• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Free Agent Season

Go look at the worst contracts in the NHL. There's a few lists out there, just go on Google.

Virtually every single one of those players were signed around the same age and as free agents or right as they were about to become free agents, see Bobby Ryan & Justin Abdelkader. Almost all of them were signed in their late 20s. Almost all of them had career years right around when they became free agents. Almost all of them saw decline in their play immediately.

But sure, let's jump head first into those "free" assets.

What's another decade of mediocrity when you can be the kings of free agency?

Yup they can join Alzner in Laval

Your dreaming if Jordan effen Eberle at 29 is going to move our needle .

Go ahead hand him a 7/7 year contract and we see how this turns out in a few years .

His 40 points will look great in his 30’s on a team going nowhere .

Luckily he isn’t signing with us .

I say this every FA period and thankfully I'm usually right.

We get the odd surprise like alzner on occasion but the damage from that is usually limited

If this belongs in rumors thread vs UFA - mods pls move.

Don Brennan of Ottawa Sun on Karlsson:

While the two-time Norris Trophy winner is expected to be the most coveted free agent available when the market opens on July 1, a well-connected source says that he hopes to receive competitive offers from two teams in particular — the Senators and the Montreal Canadiens.

Why?

Because his wife, Melinda, who was born and raised in Ottawa, is “homesick” and would very much like to live close to her family again.

Good reason.

While Toronto and Buffalo are also relatively close to Canada’s capital, the source says that, as far as he knows, they’re not on the Karlsson’s list.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey...t-be-more-inclined-to-consider-senators-offer

Iirc the rumored issue with Sens offer was Melnyk being unwilling to front load the contract with bonuses.

Yup all top end free agents want the Tavares lockout , buyout , idiot proof front loaded deal .

He probably will lose 30 plus mil in a deal this summer .

These assets come with no movement clauses where the player controls the process.

Even trying to move them that team will never get fair value.

Like GPX says unless your a HHOF talent your declining in your early 30’s .

Go try moving Getzlaf and his 3 years remaining and get fair value.

Problem is all these contracts come with a heavy price , none are team friendly.

For free assets, I don't care about fair value, as long as it's not a negative value. Alzner has negative value right now, Getzlaf doesn't, you can still unload him and get assets in return.

For free assets, I don't care about fair value, as long as it's not a negative value. Alzner has negative value right now, Getzlaf doesn't, you can still unload him and get assets in return.

Moving a Getzlaf who controls the process will net the Ducks another shit contract or junk assets offsetting his contract . They wont make a sound hockey deal right now .

Moving a Getzlaf who controls the process will net the Ducks another shit contract or junk assets offsetting his contract . They wont make a sound hockey deal right now .

Not necessarily a sound hockey deal but Getzlaf still has value for many teams and the Ducks shouldn't have to take on a bunch of junk to offload it. He still produces, has a reputation, and only 2 years left on his contract.
Perry or Kesler would be different stories however.

Iirc the rumored issue with Sens offer was Melnyk being unwilling to front load the contract with bonuses.

To me that has to be the biggest drawback to playing for the Sens, a cheap owner that puts success behind money.

Refusing to front load a deal to your franchise player and captain is an a whole other level of crappy ownership

I can’t see why any top UFA would even consider going there with this clown as an owner

Well...when it comes to UFAs who doesn’t get overpaid?

This year the supply of quality UFAs is quite high so there’s a chance players are worried about getting a match. I expect lower terms and prices for UFAs, especially since there are many good RFAs that will get paid. This is a unique year.

Eberle can be had for 5 years at 6 or 6.5 and I’d be good with that.

With the extra tax rates in La Belle Province my call on Eberle was spot on.

I repeat, the market is oversupplied this year, prices and term will be low. They better take advantage of that.

I’d even be willing to do short term deals for vets, say 2-3 years at a reasonable AAV for guys like Pavelski and Edler...help the youth and keep trying to win without compromising long term cap space.

Last edited:
With the extra tax rates in La Belle Province my call on Eberle was spot on.

I repeat, the market is oversupplied this year, prices and term will be low. They better take advantage of that.

I’d even be willing to do short term deals for vets, say 2-3 years at a reasonable AAV for guys like Pavelski and Edler...help the youth and keep trying to win without compromising long term cap space.

The market is always oversupplied with vets looking to get overpaid

Bob McKenzie:
All signs are pointing to Erik Karlsson returning to SJ and re-signing with the Sharks, which would take the most prominent name off the 2019 UFA board.

Back