• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs select Cole Caufield 15th overall

Re: Cole Caufield

Yes, a bit like Cammalleri too. Not sure if I’ve ever seen quicker hands.

Cammalleri usually set up on the other side. Those clips show Caufield sniping it from Ovechkin/Stamkos office. So nice to see.

So pumped he fell to 15!

W1.jpg

This is the opposite of last year... and both might turn out perfectly.

Last year we kind of went off the board by taking KK on a bit of a hunch. He looks to have been an excellent pick, but he almost certainly would have been available several picks later. We could have traded down and still got him. Caufield is a guy that you'd think we would have had to trade up for.

They should look good together in a few years.

Where do you think KK slots in this years draft if this was his draft year

Cole Caufield

I started following Mark Edwards of HockeyProspect a couple of years back - think he’s very thorough, their black book had Caufield ranked at 11.

They had KK ranked 3 last year & said yesterday on Melnick’s show he’d be 4 in yesterday’s draft FWIW.

They had Hughes, Kakko, Byram as top-3

Like talent wise? Like if he was thrown into this draft right now based on everything we currently know?

I'd say top 5ish imo. Neck and neck with Caufield. I think Caufield is more talented but with his size and the fact that he's a centre I think KK probably makes it really close.

How crazy is it that our farm was desolate just 2 years ago and now we're looking at Caufield, Poehling, Suzuki, KK, Brook, Romanov, Primeau...

As much as MB pisses me off with his chickenshit cap philosophy he has been acquiring young talent.
when you miss the playoffs as often as Bergevin has, you should get better

Cole Caufield

Like talent wise? Like if he was thrown into this draft right now based on everything we currently know?

I'd say top 5ish imo. Neck and neck with Caufield. I think Caufield is more talented but with his size and the fact that he's a centre I think KK probably makes it really close.

I think KK needs a finisher like Caufield on his wing and a gritty guy on the other wing. Armia?

Is Caufield closer to the NHL than we think

Some are saying he will be in the NHL in 2020-21 season

The thing I see from his highlights is that he’s not a sniper that needs to be fed the puck to score.

He can generate his own scoring chances with his speed and mobility.

The thing I see from his highlights is that he’s not a sniper that needs to be fed the puck to score.

He can generate his own scoring chances with his speed and mobility.

But he can also finish with unbelievably accurate one-timers.

His skating and shot are already NHL ready from what I've read so yeah, I think a year is likely all he will need to bulk up a bit.

We know the size will never be An obstacle as he’ll always be below average

No , referring to the 18 year old prospect the unknown who moved up the charts in May 2018 .

No , referring to the 18 year old prospect the unknown who moved up the charts in May 2018 .

So hard to say. This draft seemed a fair bit deeper at the top so KK probably would have fallen back a few spots. Who knows though. The draft is a lot of speculation at the best of times... nevermind adding hypotheticals and players from different years.

I mean I wouldn't have dreamed that Caufield would fall to 15... so what do I know.

I think there's a shot.

But, as I always say: One step at a time.

1- Become a great scorer in the NCAA. If it takes two years, it takes two years.

2- Become a great scorer during best-on-best tournaments, ie the U20 WJC.

If he can't score prolifically during those two scenarios, he's not ready for the NHL yet. And that's fine.

I would also want him to play in the NCAA. I see much more benefit in the NCAA for smaller players who might need more time working out.

What if he knocks it out of the park in camp?

If KK could do it so could Caufield.

Back