• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Sign Ryan Dzingel

Oooooohhhhh...... Well that just makes things a whole lot of interesting. Need a bit of time to digest that, I had assumed we were done save for maybe a 4th line vet plugger which obviously Dzingel is not.

Last edited:
Oooooohhhhh...... Well that just makes things a whole lot of interesting. Need a bit of time to digest that, I had assumed we were done save for maybe a 4th line vet plugger which obviously Dzingel is not.

Ok, now the too early, but obvious question...where does he slot in? Is this an acknowledgment that JWill is either done or signing elsewhere? Does this doom Necas to another year in Charlotte?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year between Ottawa and Columbus, he was a 26 goal, 30 assist fella. Five of those goals came on the power play

For the record while Dzingel is listed as a center most places, he primarily plays the wing and hasn't been a regular faceoff guy at the NHL level. So don't expect him to be playing center for the Canes either.

You have to wonder if this means that Justin Williams is not coming back.

Nino-Aho-Teravainen
Svech-Staal-Dzingel
McGinn-Haula-Necas
Foegele-Wallmark-Martinook

Justin Williams would make that a pretty crowded top 9 with Dzingel in the fold. I don't see the Canes effectively blocking Necas with Justin Williams. All that said, it not out of the realm of possibility that Justin Williams still comes back and someone else gets traded. As stands now though I think this signing means Justin Williams will not return.

On Tuesday, Sara Civian posted her first version of the lines next year. It assumes that Williams comes back.

Nino/Aho/Turbo
Svech/Haula/Necas
McGinn/Staal/Williams
Foegele/Wallmark/Martinook

Maenalanen as the spare

Dzingel can play center or LW. But where?

Last edited:
I like this signing-- I like Dzingle and despite the knock of not being physical, I think he will do well here. Thanks, Don! If you look at the Metro, I am thinking we're the team that's gotten better and not certain one can say the same about the other teams in the division.

I am not clear on where we'll be come training camp-- looks like the only position up for grabs is the one that may be the one for Necas/Williams, unless the org is uncertain about McGinn, but we need that kind of player and that's not Dzingle. I like that this depth in our forward group!

With the acquisition of Haula and Dzingle, I have to believe the power play has just gotten a bit better....

Put Dzingel on the 3rd line and remove Justin Williams. There really isn't any other play unless we are completely abandoning Necas as an NHLer this season.

If you look at the Metro, I am thinking we're the team that's gotten better and not certain one can say the same about the other teams in the division.

The teams below us have improved (except Columbus). The teams above us have ... aged. The division might be even more compacted than it was last year.

Like the signing.

Ok, now the too early, but obvious question...where does he slot in? Is this an acknowledgment that JWill is either done or signing elsewhere? Does this doom Necas to another year in Charlotte?

I like the signing based on the fact that Dzingel does have quite a bit of offense in his game and can be used just about anywhere in the top 9 including lots of power play time. I still think JWill could come back even with this signing and Necas becomes the first callup from Charlotte because you know an injury or two will happen. It's not the end of the world if Necas starts the season in Charlotte because the Canes have four solid lines out of camp, that's the kind of problems most teams would love to have!

Put Dzingel on the 3rd line and remove Justin Williams. There really isn't any other play unless we are completely abandoning Necas as an NHLer this season.

They could also walk away from McGinn’s arbitration award (if it gets to that point) and make him a UFA.

Well, this was unexpected - and pleasantly so! All of a sudden, we've got plenty of options on offense.

From a season ticket sales perspective right now, it really does the Hurricanes no good to announce Williams is retiring even if Dandy Don knows as much. So if anything, the Dzingel signing pretty much is Waddell being proactive to fill the Williams hole now while he is still available on the open market instead of staring at that hole on right wing a month from now. I just hate the leadership aspect of losing Williams if he indeed is calling it a career.

CapFriendly tweeted that the Canes have just over $7 million in cap space with 19 players under contract. That includes Necas and Brian Gibbons among the 12 forwards. There are only 5 dmen included, Fleury and Forsling are RFAs, Bean is listed in the non-roster section. It includes Mrazek and Reimer in goal.

Unless we make a trade, there is no room for Williams. Figure McGinn for $2 million, fleury’s QO was $906k. Add in Bean or Forsling for the 7th dman at no more than $2 million total. We’ve eaten almost $5 million of the $7 million left. Remove Gibbons and Necas for $1.6 million total (leaving us with 12 forwards if Williams signs) and there is less than $4 million left for Williams.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/hurricanes

I just hate the leadership aspect of losing Williams if he indeed is calling it a career.

That would be the biggest loss. However, this team has had two years to learn from Williams about leadership. That's huge for a young core. That could pay dividends for years to come. I hope that at least one of the guys in the room would now be able to ascend to that role if a vacuum was created.

CapFriendly tweeted that the Canes have just over $7 million in cap space with 19 players under contract. That includes Necas and Brian Gibbons among the 12 forwards. There are only 5 dmen included, Fleury and Forsling are RFAs, Bean is listed in the non-roster section. It includes Mrazek and Reimer in goal.

Unless we make a trade, there is no room for Williams. Figure McGinn for $2 million, fleury’s QO was $906k. Add in Bean or Forsling for the 7th dman at no more than $2 million total. We’ve eaten almost $5 million of the $7 million left. Remove Gibbons and Necas for $1.6 million total (leaving us with 12 forwards if Williams signs) and there is less than $4 million left for Williams.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/hurricanes

Which still leaves James Reimer as a very expensive luxury item as a backup at $3.5 million when you can have a much cheaper alternative in Forsberg or Ned. They may need to move out Reimer as the most logical way to free up more cap space.

Which still leaves James Reimer as a very expensive luxury item as a backup at $3.5 million when you can have a much cheaper alternative in Forsberg or Ned. They may need to move out Reimer as the most logical way to free up more cap space.

I think they’d have to trade him, we won’t get enough cap relief if we buy him out. He has a bonus due next July and that has to be included in full in the year 1 buyout, as we found with Marleau’s buyout .

@SNstats: #Canes Ryan Dzingel has 138 points in 268 career games, despite being drafted in the 7th round of the 2011 Draft. Only Ondrej Palat has more games played from that 7th round (427).

That would be the biggest loss. However, this team has had two years to learn from Williams about leadership. That's huge for a young core. That could pay dividends for years to come. I hope that at least one of the guys in the room would now be able to ascend to that role if a vacuum was created.

Who are you considering?

Staal and Faulk, nope. (BTDT)
Aho, maybe, but very young.
Slavin, good candidate (IMO) and definitely one of our better players to Captain by example.

Back