• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Offer Sheet for Aho

Correct, nor are they talking about how the Habs have 14 million in cap space. Nor are they talking about how Bergevin bought himself a week of not doing anything waiting on Waddell. I really think this was done by Bergevin to keep the fans and media off his ass. Once all the good UFA are gone and Waddell matches he will throw up his hands and say “we tried”.
this actually makes a ton of sense

So, as Cane fans... are you happy this happened and you now have Aho locked up for 5 years at a reasonable salary?

Or would you have preferred to let this drag out all summer and possibly into the season... which is actually more common than an offer sheet.

Interesting that Pointe, via his agent (same agent as Aho), is saying no offer sheets. Again, to me, this is going to soil Aho at some level. I will be interested to hear his comments when the time comes. Did Aho tell his agent to get a deal done ASAP and the agent steered him to this process? Did the Habs drive this and Aho and his agent saw this as the best way to get the deal they wanted from the Canes? Does Aho REALLY want to play for the Habs like MB claimed?

We likely won't ever know the full truth. But for some fans the narrative, right or wrong, is going to be Aho doesn't really want to be here no matter what he says after this. Not sure the kid fully realizes this.

Last edited:
I don't think Aho will speak about this. Ever.

What will he do, call his agent a liar? Or just piss off Canes fans? He's best to keep his yap closed.

A few opinions: if Aho is the $12m dollar player some people think he is, why didn't Montreal offer him the moon? They could have made it very difficult, or foolish to match. I don't think the Canes match I'd the offer was $12m or more per. I think they'd be crazy to do so. I've never hidden my opinion that Aho isn't quite in the elite group yet.

The rumors that the Canes stuck to a $6m offer, aren't true. But it makes people happy to think the Canes are broke and couldn't afford more.

Seeing the thoughts and opinions of so many hockey fans from all over the NHL world, really makes me wonder just how stupid people can be. Because hockey still has ZERO business in Carolina.

Last edited:
So, as Cane fans... are you happy this happened and you now have Aho locked up for 5 years at a reasonable salary?

Or would you have preferred to let this drag out all summer and possibly into the season... which is actually more common than an offer sheet.

I would have preferred that the Canes had been left to negotiate with the player one on one without interference from another franchise. Which is the same thing every team in the league would say, including yours.

I don't like the term, but the AAV is fair. That would have been a reasonable place for the two sides to land and it wouldn't have taken all the histrionics. Now it's done sooner. Woo freaking hoo.

Honestly I wanted to buy out a couple years of Free Agency. It's done now and Aho Bet on himself and will probably win big.. So I don't "hate" it but it forced our hand faster then I think the 'Canes wanted to I think the AAV would have been about this but the lack of 6-8 years hurts.

Not happy. It's not an A-B choice as you presented it. I'm 100% sure they would have gotten it done in plenty of time for the season with maybe even a higher AAV, but less drama. Probably would have been able to compromise on the longer deal into 1 year or maybe 2 of UFA too, who knows.

I would have preferred that the Canes had been left to negotiate with the player one on one without interference from another franchise. Which is the same thing every team in the league would say, including yours.

I don't like the term, but the AAV is fair. That would have been a reasonable place for the two sides to land and it wouldn't have taken all the histrionics. Now it's done sooner. Woo freaking hoo.

I remember when the Habs and Subban went through this. It ended up going into the season and we came out with a shitty deal. That sucked.

I remember when the Habs and Subban went through this. It ended up going into the season and we came out with a shitty deal. That sucked.

Sure. That would suck. But it would be done between the two fully invested parties. Now imagine a scenario where another team jumps into the process and forces the Habs hand and they end up making a compromise they didn't really want to make earlier in the process. Are they going to send that team a Christmas card? I think not.

Not sure what you're fishing for here. Nobody is going to thank you for getting our best player signed to a deal that makes him a UFA in 5 years, reasonable cost or not. From the team's perspective you're looking to land at 6-8 years or at 2-3 ... either gaining some free agent years or bridging to arbitration. Montreal landed us smack in the middle of contract no man's land. And we're supposed to grateful for some reason?

Sure. That would suck. But it would be done between the two fully invested parties. Now imagine a scenario where another team jumps into the process and forces the Habs hand and they end up making a compromise they didn't really want to make earlier in the process. Are they going to send that team a Christmas card? I think not.

Not sure what you're fishing for here. Nobody is going to thank you for getting our best player signed to a deal that makes him a UFA in 5 years, reasonable cost or not. From the team's perspective you're looking to land at 6-8 years or at 2-3 ... either gaining some free agent years or bridging to arbitration. Montreal landed us smack in the middle of contract no man's land. And we're supposed to grateful for some reason?

I'm not fishing for anything man. I'm not an enemy. I was curious about the feeling of people on the other end.

I'm not fishing for anything man. I'm not an enemy. I was curious about the feeling of people on the other end.

I know you're not meaning to do this, but you guys are acting like it's a legit option to be grateful for a thing you'd be royally pissed off about if somebody did it to your team. Forget small market and all that other window dressing. All it boils down to is another team setting terms for your RFA player that you're pretty much guaranteed to match because you have to. That's not a good thing.

I'm fine with this. I don't think we can have our cake (dream of an offer sheet that we make) and eat it too (not want our guys to get offered).

I do think that there is a market shift around term after entry deals that will continue to be tested---and I fear this could have dragged out--with even more commentary about how we are cheap.

Would have liked longer term--don't think we would have got there. Awkward, sure, but it works.

The only thing for certain is that Aho is now under contract as a Cane for at least 5 more years. I agree, he ought to keep his mouth shut about this contract, except to say how pleased he is to remain in Raleigh (even if it's not true) and remain a part of this team. He could use some PR help to navigate around and smooth over some of the bruised feelings this process has caused, but if he performs as anticipated, even those feelings will pass. The same thing could have happened if we had conducted a drawn-out, contentious contract negotiation one-on-one - but at least it wouldn't have involved another team's needless meddling.

I'd love to see him pivot to Point or Marner... Mikko Rantanen

Point's agent said his client will not sign an offer sheet.

They should offer sheet Matt Tkachuk, then Rantanen, then anybody. I mean it seems Bergevin wants to do the negotiating for other teams and all.

Waddell is saying Aho never wanted to leave, and his agent only said those things to expedite the process. Nice saving of face.

Geez, ya step away from the keyboard for an hour and look what happens..... :) Chill is right.

I think some folks are simply unaware of this history of this community or who's responsible for it's existence and don't bother visiting beyond their bookmark link. If they think this is trolling worth whining like that over, they either have never been on a official team board like on Facebook, or HF or god forbid Reddit , or they wrongly assume this is like those other places. I use the "New Posts" link to navigate the site and like at least lurking on, occasionally chiming in on, some threads on other boards.... wouldn't mind more folks visiting here even, you and the Leafs guys go after each other pretty hard, but you're (mostly) sane, unlike those more visible corners for sports chat.

Gotta know though, tempers are gonna be a bit short in general over something like this... or a playoff series.

:cheers2:

My biggest issue with the Leaf fans is their constant bashing of the USA. Ticks me off. They're a good bunch of guys otherwise.

Back