bean rounding out the third pairing is still a great blue line and Nik Ehlers is a fine top 6 forward that could pair really well with Aho or Svech on a line for years to come from an offensive standpoint. The Canes could always sign a veteran D for depth and support in free agency to offset any start of the season concerns on the health of TVR and de Haan to offset the loss of a right shot D via trade.

Back