• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Offer Sheet for Aho

I'm in the "no problem with the process"--as long as we match. Remembering Nylander, maybe Aho's camp was like "I don't want to spend all summer trying to get the Canes to come off 7 or 8 years (because we aren't going there). As Waddell said, his summer is easier. So is Aho's.

Getting angry at a player/agent for leveraging the CBA for themselves/their client does not seem to be worth it. Sure, they could have come to us with the offer and said "we plan to sign"--and we might have said, "we still want 7 or 8 years" (knowing they would match).

This is the "logical" way of looking at it... and I think we all know that there's nothing "wrong" with teams and players using the rules to their advantage as much as possible. But as fans we just want players to want to play for our team, and we want "hometown discounts" and we want them to never leave... as long as they're good. As soon as they have a bad year or two they are tossed aside. So looking at it logically, it's hard to blame them for looking out for number one.

Thanks to all the other posters support. I really don’t mean to troll.

Geez, ya step away from the keyboard for an hour and look what happens..... :) Chill is right.

I think some folks are simply unaware of this history of this community or who's responsible for it's existence and don't bother visiting beyond their bookmark link. If they think this is trolling worth whining like that over, they either have never been on a official team board like on Facebook, or HF or god forbid Reddit , or they wrongly assume this is like those other places. I use the "New Posts" link to navigate the site and like at least lurking on, occasionally chiming in on, some threads on other boards.... wouldn't mind more folks visiting here even, you and the Leafs guys go after each other pretty hard, but you're (mostly) sane, unlike those more visible corners for sports chat.

Gotta know though, tempers are gonna be a bit short in general over something like this... or a playoff series.

:cheers2:

Last edited:
Optics? Yes. Nobody is talking about how Duchene picked the Preds over the Habs, right?

Correct, nor are they talking about how the Habs have 14 million in cap space. Nor are they talking about how Bergevin bought himself a week of not doing anything waiting on Waddell. I really think this was done by Bergevin to keep the fans and media off his ass. Once all the good UFA are gone and Waddell matches he will throw up his hands and say “we tried”.

Last edited:
Correct, nor are they talking about how I have have 14 million in cap space. Nor are they talking about how Bergevin bought himself a week of not doing anything waiting on Waddell. I really think this was done by Bergevin to keep the fans and media off his ass. Once all the good UFA are gone and Waddell matches he will throw up his hands and say “we tried”.

That may be "Plan B", but pretty sure MB would really like the player on this deal tho.

So, Chip is reporting that Dundon has said they'll match.

And the Montreal fanbase is SO bitter. Twitter is sad, funny, and pathetic all at once.

So, Chip is reporting that Dundon has said they'll match.

And the Montreal fanbase is SO bitter. Twitter is sad, funny, and pathetic all at once.

The way to do it to hose Montreal would be to say unequivocally we'll match, but not actually sign the paperwork until the last day.

Oh, and, Holy Shnikey did Chip actually get a scoop on a hockey story?

Correct, nor are they talking about how I have have 14 million in cap space. Nor are they talking about how Bergevin bought himself a week of not doing anything waiting on Waddell. I really think this was done by Bergevin to keep the fans and media off his ass. Once all the good UFA are gone and Waddell matches he will throw up his hands and say “we tried”.

So ... does Bergevin lose his optics if the Canes match that offer? In, say an hour or so?

Because guess what's happening this afternoon.

Announcement: We are happy to welcome Sebastian back for another 5 years, and know he'll be the cornerstone of our forward group for years to come. We'll be holding a signing event and press availability...

(checks calendar)

...next Monday at noon.

Of his reaction to the offer sheet, Dundon, said, “We’re surprised. We love the player and we’re happy to have this done. And surprised someone would have thought this would work.

“We were never going to let him go. He didn’t want to go. This is just part of the business of getting the deal done. I said the day I bought the team and nothing has changed, he’s one of if not the most important part of our future and we’re lucky to have him.”

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article232186637.html#storylink=cpy

Nice jab.

So does Bergevin now take a shot at Pointe, or do offer sheets go into hibernation for another five years or so?

So does Bergevin now take a shot at Pointe, or do offer sheets go into hibernation for another five years or so?

I read that Pointe, through his agent, said he is not interested in signing any offer sheets.

That may be "Plan B", but pretty sure MB would really like the player on this deal tho.

If he really did he'd have done $10.5 mil per and $25-28m in signing bonuses. This was a half-ass attempt which is why I think he did this as a deflection.

So ... does Bergevin lose his optics if the Canes match that offer? In, say an hour or so?

Because guess what's happening this afternoon.

No he doesn't lose the optics because now all the big UFA are signed. What he will lose is his answer as to why the team with the second highest revenue in the league is once again way under the cap for the 4th straight year. Geoff Molson will get a lot of heat for that one. Personally I hope this blows up in their faces because it's damn obvious they dragged two fanbases through the mud for nothing.

Back