• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Acquire James Reimer

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Per McKenzie. A 2020 6th rounder (originally Buffalo’s) and Darling going to Florida. Panthers put Darling on waivers to execute the buyout.

Last edited:
Not your long term solution. Often injured, has spurts of brilliance then will frustrate to crap outta you.

At least we didn't have to buyout Darling. There better be another goalie shoe to drop.

Interesting trade, more for the fact that they got rid of Darling then trying to sell Reimer as a solution in goal. I agree with you, they better still have another move to shore up the goaltending because Reimer with Ned or Forsberg is a disaster in waiting.

@MSmithCanes: Reimer has two years remaining on a five-year contract with an AAV of $3.4 million. By comparison, Darling's AAV was $4.15 million (two years remaining).

LeBrun says Canes are working on signing Mrazek or Varlamov.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@LukeDeCock: James Reimer’s time with the Hurricanea could be short. Agreed to take on his contract to get out from under Darling buyout. Other potential moves in works.

LeBrun says Canes are working on signing Mrazek or Varlamov.

Thank You Lord!!! I’ll take either one and be able to exhale. Any combination of Mrazek/Reimer/Ned or Varlamov/Reimer/Ned is at the very least a competitive mix in net.

I had a feeling this move might happen when I heard they wanted to move Reimer. Wasn't sure if they'd take Darling or not. I guess we took the lesser of two evils and contracts. But Reimer is no solution to our goaltending problem. I'd prefer to see Mrazek brought back. Reimer is a stop gap at best. He's busted.

Are we really going to pay Reimer $3.1 million to be our backup to Varlamov or Mrazek making $4-5 million and stymie Ned for another season? I see Reimer as temporary insurance in case we get completely shut out on the UFAs. If we get a UFA starter then I expect the Canes to sell off the Reimet insurance policy rather quickly. Reimer would be wise to wait a bit before having a new mask made...

Are we really going to pay Reimer $3.1 million to be our backup to Varlamov or Mrazek making $4-5 million and stymie Ned for another season? I see Reimer as temporary insurance in case we get completely shut out on the UFAs. If we get a UFA starter then I expect the Canes to sell off the Reimet insurance policy rather quickly. Reimer would be wise to wait a bit before having a new mask made...

Yeah ... I'm gonna keep broad sweeping pronouncements to a minimum until this process works its way to completion. We're clearly moving towards a final setup in net and I seriously doubt we're there yet. I'm with you in that Reimer looks to be a much improved safety net than Darling would have been ... if we had even been considering Darling as such. Personally, I think it was down to move him for literally anything or buy him out. If that's the case then Waddell actually made a pretty savvy move. Reimer isn't so bad that you don't want him anywhere near your training camp, much less your crease AND he's a cheaper buyout than Darling.

As for the reports on Varlamov and Mrazek, yeah ... that's what we've been pretty much assuming for a while. Carolina has rather loudly made it know for a couple of weeks that they're still in contact with Mrazek and remain interested and hopeful. Varlamov is a backup plan for that and they're pretty much the same goalie ... adequate rather than "the guy." Let's see how this plays out over the next 2-3 days.

Bigger question is why Florida just traded Reimer and what amounts to a million bucks to Carolina for ... the joy of buying out Darling? Color me puzzled by that one. They could just have bought out Reimer and saved themselves the paperwork.

Bigger question is why Florida just traded Reimer and what amounts to a million bucks to Carolina for ... the joy of buying out Darling? Color me puzzled by that one. They could just have bought out Reimer and saved themselves the paperwork.

That’s the headscratcher. $1M for a 6th round draft pick. Whaaaaaat?

I think in the current way things go, $4 million for a late first round pick and $1 million for a sixth round pick. Apparently the market price is set...:couch

I didn't figure this one out all by myself, but from CapFriendly's buyout calculator:

Scott Darling

James Reimer

Looks like Florida avoids a larger buy-out cap hit of about a million dollars during the '20-'21 season by buying out Darling instead of Reimer.

EDIT: And now I see that difference is related to the $2.3M signing bonus Reimer has in his contract for the '20-'21 season.

Last edited:
While in CapFriendly I was also reminded that Scott Darling had a 15-team trade list.

So they had that element with which to contend in whatever trade machinations have been going on at 1400 Edwards Mill Road this afternoon.

However, probably not surprising that Florida was on that list.

So now it looks like Bob to Fla, Smith to Edm, and Varlamov to the Isles, leaving Mrazek and Lehner as best available.

Back