• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Carolina Hurricanes Off Season Thread

Looks to me like Columbus is gearing up for a total re-set based on the moves they've made thus far. But who knows? Maybe they can pull some big changes out of their hats late in the process. Either way, they certainly aren't trending up ...

100% agree. Outside of the crapitals that haven’t changed much I think the metro will be a bit of a crapshoot. Unless the pens make a move.
Some of the chatter on the other threads has me looking at the Metro and thinking about this idea that everybody's getting better this off season. Ya know what? I don't think that's really as true as people seem to think. I don't think Pittsburgh has done a single thing that makes sense, and Washington hasn't done anything at all really other than chip away at their support scoring. The Isles have probably gotten worse to this point and the Blue Jackets DEFINITELY have gotten worse. The Rangers and Devils have gotten a LOT better, but they were starting pretty far back from the pack.

Again, it's early days in terms of camp rosters but I have no issues with where the Canes currently sit compared to their direct competition.

Agreed, Brian Gibbons fits into that NHL/AHL vet role. He is not a kid, has NHL experience, and if you end up carrying him around the NHL team for a while is making the league minimum and you can put him in the press box without any kind of concerns about development. Perfect 4th line NHL, vet leadership in AHL, won't kill you out there type of guy. If someone in the top 9 get dinged you can slide up Foegele and stick Gibbons in his place on the 4th line or even put Gibbons on the 3rd line.

All that said, Gibbons is more of a small skilled guy (5'7") than a bigger physical plugger like Patrick Brown. He is useful as your #13/14/15 organizational forward if you don't want to put kids into situations they are not ready for.

100% agree. Outside of the crapitals that haven’t changed much I think the metro will be a bit of a crapshoot. Unless the pens make a move.

If the Pens keep making the kind of moves they've made already, I think they might be screwed.

This one probably is not worthy of its own thread...Canes sign former Senators forward Brian Gibbons to a two-way deal...

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-sign-brian-gibbons-to-one-year-two-way-deal/c-308190486

Perfectly serviceable veteran depth guy. Gibbons is little, but annoying and he plays a high pressure game well. I mostly remember him from his stint with the Devils a couple of seasons ago when he was a very effective pressing wing on their 3rd and 4th lines. He can slide back and forth as needed and gives you the kind of veteran guy to plug into a bottom six slot if you have some injuries ... in the Kegger/Brown mold. Clearly he's past the point where he's got a lot of upside but I think Brindy will like having him around as a just in case option.

If I had to guess, the Canes parobably want to add at least one more of this type of veteran forward and probably a D as well. Charlotte took a hit with their more experienced guys moving on to bigger opportunities, which was to be expected given their success. That's fine, but you have to give the kiddie corps down there some veteran bones to hold things together.

Dennis Robertson leaves the Cherkers and signs with HC Bolzano of the Austrian League. The club is located in Italy; the league has 8 Austrian clubs and 1 in each of Italy, Hungary and the Czech Republic.

How do you pronounce Fensore, the italian or american way?

American pronunciation, I think. I noticed him a bit at the World Juniors but mostly because he was so little. He held his own and was a really good skater. That was obvious but it's tough to get a sense of anything more in depth on the TV ... especially with defensemen. I need to sit behind them in the D zone to get a feel for how they actually play.

When New Jersey wears a Colorado jersey, Calgary wears an Atlanta jersey, or the Avs wear a Quebec jersey, let me know. Toronto wearing an old Toronto jersey is a major fail to prove your point. Major fail.

I'm sure a lot of St Pats fans are angry at the city of Toronto for stealing their team, and moving them. Wait...

Last edited:
Can you explain your hatred of the Whalers jersey nights? It was just a marketing gimmick. Just like 3rd jerseys, Bunch of jerks T shirts, Star Wars night and so on.

Since it happens in the NBA, NFL and MLB it's common. I don't think they have fans throwing tantrums about the old jerseys in those leagues.

So what exactly is the big deal about it to you? Are you afraid of people making fun of the Canes move or something? There has to be some reason for you getting so upset about it. Do you think it's some big insult to Hartford? Most of those fans either moved on long ago or are Canes fans.

I am a SF Giants fan because my Dad was a fan of them in NY. I don't know if they have worn NY Giants jerseys in SF. If they do it won't bother me.

Last edited:
Back