• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 NHL Draft Thread

At #83 the Canes select D Anttoni Honka, so two Finns in a row.

Higher rated than the forward we took ahead of him, and he played in the men's league most of last season. I like his brother, who plays with Dallas. So if he turns out even kind of similarly, we probably got real value with this pick.

At #90 Canes take Domenick Fensore from the USNTD ... 5'8" defenseman with wheels and skill. Sharp passer.

ELEVENTH National team player taken. Holy crap.

That's two home run swings on defensemen with big offensive upside in Honka and Fensore. Canes obviously gambling that one of them pays off bigtime since they've got so many picks in the middle of this draft.

at #99 the Canes take another D ... Cade Webber, high schooler out of Mass. Big boy at 6'5" ... heading to BU in the fall.

Apparently Fensore is also going to BU in the fall, so the Canes just saved a ton on cab fare.

Last edited:
OK ... now that we're into triple digits I'm going to go do something else. Frankly, anything else.

Quick take ... good, diverse draft crop for the Canes so far. A few known quantities, a few gambles, the odd safe pick. They got a playmaking center, a good looking goalie prospect, and a do it all center early and that's all addressing organizational need. From here I'm gonna let the dust settle and take a look at the big picture later. But Tony MacDonald appears to have a very strong last draft as head of amateur scouting before he retires.

I hope all the Kapanen rumors can finally be put to rest. Honestly, I'm sick of hearing it. We were never going to give up Pesce for a nostalgia name.

Regarding the Marleau trade... in the infinitesimal chance that the Leafs get eked out of the playoffs like Montreal did this past season, but win draft lottery 1, 2, or 3 and thus invoke the condition of the conditional pick. Is the 2021 pick also lottery protected?

Also, at #152 the Canes select... Kirill Slepets.

20 years old, playing for Lokomotiv of the KHL, 5'10" RW.

Last edited:
I hope all the Kapanen rumors can finally be put to rest. Honestly, I'm sick of hearing it. We were never going to give up Pesce for a nostalgia name.

Apparently he's going to be signed by the Leafs to a new deal by the end of the weekend so, yes. And I get the nostalgia crack is aimed at Canes fans, but the kid deserves better than that. He's a good player in his own right.

Regarding the Marleau trade... in the infinitesimal chance that the Leafs get eked out of the playoffs like Montreal did this past season, but win draft lottery 1, 2, or 3 and thus invoke the condition of the conditional pick. Is the 2021 pick also lottery protected?

Also, at #152 the Canes select... Kirill Slepets.

20 years old, playing for Lokomotiv of the KHL, 5'10" RW.

It's my understanding that it is NOT protected should the pick slip to 2021.

How did Slepets slip that low? He's in the Top 20 Euros according to Central Scouting.

So far feels like the 'Canes have gotten good value in their picks.. and more Finns... Need all the Finns!.

So far feels like the 'Canes have gotten good value in their picks.. and more Finns... Need all the Finns!.

Rounding out our collection of Russians as well. Gotta give Svech some company, because he's gonna be here awhile.

So if you guessed the Canes would not make all 10 of their picks in the 2019 draft..you are going to be right. However they turned 2 of those 10 into 2 picks, so the final tally, assuming we don't trade the next to last pick in the 7th round, will be TWELVE picks made by the Canes. That is going to make my tracking of our prospects a bit busier than normal next season.

Apparently he's going to be signed by the Leafs to a new deal by the end of the weekend so, yes. And I get the nostalgia crack is aimed at Canes fans, but the kid deserves better than that. He's a good player in his own right.

Yeah, but you'd think he's the single best player out there, who MAY be available, and that he's exactly what the Canes need. I'll be glad when it's put to rest.

Back