• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Acquire Erik Haula

Haula also played on Ninos line in Minny

And I heard he chopped off OrPrick’s finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haula also played on Ninos line in Minny

And I heard he chopped off OrPrick’s finger.

Yeah, that was the year they had a really potent "checking line" with Huala, Nino and (I think) Pominville.

Yeah, that was the year they had a really potent "checking line" with Huala, Nino and (I think) Pominville.

He was a +21 with Minny in 2015-16 and had 14 goals and 34 points! Was also relatively healthy every season in the NHL until the knee injury last year.

Bottom line with Huala ... he's a proper possession center. Give him wingers who can score and he'll produce points.

The Canes also gave Vegas a conditional 5th rounder in 2021. No details on the condition but it’s probably contingent on Haula re-signing after the season.

Here's what LeBrun dug up on the conditional (it's complicated):
https://t.co/pVPwlqWrSN

Oh yeah, it's behind The Athletic paywall -- yes, it's if Haula re-signs, but also a lot of complicated stuff around basically if we trade him for anything more valuable than the 5th rounder, we have to send the 5th rounder to VGK.

Here's what LeBrun dug up on the conditional (it's complicated):
https://t.co/pVPwlqWrSN

Oh yeah, it's behind The Athletic paywall -- yes, it's if Haula re-signs, but also a lot of complicated stuff around basically if we trade him for anything more valuable than the 5th rounder, we have to send the 5th rounder to VGK.

Well summed up ... I wasn't touching that.

Hard to tell if the Canes are done yet or not. Part of that depends on Justin Williams who needs to make a decision on next season sometime in the next day or 2 so the Canes can plan accordingly. But for purposes of this thread and trade, let's assume that Justin Williams is coming back. Our current forward crop could look something like this if the Canes didn't make any additional moves at forward:

Nino-Aho-Tuevo
Svech-Staal-Williams
Necas-Haula-Martinook
Foegele-Wallmark-McGinn

Overall, I like the lines but have some reservations around Williams age. I would love Williams to be around the team in some capacity next season for his leadership ability but in a perfect world, I would like to see the Canes upgrade his 2nd line scoring wing slot with someone younger and faster with decent scoring touch. Easier said than done, but upgrading his slot would help the Canes take another step forward next year and build off this surprise run.

I don't think Williams has any business playing 2nd line minutes at his age. I love the man, but we need to be realistic about his limitations. And honestly, if the Canes had done a better job of managing his role and his minutes this season, maybe he doesn't completely run out of gas in the conference finals. Yeah, this team needed that guy and they needed him on the ice, but you can ask too much ... and I think we did.

Third line RW and available for injury field promotion to the top-six would be an appropriate role if he wants another season.

But he's going to be expensive for that role. We could probably find that level of scoring for less and with a bit more foot speed. The hive mind's evaluation of performance vs. cost might not be favorable for pressing hard for him to re-enlist.

I could see him deciding the Cup Finals run was epic and a good note upon which to end. Bound to have taken a lot out of him.

If we're pressing for a quick answer (and we are) then the usual rule-of-thumb is that the quick answer is nearly always "no".

EDIT: In fact, it just occurred to me that 3RW might be a spot we are holding open for Necas to fill if he's not going to log another season in the AHL learning the center position.

Third line RW and available for injury field promotion to the top-six would be an appropriate role if he wants another season.

But he's going to be expensive for that role. We could probably find that level of scoring for less and with a bit more foot speed. The hive mind's evaluation of performance vs. cost might not be favorable for pressing hard for him to re-enlist.

I could see him deciding the Cup Finals run was epic and a good note upon which to end. Bound to have taken a lot out of him.

If we're pressing for a quick answer (and we are) then the usual rule-of-thumb is that the quick answer is nearly always "no".

I'd like to see him back at a lesser rate and to have a true swan song season around the league and to continue to teach the younger players how to be a true pro on and off the ice. But if it's time to hang them up, JWill will likely be back on board in some capacity within a year or two of retirement with the org in a meaningful role. I still think he would make a great coach.

If Justin Williams returns for one more season I don't think anyone expects it to be for anything near what he was getting paid last season. He's going to get $2.5-$3 million on a 1 year deal. I wouldn't worry about him being too expensive for what he will bring in the role we ask him to play.

Those people aren't using their heads. If the guy wants to play one more final season where he is planning to retire he's not about to ask for above market and jeopardize that. He's not going to look to cash in on his way out the door.

Those people aren't using their heads. If the guy wants to play one more final season where he is planning to retire he's not about to ask for above market and jeopardize that. He's not going to look to cash in on his way out the door.

I've seen legit hockey writers speculating the same thing that The Big Kahuna is saying.

And 50-points-over-the-last-four-seasons Williams might think the same.

And that's why I say the hive mind might think they can get that level of performance for less from an emerging player or one already under contract for less.

I remember someone comparing Williams to Dineen, Francis, and Brind'Amour in their final seasons... and that was this season.

And that's why I say the hive mind might think they can get that level of performance for less from an emerging player or one already under contract for less.

And they/it would be correct. The issue with JWill is where do you put him. Leadership is great but he needs to be able to get it done on ice. Otherwise we have Brindy’s last season. You can’t hide someone on a hockey roster and leadership is not enough. You can’t be a leader if you can’t get the work done on the ice.

Not saying Willie is there but also the idea of counting on him as a key part of your top 6 is problematic. So the question is can he lead with a lessor on ice role? That’s a hard one to answer and it depends on the guy. I don’t think Roddie could but I think Willie might be able to. I think it comes down to where the player thinks their authority to lead comes from. With Roddie it was all about performance. When he wasn’t getting it done on the ice he turned inward. I think Willie realizes the guys can learn from his experience. I don’t even know if this makes sense. Hard to put it into words.

Back