• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

Dan (we hardly knew ye) Renouf is headed back to Charlotte.

For those who didn’t see the game last night, Pesce was a question mark after the morning skate. Renouf got to the arena about an hour before warmups, skated, changed and sat in the press box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arena upgrades could cost $200 million so they are asking for hotel/meal taxes to pay for them.

they are looking at adding more office space and also more bars/places to eat

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article224079675.html#navlink=SecList

Clarification ... they are formally applying to get payouts from the hotel and meal taxes that are already collected and earmarked to be spent on public sports, recreation and entertainment projects. That's the tax that was put in place way back in the 90s that the County used for their portion of the arena construction and that has funded countless parks and rec projects ... in addition to going towards paying for a variety of projects at the PNC Arena over the last 20 years.

Well then I guess you have to plaster his name all over the team due to the $400 mil he spent to buy it.

and on that subject what exactly is the reason for your hatred of the man? Did he fire your relative or something? Run over your dog with his car? Make a donation to the Rams club?

Well then I guess you have to plaster his name all over the team due to the $400 mil he spent to buy it.

and on that subject what exactly is the reason for your hatred of the man? Did he fire your relative or something? Run over your dog with his car? Make a donation to the Rams club?

Why do you immediately assume that a lack of trust is the same as hatred? Sorry if I'm not enough of a fanboy for your tastes.

Last edited:
so what is the reason for lack of trust? What did he do/not do for that ? Not spend enough? Hire /fire the wrong people? Did he lie about some major thing?

Yes he has certainly made mistakes just like every other business owner in America and every sports team owner. But bad decisions does not mean he's trying to fool people or something along those lines.

Earn it. Show me, don’t tell me. And value my investment.

I’m one guy, dude. Does it really matter that much?

I could have sworn that during the 2006 playoffs as I was listening to Bruce Springsteen I was seeing images projected onto the ice. Is my memory that bad?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

I could have sworn that during the 2006 playoffs as I was listening to Bruce Springsteen I was seeing images projected onto the ice. Is my memory that bad?

These are different, 3D images.

Got it. Where do I get my glasses? :)

It's a new-ish projection technology that allows an almost 3 dimensional depth of field without compromising the 2D image. It's pretty cool to see in person but doesn't really show very well on television. Disney is using this tech in their new Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railroad attraction they'll be opening up in Orlando in the spring, and Universal is supposedly using some of this in the showpieces in their new Harry Potter roller coaster in Orlando as well. I'm looking forward to seeing where this tech leads ... mostly because I hate 3D glasses, which screw around with my eyes and give me headaches with too much exposure.

mostly because I hate 3D glasses, which screw around with my eyes and give me headaches with too much exposure.

The Muppets movie and Honey I Shrunk the Audience are about as long as I can take 3D glasses. Some of the 3D attractions at DisneyQuest really screwed me up.

The Muppets movie and Honey I Shrunk the Audience are about as long as I can take 3D glasses. Some of the 3D attractions at DisneyQuest really screwed me up.

Yup. I get it. Universal has so bloody many 3D screen attractions now ... ugh. Hopefully this new tech smooths out the rough edges and makes that stuff more tolerable.

Staal and Bishop skated after the Slugs morning skate. Staal especially won’t be cleared until he can participate in a full contact practice, which is Monday at best but, looking art the schedule, probably Thursday or Friday is more likely. If he isn’t cleared then, I can’t see him playing before the ASG/bye week, there would be no sense taking him on the western Canada roadie that starts next Sunday.

Worth noting that the Canes get a EIGHT day break over the All Star break. Their last game before the ASG is in Vancouver on the 23rd, but they don't play again until they host the Knights on February 1. Even if they do manage to ride this hot streak awhile, it'll be tough to carry it through that much downtime.

Back