• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2018

As much as I love hockey, I have very interest getting my kids into it. It's not just the money but the travel that's crazy. All the games and tournaments are far away from Seattle. One of my friend pretty much has to travel to Canada every weekend for games for his kids. **** that.
At least Seattle teams play in a league, Portland just does tournaments.

As much as I love hockey, I have very interest getting my kids into it. It's not just the money but the travel that's crazy. All the games and tournaments are far away from Seattle. One of my friend pretty much has to travel to Canada every weekend for games for his kids. **** that.

I’ve gotten used to the travel. This spring/summer’s agenda includes Boston, Buffalo and New Hampshire. His AAA league spans from Connecticut to Maryland but then again, Charlie McAvoy, Sonny Milano and Keith Kincaid played in his league so it’s a pretty good level for non-Minnesota and non-Boston area leagues.

I probably spend close to $10k a year on my ten year old's hockey. Yes, that's crazy.

That's pretty crazy. How does the 10K break down....do you have to pay a lot just to play?

That's pretty crazy. How does the 10K break down....do you have to pay a lot just to play?

He plays for 3 different teams but his main club team is about $4k and his 2 other teams are about $2k but then you have travel costs and other incidentals.

He plays for 3 different teams but his main club team is about $4k and his 2 other teams are about $2k but then you have travel costs and other incidentals.

No wonder hockey dads (present company excluded) are demanding *******s who want their kid to play every shift.

No wonder hockey dads (present company excluded) are demanding *******s who want their kid to play every shift.

There is that too.

And at some point, one needs to wonder, how much of this is for fun anymore?

That’s a helluva commitment, Krust. But, if it’s truly a good experience then that’s great.

I don’t think there are any “cheap” sports if it gets competitive... the coaches, camps, travel...

My kids are younger, so we’re only just dabbling in competitive sports. Not sure we’re cut out for it yet. The time commitment is significant.

Last edited:

Mete "impressed" coming out of camp... and overall his defensive game was decent for a 19 year old rookie... but nobody was impressed with his 7 assists. If anything I'd say everyone was disappointed with his offensive output.

Mete has the advantage of not being a vastly overpaid veteran clown. He had a decent rookie year, but he still has a lot to prove.

Habs53 said he was a top paring defenseman. That count?

I never saw that. In fact I find it hard to believe someone claims that Mete is currently a top pairing dman. Even then... it's still pretty dishonest to say "some people...."

If someone thinks he will develop into that I think they have lofty expectations... but it's possible. He's far more likely to be a 2nd pairing guy.

I never saw that. In fact I find it hard to believe someone claims that Mete is currently a top pairing dman. Even then... it's still pretty dishonest to say "some people...."

If someone thinks he will develop into that I think they have lofty expectations... but it's possible. He's far more likely to be a 2nd pairing guy.

It was in a GDT. Somewhere around game 20 or so. I remember asking if he scored yet and people saying that he was a 19 year old kids, habs53 specifically saying he's a top pairing defenseman.

The he's 19 argument forgetting that sergachev and mcavoy were around the same age.

It was in a GDT. Somewhere around game 20 or so. I remember asking if he scored yet and people saying that he was a 19 year old kids, habs53 specifically saying he's a top pairing defenseman.
That's more dishonest than I thought. How could someone have been impressed by his 7 assists 20 games in?

The he's 19 argument forgetting that sergachev and mcavoy were around the same age.
Nobody is arguing that Mete is the same level as those guys.

For sure Mete would have played in London this year if he was with just about any other organization. That's how bad the D was.

The reason they kept Mete all year is the same reason they kept playing Joe Morrow crazy minutes over and over: They needed puck moving d-man after getting rid of Markov and Beaulieu and we had the single worst assembly of LHD in the entire NHL. Name me one team that had a worst assembly than Alzner, Mete, Morrow, Schlemko, Davidson, Jerabek, Valiev, Reilly playing on the left side. Shit, I'm not sure there's more than one real NHL caliber player amonst the whole 'lot of them.

Morrow's probably 8th or 9th on Winterpeg's depth chart, Alzner I don't believe is nearly as bad as his play demonstrated, Schlemko's on his 19th team in three weeks (But yeah that's no way judge how good he is as our forgotten comrade BKerr used to say), Davidson, Jerabek, Valiev are Euroleagues, Reilly was a top prospect once upon a time, but his play never translated to the NHL because his offensive output doesn't match his defensive liabilities and I don't think Mete's going to start the year in the NHL next season.

Back