• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Lineup Your Lineups - 2019-2020

Thought we could get a little discussion going on the potential lineups for opening night. I realize that there may be players swapped out before then but it's the middle of summer so use what you got.

Since no new top 6 centers were brought in we have to assume Domi/Danault will be the top 2 again until KK rounds to form.

Drouin-Domi-Byron
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-KK-Armia
Weal-Thompson-Cousins

That's pretty fugly actually. I don't see where Poehling will slot in so unless he knocks it out of the park at camp I think he starts the year in Laval. Jake Evans has a shot at the bottom 6 as the Habs are thin at RW but again, I don't think he starts the season in Montreal.

Mete-Weber
Kulak-Petry
Chiarot-Folin
Reilly

I still am not a fan of the left side. Maybe Fleury or Brook impress enough at camp to displace Folin however that still doesn't help on the left side. Romanov still has a year left on his KHL deal and the rest of the LD in the system are serious long shots.

Price
Kinkaid

The Habs will once again go as far as goaltending will take them. We can expect Drouin to maybe do a little better this season (hopefully) but we can also expect some regression from some career years last season.

All-in-all I just don't see enough improvement to jump into the top 6 in the conference. Other teams got better, Habs really didn't.. Can they finish 7 or 8? Sure, if things go right and Kinkaid provides better goaltending than Niemi did, however I just don't see the required improvement. The Habs will play teams hard as that is what Julien demands but where is the offense coming from outside Gallagher and Domi?

A few random thoughts.....

- Can Domi continue or even improve on what he did?
- How does KK do this year? Sophomore slump? Steady improvement? Giant leap in improvement?
- How will they handle the young players. Let them develop a full year in the AHL? or does somebody like RP, Suzuki, Brook get the call for injuries?

Drouin-Domi-Byron
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-KK-Armia
Weal-Poehling-Cousins
Thompson
Weise

Mete-Weber
Kulak-Petry
Chiarot-Juulsen
Folin
Reilly

Price
Kinkaid

Probably exactly how I would do it.

A few random thoughts.....

- Can Domi continue or even improve on what he did?
- How does KK do this year? Sophomore slump? Steady improvement? Giant leap in improvement?
- How will they handle the young players. Let them develop a full year in the AHL? or does somebody like RP, Suzuki, Brook get the call for injuries?

RP will be in the starting lineup from day one, regardless of injuries.

Instead of which of the 8 that made it last year, and the much improved (you have to think) Panthers? And why will the power play will be better this season, with the same players (largely)?

That's why I said if.

But the powerplay is more about the setup than the players.

But again, I have zero expectations that the powerplay will be better

If that's the lineup it means that the Habs aren't better than any of Tampa, Boston or Toronto -- and will need to battle it out for a wildcard if they stay healthy. One major injury likely brings them into the bottom 10.

IMO this has been a frustratingly bad off season for the Habs. We are once again potentially going into the season as a non cap team. I am starting to question the need to hold onto Price and Weber if we are not trying to win a cup.

Weber, and especially Price, ensure that the fanbase at least holds out hope, which ensures that the tickets will be sold . . . which appears to be all that G. Molson cares about.

Kotkaniemi needs to be a top 2 centre for the Montreal Canadiens.
Option #1, move Domi to wing.
Option #2, move Danault to 3rd C.

-----

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - Kotkaniemi - Byron
Lehkonen - Poeling - Armia
Weal - Thompson - Cousins

Drouin

-----

Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Byron
Lehkonen - Danault - Armia
Weal - Poeling - Cousins

Thompson

Kotkaniemi will be 19 next year. If he's ready for 2C then cool but there is no need to force it either.

That’s the way I see it too. I think he starts on the third line and maybe gets moved up.

-----

Drouin

-----

Drouin - Domi - Byron
Weal - Poeling - Cousins

Thompson

i think by the end of the year KK will be a top two centre

-----

Drouin

-----

Drouin - Domi - Byron
Weal - Poeling - Cousins

Thompson

Both are good predictions

How good is RP? I have read reports that he is a clone of Ryan O'Reilly. He already a good size and is not a kid anymore. I could see him going up the C chart in the not to far away future...

How good is RP? I have read reports that he is a clone of Ryan O'Reilly. He already a good size and is not a kid anymore. I could see him going up the C chart in the not to far away future...
He could become ROR, or he could turn out to be Kyle Chipchura. Only time will tell if he possesses the learning capability to keep developing.

Definitely "closer" to RoR. Seems like a sure fire middle 6 guy with top 6 potential. Best case scenario is probably RoR territory... but I doubt he quite gets there. If he tops out in the 25g 60p range I will be very happy.

Back