• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs sign Ben Chiarot to three-year, $10.5M deal

28 years old, left-shot defenceman, had 20 points and averaged 18:37 TOI in 78 games with the Jets last season.

Not a fan of Chiarot but this likely means Gardiner won't be a Hab so I'll take it.

Maybe he can show Mete how to score a goal.

This shows the league that MB is not sitting back doing nothing ... its business as usual.

Good deal - $ and term-wise, curious to watch him play, don’t expect this to be another Alzner, even though analytics are hard on Chiarot.

Mete-Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen / Folin

I’m fine with Mete - Weber, expect significant forward progression from Mete this season.

Chiarot is an excellent fit next to Petry - the big bodied thumper

Allows Kulak to a lot in perfectly on the 3rd pair.

FWIW - Ray Ferraro and McGuire were very very high on Chiarot and will be doing cartwheels.

Last edited:
Great deal - $ and term.

Mete-Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen / Folin

I’m fine with Mete - Weber, expect significant forward progression from Mete this season.

Chiarot is an excellent fit next to Petry - the big bodied thumper

Allows Kulak to a lot in perfectly on the 3rd pair.

Statistically speaking, Kulak-Petry was a great pairing last year, why would you break that up?

The obvious low-risk move... doesn't really solve anything but younger than Benn and probably deflects pucks into his own net less. Preferable I guess than the high-risk medium-reward of signing Gardiner.

I still don't like the left side. Mete is ok but not as top pairing. I suppose it's a work in progress.

Statistically speaking, Kulak-Petry was a great pairing last year, why would you break that up?
IMO Chiarot is bigger, stronger, meaner, more defensively reliable (I.e positioning IQ), and skates as well if not better than Kulak.

Also Chiarot was a big point producer in juniors, so that aspect of the game is there, whether playing top-4 TOI will allow for some of that to manifest is TBD

Not a fan of Chiarot but this likely means Gardiner won't be a Hab so I'll take it.

Maybe he can show Mete how to score a goal.

Chiarot is more of a stay at home dman.

He is better than Benn and uses his size well.

Feel better with him in our lineup than Benn

IMO Chiarot is bigger, stronger, meaner, more defensively reliable (I.e positioning IQ), and skates as well if not better than Kulak.

The advance stats don't lie, Kulak-Petry was the best pairing for the Habs last year. I would not mess with that unless their play falls off. If it does then I would swap Kulak with Chiarot.

Yeah, I think fans will appreciate the physical aspect he brings, and he's not a meat head, he's a smart player.

Jets wanted to keep this guy but of course they are tight against the cap

The advance stats don't lie, Kulak-Petry was the best pairing for the Habs last year. I would not mess with that unless their play falls off. If it does then I would swap Kulak with Chiarot.

I agree. The two played great together

Chiarot would look good next to Petry, give Petry more freedom to rush the puck because he does do that well

We got rid of a goalie that cost us games and a D that cost us games. Two needs have now been met.

Also Chiarot was a big point producer in juniors, so that aspect of the game is there, whether playing top-4 TOI will allow for some of that to manifest is TBD

https://theathletic.com/955079/2019...his-excellent-play-in-the-canadiens-top-four/

You have a subscription, read this again. A very compelling statistical argument for keeping Kulak with Petry.

Back