• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs sign Jason Spezza to one-year deal

I mean, no salary information is out there right now, but you'd presume this is on a rock-bottom salary one-year deal.

And I haven't tracked him too closely since he's gone to Dallas, but you have to figure he's at least an upgrade on the Goat when it comes to our center depth.

I dunno...if the plan is for Spezza to be our regular 3rd line center, that could be pretty dicey.

I'd they're signing shore and spezza... Kadri is gone for an upgrade on d imo.

Spezza last year would have been a capable, albeit below average third line center. His game will probably only worsen this year. So you're right.. it's dicey. But I prefer they address their need for a top 3 d who plays 22+ min per night and sacrifice the luxury of having a super elite third liner who plays 15 or less per night. It's a bigger need and a more efficient use of cap space.

Would only make them roll the top two lines harder. Which is what we all want.

Can't imagine they're planning on slotting him in at 3C, although it won't surprise me if they move Kadri.

Good signing. Judging by his numbers the last few seasons he should still have some gas in the tank as a 4C.

Yeah, taking a flyer on Spezza for $700K is a-OK to me.

Looks like he's our first Cup-chasing veteran willing to sign here for next-to-nothing.

At the very least, he improves our center depth.

KoIPSpj.png

Just a little bit of an upgrade. Still moves the puck well. Play him wiht a couple skilled wingers and the 4th line is legit good. Mikheyev/Agostino/Petan-Spezza-Bracco > Marleau-Goat-Brown

KoIPSpj.png

Just a little bit of an upgrade.

The risk is of course real. Guys this age deteriorate quickly. And spezza is no exception the last two years. But he could still play last year. He's a flat out good hockey player.

But Nick Shore is the goat replacement imo. Not spezza.

He's definitely an upgrade for the 4th line slot and can likely do spot duty at 3C when injuries crop up.

Just a little bit of an upgrade. Still moves the puck well. Play him wiht a couple skilled wingers and the 4th line is legit good. Mikheyev/Agostino/Petan-Spezza-Bracco > Marleau-Goat-Brown
Haha, yeah, that's a pretty stark comparison.

We used a 1st round pick on Gauthier.

And to this day, there are still people saying Dubas is a garbage GM because he won't draft big pylons.

Back