• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Offer Sheet for Aho

In the end the Canes will match and you’ll get your top center on a value contract. People need to chill out.

What the heck are all these Habs fans doing trolling our board yesterday and apparently continuing into today?!? Is this allowed on this site?

Please take your inflated opinions of yourselves and your group-think misinformation about us back to your own board.

Will return when the air is clean(er). Thanks.

I'm not sure that I agree with you that management could have avoided this. There's been some chatter (and I can put my finger on a link) that Aho's camp did not want to be the first major RFA to sign, and so this was going to stretch beyond July 1 no matter what management did. Sure, you could have avoided that by giving Aho exactly what he asked for, but that's not really a reasonable course. It may be that Aho himself learned the biggest lesson. Again, we know very little about what really happened, so I'm not drawing any firm conclusions. That said, this does sour me on the Habs, and I'm no Habs hater at all.

Maybe so. I'm less convinced that this was unavoidable given that it almost never freaking happens.

Guys, Habs fans like Habsy and Habspatrol have visited us numerous times over the years and Habspatrol has been instrumental in the existence of this site. I don't take their comments as trolling (while also not discounting that sometimes their comments can be taken the wrong way by Canes fans, especially over an emotional issue like this one).

I think Habsy's advice to "chill out" is spot on.

What the heck are all these Habs fans doing trolling our board yesterday and apparently continuing into today?!? Is this allowed on this site?

Please take your inflated opinions of yourselves and your group-think misinformation about us back to your own board.

Let's dispense with the "trolling" accusations please. This board is a part of a site that also has a large Montreal fan component. There are no sealed ghettos here.

Actually the two Habs fans "trolling" our board are two of the most level-headed and reasonable hockey fans you will ever come to meet and one of them happens to be the reason we have this board period! I think Habsy and Habspatrol have both provided lots of great banter and flavor over the years on the Canes board.

Maybe it's all tongue and cheek Elsker, but I'm a Leaf fan first by birth and I hate Habs fans with a passion, but these two Habs fans on here are two of the better Habs supporters I have ever come across. ;)

yeah, Habsy and Habspatrol are both aces. Plus they are a huge part of this forum and one of the main reasons we had anywhere to go at all once FanHome imploded.

Guys, Habs fans like Habsy and Habspatrol have visited us numerous times over the years and Habspatrol has been instrumental in the existence of this site. I don't take their comments as trolling (while also not discounting that sometimes their comments can be taken the wrong way by Canes fans, especially over an emotional issue like this one).

I think Habsy's advice to "chill out" is spot on.

Yeah ya know, I love the passion, but theres no way Aho doesn't play for us next year. Can you imagine the public relations nightmare if we let him walk? It would essentially undo all the goodwill that was established between the team and the newly re-emerging fanbase. Yeah, I guess it's possible, probable? not so much.

So what does MTL get from this little dust up? They probably know the Canes will match any offer sheet. What's in it for them then? They did Aho a favor. Maybe the favor will be returned in 5 years when Cbass gets to choose his new team. Could MTL be playing the long game here?

So what does MTL get from this little dust up? They probably know the Canes will match any offer sheet. What's in it for them then? They did Aho a favor. Maybe the favor will be returned in 5 years when Cbass gets to choose his new team. Could MTL be playing the long game here?
Good question, but in 5 years i'm sure Aho will have plenty of suitors. Around 30, i'd say. Maybe Montreal believes all the talk about us being cash strapped, so they took a flyer. Heck, we've been asking the Canes to take a flyer on the flavor of the summer for as long back as I can remember.

I've heard everything from Bergevin gets to send a positive message to his fans that he is trying hard to the Habs will target Aho down the line in a trade or eventually free agency (in 5 years). I think the Habs honestly thought that structuring the huge front loaded contract would give Dundon fits with an outside chance that he would blink...so you take a chance I guess.

I still think the Habs would have been better off targeting Brayden Point, Tampa is a mess in long term contracts tied up to star players and soon they have to pay up for Vasilevsky and the young kids coming off the entry level deals.

Seriously?
You think I’m trolling? WTF. fine I’m out.

I don’t know what the habs were thinking when they offered the contract? Did they really think the canes would pass?did they take into account the canes would wait seven days tying up their wallets for the first week of free agency?
I think the real screwing is going to Montreal. They wind up with 7 waisted days.

Good question, but in 5 years i'm sure Aho will have plenty of suitors. Around 30, i'd say. Maybe Montreal believes all the talk about us being cash strapped, so they took a flyer. Heck, we've been asking the Canes to take a flyer on the flavor of the summer for as long back as I can remember.

Honestly, the first thing I thought when I saw that bonus structure was how cheap Aho's going to be in that last year of the contract. It wouldn't shock me at ALL to see Carolina look for offers after year four. If Aho's career arc continues like it should, he might just be THE big free agent at the end of that contract.

Bergevin is doing this as an excuse for not spending to the cap. It’s all optics IMHO.

I don’t know what the habs were thinking when they offered the contract? Did they really think the canes would pass?did they take into account the canes would wait seven days tying up their wallets for the first week of free agency?
I think the real screwing is going to Montreal. They wind up with 7 waisted days.

The thinking seems to be that they didn't like the value on anybody remaining in the forward market after they missed on Duchene. So, your money isn't really tied up if you weren't going to use it anyway.

Back