• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Free Agent Season

I think OKC used Raps for leverage. kawhi wanted to go home. If it was just about winning, he would have stayed

This. OKC did the right thing and just hung the threat of a Raptors deal out there to extract max value, and did they ever.

Woj had an article last night saying if the Clippers hadn’t got George, he was going to the Lakers. Raptors were just used as leverage. Mannix on the Bill Simmons podcast said the Raps were so mad with the Clippers season long tampering, Masai was just driving up the price for the Clippers

Woj had an article last night saying if the Clippers hadn’t got George, he was going to the Lakers. Raptors were just used as leverage. Mannix on the Bill Simmons podcast said the Raps were so mad with the Clippers season long tampering, Masai was just driving up the price for the Clippers

I'm of the opinion that these people who were so clearly very wrong about literally everything for weeks now, can't be trusted to monday morning quarterback the situation. The entire US basketball media was full of shit this entire time, making up shit as they went along. I don't care what they're saying now that the dust has settled. They're trying to save face and generate click worthy hot takes, the whole lot of them.

He was going home. Full stop. Otherwise no point leaving 50M and another great shot at a ring.

He’s arguably got a better shot with Clippers....with no stars, they took 2 games from a fully healthy Warriors team in round 1...

And now they just got Kawhi-PG, add the fact that outside of Lebron-Davis, most of the top guys are in the East now. Uncle Denis played his cards right.

We'll never know but given all the roster changes league wide, the path to Finals seemed pretty sweet. Don't discount further progression for Siakam and OG.

If you're spending big money on scrubs like lucic, be afraid of the cap because that money squeezes out talent.

If your spending big money on talent, don't be afraid, because it squeezes out the scrubs

It squeezes out everyone scrubs and good players if your capped out

I can justify it if you got rings plugged in your ears like the Hawks and you are forced to dump players

Cant wait to see them navigate this ship in the next 3 years

I'm going to jack a post I made earlier on the Leafs board

Yeah, I'm struggling with the entire narrative that some of these guys are working off of right now.

We have 55 million in salary committed next season on 10 forwards, 1 defender and 1 goalie...which sounds bad until you list them

F - Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kapanen, Hyman, Moore, Petan, Agostino
D - Rielly
G - Freddy

Assuming Marner for 10 million, that's 65 million committed for the vast majority of our core. That's a legit elite top 9 forward group and a top 5ish defender in the world. So that will leave somewhere in the range of 18-20 million dollars to sign: Muzzin, Barrie, Dermott and depth.

Assuming we opt to just keep everyone, Muzzin is looking at Stralmanish money (5.5), Barrie is looking at probably just under Carlson money (7.5ish) and Dermott is probably looking at 2.5ish on a short term deal. He hasn't really established himself as a top 4 defender yet and looks destined to be stuck on the 3rd pairing again this year.

So there's the entire top 9, top 4, and starting G signed for ~80 million. Fill in the rest with kids (Sandin, Lilly, etc) and veteran minimum types (Spezza, Agostino) that tickle the right analytics spots and we're good to go.

I just don't see the problems these people are talking about. Oh, we don't have the salary cap room to sign mediocre free agents in areas of "need"...no, sorry, we spent it on John Tavares and a Rielly-Muzzin-Barrie top 3. If good kids are able to push their way up the lineup, we can trade some of those veteran bodies that are getting paid.

We can fit every player worth anything into ~85 million next summer. The following summer (2021), the only players we'll need to re-sign or replace are Hyman and Andersen, at about a 87-90 million dollar cap (with about 12 million in room). The following year would be Rielly, Lilly and Sandin. So yeah, our only potential cap problem is 3 years away in 2022. If Rielly is a 10 million defender by then, that's a hell of a good problem to have.

If you're spending big money on scrubs like lucic, be afraid of the cap because that money squeezes out talent.

If your spending big money on talent, don't be afraid, because it squeezes out the scrubs

+1

If you're paying for Chiarots and Alzners, your development pipeline ****ed up.

Back