• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Belated Summer Travel and General Off Topic Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Jeez guys ... the solstice has come and gone and I've slacked off on the traditional summer nonsense thread. Sorry about that. I'm not used to this being in the playoffs until May thing, it would seem.

Anyhow ... pitch in with whatever you want. I've already been to Alaska this "summer" and I'm heading back to Africa in a couple of weeks. Anybody doing anything cool?

Ireland in August. Gonna watch the semi-finals of their national sport (Gaelic Football), then hit 4 towns in the southwest.

Quebec in August-- my annual trek north to my aunt's 1850s cottage on the Ottawa River. No internet, no cell reception and no city lights. A mixture of close and extended family, friends, and lots of reading, discussions , music, hiking, good eating and always an opportunity to have a beer or nice whisky.

cottage.jpg

Nothing for me. Long weekends only, to Lake Lure and camping out at my daughter’s house in Wilmington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planning my first father and son camping and fishing trip. We gonna make our fort sort of thing, try to travel with as minimal stuff as possible (mostly because my son is only 9 and that means papa will do ALL the carrying). Oh that means no canoe either. Still haven't decided where.
Was supposed to go to Greece this summer... but that is being pushed to next summer. My son will visit his family in Germany with his mother, and then send him by plane to Greece to meet me and vacation with Papa. We want to see a lot but this will be determined by available time and money. Sofia (Bulgaria), Istanbul (Turkey) and for sure the island of Rhodes to see our family.

Anyway, enjoy the summer and if you do go anywhere, please please please, don't drive drunk, tired, take chances. Vacations should stay memorable, for the right reasons.

As always, the best two weeks on the beach at Frisco, NC.

And in October (1st thru 4th) watching Team USA vs. Team GB in the bi-annual Solomon Trophy Croquet Test Match in Pinehurst, NC. It's not your backyard 9 wicket game sending your opponent's balls into the woods. This is the International 6 Wicket Association Laws game. A mixture of golf (putting on a lightning fast manicured lawn), billiards (shooting balls at each other to precise positions on the court) and chess (where you're thinking many many moves ahead to score all 26 points in only two turns).

A bonus is on September 30, is the Presidents Cup. A one day American Rules 6 Wicket match between USA & GB.

If you cannot make the Solomon in person, you can watch a live stream from Courts #1 and #4 with live expert commentary from Court #4. Afterwards these streams will also be available on YouTube. For more information on these test matches, look for more information on the USCA website.

http://www.croquetamerica.com/

If anyone is interested in playing croquet, PM me. There's a little club in Chapel Hill always looking for new recruits. :thumbsup(22):

Anyway, enjoy the summer and if you do go anywhere, please please please, don't drive drunk, tired, take chances. Vacations should stay memorable, for the right reasons.

YES ... and from your resident travel agent, let me chime in to encourage anyone taking a trip of any financial consequence to purchase travel insurance. It's not super expensive and you WILL be happy to have it should something happen on your trip. Especially if you are leaving the US ... always have a valid passport (even on a little Caribbean cruise) and buy the travel insurance.

Go die, all of you!!!

Tracking down new work.

Need to take the 'little one' to BB55. She was chapped a few years ago on a class trip at how little time they spent on it.

She starts Jr. year of h/s at School of Arts mid-August and I know time will fly until then.

YES ... and from your resident travel agent, let me chime in to encourage anyone taking a trip of any financial consequence to purchase travel insurance. It's not super expensive and you WILL be happy to have it should something happen on your trip. Especially if you are leaving the US ... always have a valid passport (even on a little Caribbean cruise) and buy the travel insurance.

American Express Platinum card rocks at covering travel issues. I’ve never needed additional insurance with it.

Going to Disney World in Orlando shortly after the 4th. Yes, I know it will be hot and humid.

I was there last week for the opening of Hagrids ride at universal. This was the day 1 wait time... 10 hours.

bb809b55e9c84d1717ce065433cdcc5f.jpg

My wife was pregnant when I started this site, my daughter is now 12 1/2. Where does the time go?

Flies the hell on by at light speed, doesn't it?

Mine is 16 at the end of July. She used to be able to sleep on my belly! No more.

We had to head to the hospital a few hours after I got back from the 2003 Select a Seat. Good timing, kiddo!

No major summer vacations this summer, but plenty of mini-trips planned (or already taken)...

* I just got back from spending a weekend in Chicago with a few buddies...it included Mets-Cubs games at Wrigley on Friday and Saturday--and miracle of miracles, my Mets won both--sandwiched around catching the opening night of The Rolling Stones tour at Soldier Field.
* My wife is graduating with a Masters of Fine Arts degree from the Vermont College of Fine Arts next week, so I am somehow combining a business trip to Edmonton with stopping for a few days in Montpelier on the way back!
*We'll be spending a long weekend in New York towards the end of the summer, split between a friend's house in the Hamptons, some time with my parents on Long Island and a night or two in the city. We haven't firmed up the dates yet because I may have a speaking opportunity at a conference in Kuala Lumpur (!) around the same time

While the summer will be a memory by then, we are tentaively planning a bike tour in Spain between Granada and Seville in October.

Many of you know that I travel for business A LOT, so this is a relatively light schedule for me. Of course, I am posting this while sitting between flights at JFK on my way home from a quick one-night trip to Toronto. Next week is the Edmonton-Montpelier combo I mentioned above and I have to go to Halifax the week after that!

Last edited:
Going to Disney World in Orlando shortly after the 4th. Yes, I know it will be hot and humid.

You my friend are a brave soldier to endure that heat at the parks in July! My family tries to do a week every year at Disney, but our sweet spot week is always the last week of February/first week of March in terms of ideal climate in FLA.

So much to do and see there every time we go back, I find that the overall dining and entertainment and even sporting options there allows you to create a different vacation every time you go. We golfed one year, we took a bass fishing excursion one time, some days just to stay at the Disney resort and the pool and dont even do the parks, just a great place no matter what you feel like doing.

I was there last week for the opening of Hagrids ride at universal. This was the day 1 wait time... 10 hours.

bb809b55e9c84d1717ce065433cdcc5f.jpg

I've heard only good things ... about the ride. I've heard only bad things about the line management.

Don't know if you knew this, but I now work as an agent for a travel agency that specializes in Disney and Universal. Bless you for hanging in there for 10 hours in that heat. I'll wait until the fall when Universal will throw me some VIP tour access :0)

Let me know if you need any help getting things planned out. I'm bugging out for Africa on the 10th, but I don't have all that many clients at WDW in July so I'll have some time if you need anything.

Back