• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 NHL Draft Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I'm going to go ahead and post a catchall Draft thread for housekeeping purposes. We can get into the minutia of Carolina's draft as we get closer and things actually happen. We don't even have a final draft order until the Cup Finals wrap, but Carolina's position is sealed.

First off, the draft is in Vancouver this year. A lovely city to visit in the summer, so that's nice. Decent logo for the draft as well. Blue, green, snow-capped mountains in the background with the city skyline in front. Nice ... peaceful even. Thanks to their post season success, the Canes draft 28th in the 1st round, with New Jersey, New York Rangers, Chicago, Colorado (from Ottawa) and LA camping out in the first 5 spots. The top end of the draft largely seems to boil down to the slick American center Jack Hughes and the tricky Finnish winger Kaapo Kakko, who occupy the "can't miss" territory pretty much by themselves. From there the first round pool is well stocked with Americans and centers.

Most mocks seem to settle on a forward for the Canes, as befits the general impression of their pipeline as being defense heavy. Fair enough, but as we've noted here several times ... a goalie wouldn't go amiss, and Spencer Knight out of the US Development program looks like a possibility late in the first round. Others mentioned as likely for Carolina are Moncton center/wing Jakob Pelletier (who I support if only due to the weird local pronunciation of the NC coastal plains town by the same name ... pronounced "pell eh tear"), and London center Connor McMichael (obvious "the other Connor Mc" potential). Again, analysts seem to be leaning in to Carolina's lack of centers in the development program. As we all know, that's not actually how things work most of the time as pretty much every team takes a "best available" approach to the 1st round these days. And honestly, mock drafts are not terribly useful past around the 20th pick anyway ... if that far down the order.

In terms of the big draft picture, Carolina has once again stockpiled a pretty large bag full of picks in this draft. By round it's 1, 2, 2(Sabres), 2 (Rangers), 3, 4, 5, 6, 6 (Calgary), 7 (Boston). Those Rangers and Sabres 2nd rounders look pretty good right now and the Canes are in a position to either nab 4 prospects in the first 56 selections ... which would be fully 7% of the draft to that point ... or to offer one or more of those picks up as trade fodder. Note that Detroit and New Jersey have similar stockpiles and could also be looking to deal ... especially New Jersey. As I've said several times, with the way these picks line up, this might be a really good year to make a deal or two if the other two don't water down the possibilities.

And here's your annual advice from me that none of you will take ... don't fall in love with "your guy" to the point where you feel that the team failed if they select somebody else. This is even more true when you're picking in the high 20s. This thing is a crapshoot when you get past that second tier of guys and you never know ... a Nino Neiderreiter, who I recall as a board favorite back in the day, sometimes comes to you later on in a trade.

Last edited:
I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict that the Canes will make only 1 of those 3 2nd rounders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict that the Canes will make only 1 of those 3 2nd rounders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah ... safe bet they roll at least one of those into either a player or to move up in the draft on another pick. If this was Francis running the draft then I'd lean towards the Canes actually picking the lot, but Dudley is unlikely to push that direction and he's the key player at that table.

I read your words about not falling in love "your guy" but I am still gobsmacked over the RF selection of Paradis over O'Reilly, who was "my guy." Not sure if that would have ever worked here given O'Reilly's relationship and demands he had with Colorado, but I still wonder.

I don't see much difference between the pick at 28 and the picks in the early second that we have from BUF and the NYR (at number 36 and 37). That being said, if the goalie is available at 28, I'd like to see Knight selected.

I read your words about not falling in love "your guy" but I am still gobsmacked over the RF selection of Paradis over O'Reilly, who was "my guy." Not sure if that would have ever worked here given O'Reilly's relationship and demands he had with Colorado, but I still wonder.

Jeez ... I mean, even I would give you that one. At worst we'd have gotten a couple of good years of of O'Reilly before he forced a move, and then gotten a decent return for the guy. That pick of Paradis got us ... Tlusty. So ... thanks? I guess?

I’m all for trading a second rounder or two if it brings in an NHL center that fits in the Canes top 9 forward group. If I had a first round wishlist pick it would be Spencer Knight but he won’t be there at 28 so the Canes may have to get crafty with moving up from 28 to grab him.

I’d love Knight in round 1 and a decent center or two picked after that.

I still see the Canes being very active with those extra picks to go hard after what they really want to fill in the hole or two they have identified this summer. This is a really nice group of young players already so it’s fun to have the extra collateral to deal for what you really want to supplement the stable.

Yeah ... keep in mind that most prospect reporters don't really see any NHL-ready players in this pool outside of the Top 5 ... give or take, as always. So yeah, the Canes will probably be looking at centers in this draft, but the guys they need to fit with aren't necessarily the ones in Raleigh at the current moment. Unless you figure Aho, Svech and Necas will probably be here long enough for a guy to break in with another junior year and then at least one AHL year before playing his way up the roster ... so, 4 years or so. Bottom line ... by all means go get a playmaking center if you can, because that's something the pipeline deeply lacks. But I wouldn't get too hung up on particulars when it comes to fit. A good prospect is a good prospect either way and you don't want to limit the pool too much.

Up to me, I'd keep two of those 2nd rounds and take a big swing on a guy with big upside with one pick and take a safer guy with the other. Use the 3rd one to deal. One awesome thing about having such a young core group is that the Canes aren't in a position to need to rush guys who aren't ready anymore. That's a BIG shift from the past decade or so and we've brutalized the development of more than one guy by being in too big a hurry to get them to the NHL. Time to start operating like an actual professional organization.

Apparently the Hurricanes are seen as the only team that could legitamitely make a run (offer sheet) at Mitch Marner.

The Leafs are going to pull out every stop possible to free up enough cap room to avoid the issue.

I would put the Marner offer sheet by anyone chances right how at less than 5%. For the Canes it would be zero. Do we really think We are going to add $20 million to the payroll just with Aho and Marner alone? Not happening. There is no way this team goes from a $60 million cap hit team to almost $80 million no matter how exciting a move that would be.

The Leafs are going to pull out every stop possible to free up enough cap room to avoid the issue.

I would put the Marner offer sheet by anyone chances right how at less than 5%. For the Canes it would be zero. Do we really think We are going to add $20 million to the payroll just with Aho and Marner alone? Not happening. There is no way this team goes from a $60 million cap hit team to almost $80 million no matter how exciting a move that would be.

Can I dream that we threaten to offer sheet Marner and settle for a trade for Kapanen.

Can I dream that we threaten to offer sheet Marner and settle for a trade for Kapanen.

I think that might be more reality then a dream and you might be onto something, I read the Leafs were hoping to slot Kapanen in at around $2.25m or so on a new deal which would fit with all those monster contracts, If I'm Kasperi and his agent, that seems awfully low and too much of a discount. Offer the Leafs an almost ready NHL prospect like Saarella and a second rounder for Kapanen and he sure would look awfully good here on a new long term 4-5 year deal. His speed is lethal, he kills penalties and the offensive upside playing with Aho or Teuvo would seem like a regular 20-25 goal guy.

For what its worth, I wouldn't want Marner and would prefer a more affordable and likely better fit in Kapanen to join us.

I think that might be more reality then a dream and you might be onto something, I read the Leafs were hoping to slot Kapanen in at around $2.25m or so on a new deal which would fit with all those monster contracts, If I'm Kasperi and his agent, that seems awfully low and too much of a discount. Offer the Leafs an almost ready NHL prospect like Saarella and a second rounder for Kapanen and he sure would look awfully good here on a new long term 4-5 year deal. His speed is lethal, he kills penalties and the offensive upside playing with Aho or Teuvo would seem like a regular 20-25 goal guy.

...and it would lead to me wearing my vintage 1999 Kapanen jersey to the arena more often!

IF there wasn't a 4 1st round pick price tag I would love to have Mitch Marner here. He is absolutely elite.

If you have faith, Necas in theory has the same skills that Marner does minus, you know, actually doing it at the NHL level. Save the money, save the 1st round picks, hope like heck Necas becomes a 20 goal 40-50 assist speedster on the wing. You really just need a bonafide center to play in between Necas and Svech and you really would have something cooking in terms of multiple line danger. Tying that though to this thread, the draft would be a great opportunity and time to trade for such a center, if anyone is looking to move one along.

I agree with CM ... Marner is elite and if it wasn't for the HUGE tag, I'd do that in a hot minute. That said, the Canes are going to do it for all the reasons cited ... largely it's just too many picks, and too much money thrown into the player pool too early in the building process. I don't see any way Dundon commits that much money to two guys (Marner and Aho) before the market really starts producing the revenue to support such a quantum jump in costs.

The reason nobody makes RFA offer sheet runs anymore is that the penalty in terms of draft picks REALLY narrows the field of teams to whom an offer sheet might make sense. In this case, you could justify making a play for Marner if all of the following were true: you are a well established market, AND you are all set with a solid development pipeline that could survive missing out on 4 first rounders, AND you are just that one dynamic player away from being a legit Cup contender, AND you were 100% convinced that Marner was that one player. I mean, that's a narrow criteria, boys.

I think it's MUCH more likely that Carolina remains convinced that Necas will bring an injection of offensive danger from the wing and that they'll look to support that by finding a center that could solidify a line with him and Svech.

Boone Jenner wouldn't be a bad guy to plop between those two. Got size and grit, a good shot. Maybe doesn't put up huge numbers, but, he'd definitely compliment those two with his size and strength he'd bring.

Boone Jenner wouldn't be a bad guy to plop between those two. Got size and grit, a good shot. Maybe doesn't put up huge numbers, but, he'd definitely compliment those two with his size and strength he'd bring.

I see Boone Jenner in the same mold as Jordan Staal, younger, cheaper and perhaps not as good. I really think we need a creative #1 in the mold of Ryan Getzlaf when he was younger-- physical, hulking and a guy who could score-- 20+ goals and 30+ assists. Maybe if Aho could get Staal's frame??

I think you might want to set your sights somewhere between Getzlaf (too high) and Jenner (too low) if you're looking for a guy to fit between two VERY skilled players. IMO you want somebody who can keep up, but won't get pushed around too much. That limits the pool a bit, but there should be options.

Kevin Hayes would have been an interesting center option for the Canes until the Flyers just grabbed his rights which seems to speak to the fact that he liked playing for Vignault and may sign in Philly before he ever hits unrestricted free agency.

Charlie Coyle was a stealth trade by the Bruins, but that is the type of large center that may have cured the Canes ills up the middle.

I hope the Canes stay away from the Derek Brassard, Jeff Carter type centers that are well past their prime and complete a decent hockey trade for a younger center that can be here for a long duration.

Kevin Hayes would have been an interesting center option for the Canes until the Flyers just grabbed his rights which seems to speak to the fact that he liked playing for Vignault and may sign in Philly before he ever hits unrestricted free agency.

Charlie Coyle was a stealth trade by the Bruins, but that is the type of large center that may have cured the Canes ills up the middle.

I hope the Canes stay away from the Derek Brassard, Jeff Carter type centers that are well past their prime and complete a decent hockey trade for a younger center that can be here for a long duration.

Thought the same when I saw Hayes traded to Flyers.

What about Krieder? Did he sign an extension? Although not a center, can he play center?

Agree about Brossard and Carter

Back