• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 NHL Entry Draft

Seasons tickets to the Moose this year. Saw Lavoie lots last year too.

He comes off as arrogant, entitled and lazy.

He plays a lot like Max Pax. Big but can't hit to save his life.

He relies on others to get him the puck.

Great stride. Great skating.

His head?

He's stupid. Dumb dumb dumb as a stump.

For everything good he does, he does something equally stupid.

IF he makes the show, he's a long term project.

If I were the kind of person to pray, I would pray the Habs don't have a chance to take him.

Seems like he is a prototypical power forward. Above average size, skating, shot, hard to take the puck away from him, but not great at creating his own scoring chances. Depends on how you plan to use him and match him with. If you draft him without a game/development plan, you probably will be disappointed.

The fact that he is not overly physical, is probably the key knock against him and why he is not projected higher.

Last edited:
The only one around our draft number who I’ve seen play is Cam York, and I like him. I’d be fine with him.

I would be too. I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'd be just "fine". There's not a ton of players I really like this year.

I think they lean to Harley or Broberg if available over York

6`3" frames and all 3 will need 2-3 years IMO

All are excellent skaters and skilled

This is what Pronman thinks about my boy, Alex Turcotte:

Elite NHL Prospect/Star NHL Player

Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP-USHL

Feb. 26, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 194 pounds

Skating: 60
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 50
Hockey Sense: 60

Turcotte had a tough season, missing time due to injury and contracting mononucleosis late in the season. When healthy, though, he was awesome and a dominant center at the USHL level. He’s a well-rounded prospect without any clear weakness in his game and a lot of high-end elements. He’s a great skater with a clean stride and can barrel down the wing with speed. Turcotte’s speed is good, not overwhelming, but he’s got a fantastic first step and a great overall pace to his game. He combines that pace with very good hands and vision, showing how versatile a threat he can be. He can make creative plays off the flank and sees his options well. It’s not just his speed and skill that stand out, but his compete level is elite. Turcotte is the kind of forward who can dangle around defensemen, blow by them or drive his way through them. He gets to the net, consistently and without fear. He battles for pucks as hard as anyone and typically wins them, even at 5-foot-11. He’s not the biggest center, but that is really the only criticism I can find of his game. Turcotte has been a top prospect for many years and this season he showed exactly why he’s been so touted.

USNTDP U18 coach John Wroblewski on Turcotte: “Sandpaper and silk. He’s the perfect blend of speed, skill and power. He’s kind of a Brad Marchand type who plays center. He’s got that 1-on-1 ability, he’s got a great shot in tight, unbelievable vision and he plays with an edge. His game is predicated on him driving the puck to the net and putting the opposition on their heels. His bravery combined with his speed makes him the player that he is.”

Hopefully Dach or Cozens falls to us.

If Cozens somehow fell to us, good lord.

That's the thing with this draft. The top 7-9 are awesome prospects. There aren't many question marks for me when it comes to them.

But once you get in the Newhook/Broberg/Lavoie range, ehhhhhhhhh...

That's the thing with this draft. The top 7-9 are awesome prospects. There aren't many question marks for me when it comes to them.

Yep, there's no telling how other teams will pick because they seem to be all a crap shoot after like the top 8ish. Too bad we didn't finish bottom 8! lol

Exactly , this is a solid top 7-10 draft ..... only if.........

Had a look at the hockey news annual on prospects. Yeah, even there reports don't seem to be as glowing as usual when you get past a half dozen players or so.

Given the first handful I'm assuming we won't get, these are guys I'd be interested in in the first round,first few in order of preference:

Cole Caulfield, Alex Newhook, Victor Soderstrom,Raphael Lavoie, Arthur Kaliyev, Thomas Harley, and in random order Cam York, Spencer Knight(goalie), Ville Heinola,Moritz Seider, Jakub Pelletier. And of course any of the lot if they fell to our next pick, I'm assuming in the second round.

I may have a hometown bias on Lavoie and know some are doubtful on him. The only other one I've seen play is Pelletier, on a couple of occasions. Wasn't great in those games, but is probably better than showed and is intriguing.

Second round,I'd look at any of the above and then any of Bobby Brink, Egor Afanasyev, Ryan Johnson. Next tier for that round Matthew Robertson, Philip Tomasino, Albin Grewe

Other players that checked a few boxes for me,perhaps in late second round or beyond,generally in order of preference- Yegor Spiridonov, Alex Beaucage, Maxim Cajovic, Vladislav Firstov, Aaron Huglen, Ethan Phillips, Adam Beckman, Nathan Legare, Ethan Keppen,Simon Holmstrom , Mattias Maccelli,Graeme Clarke , Blake Murray, Cole Mackay,

Comments or insights? Anyone else have a read on any of them? I am going sight unseen with minimal info except for the couple mentioned. And for god sakes, don't let the guys in the backyard escape, but only if they are any good.

Last edited:
Corey Pronman's Mock Draft 1.0.

https://theathletic.com/1012017/201...ecting-the-first-round-of-the-2019-nhl-draft/

_____

york.png

Had a look at the hockey news annual on prospects. Yeah, even there reports don't seem to be as glowing as usual when you get past a half dozen players or so.

Given the first handful I'm assuming we won't get, these are guys I'd be interested in in the first round,first few in order of preference:

Cole Caulfield, Alex Newhook, Victor Soderstrom,Raphael Lavoie, Arthur Kaliyev, Thomas Harley, and in random order Cam York, Spencer Knight(goalie), Ville Heinola,Moritz Seider, Jakub Pelletier. And of course any of the lot if they fell to our next pick, I'm assuming in the second round.

Outside of Cole Caufield, who I would be so happy if he fell to 15, I would shrug and be whatever with any of those players except Lavoie probably. I would take York before all of them.

Caufield >>>> York > Newhook > rest

I may have a hometown bias on Lavoie and know some are doubtful on him. The only other one I've seen play is Pelletier, on a couple of occasions. Wasn't great in those games, but is probably better than showed and is intriguing.

There's a lot of good with Lavoie. If you were to focus on only the good, you have very high upside. But as we've seen with Andrei Kostitsyn, it doesn't matter how good you can be if you don't show up all the time.

Jakob Pelletier's comparable is Brendan Gallagher, the concern with him is whether he can keep improving to make his skills translate to being a top-6 forward in the NHL. If not, he's topping out as a third liner. He'd be the type of player that I'd maybe take a risk on if I had a late first in the 25-30 range.

Second round,I'd look at any of the above and then any of Bobby Brink, Egor Afanasyev, Ryan Johnson. Next tier for that round Matthew Robertson, Philip Tomasino, Albin Grewe

I would be very surprised, especially with Tomasino & Brink, if they're still around at our 46 or 50. If they are, I'd grab them in a second. More realistically, I'm on the Jordan Spence bandwagon. I'd also like Justin Bergeron.

Other players that checked a few boxes for me,perhaps in late second round or beyond,generally in order of preference- Yegor Spiridonov, Alex Beaucage, Maxim Cajovic, Vladislav Firstov, Aaron Huglen, Ethan Phillips, Adam Beckman, Nathan Legare, Ethan Keppen,Simon Holmstrom , Mattias Maccelli,Graeme Clarke , Blake Murray, Cole Mackay,

I would love Maxim Cajkovic with our third. After that, Tuukka Tieksola or Keegan Stevenson, but at this point it's a crapshoot.

Comments or insights? Anyone else have a read on any of them? I am going sight unseen with minimal info except for the couple mentioned. And for god sakes, don't let the guys in the backyard escape, but only if they are any good.

There's a good chance Lavoie turns into something, but such is life.

If you want Future Consideration's draft guide, leave me a PM. A lot of good reading in there.

I heard trevor timmins speak on TSN690 from the combine, he made it fairly obvious that in his mind teams are drafting more and more based on need.

Not sure he can speak for other teams but its obvious that this is the Habs philosophy based on the amount of centers taken last year.

I would think that this year we should expect them to go with dmen, especially LD

I heard trevor timmins speak on TSN690 from the combine, he made it fairly obvious that in his mind teams are drafting more and more based on need.

Not sure he can speak for other teams but its obvious that this is the Habs philosophy based on the amount of centers taken last year.

I would think that this year we should expect them to go with dmen, especially LD

Not just last year. Almost every year since The Charlatan has come into service, we've focused on one type of player in each draft.

Outside of Cole Caufield, who I would be so happy if he fell to 15, I would shrug and be whatever with any of those players except Lavoie probably. I would take York before all of them.

Caufield >>>> York > Newhook > rest

There's a lot of good with Lavoie. If you were to focus on only the good, you have very high upside. But as we've seen with Andrei Kostitsyn, it doesn't matter how good you can be if you don't show up all the time.

Jakob Pelletier's comparable is Brendan Gallagher, the concern with him is whether he can keep improving to make his skills translate to being a top-6 forward in the NHL. If not, he's topping out as a third liner. He'd be the type of player that I'd maybe take a risk on if I had a late first in the 25-30 range.

I would be very surprised, especially with Tomasino & Brink, if they're still around at our 46 or 50. If they are, I'd grab them in a second. More realistically, I'm on the Jordan Spence bandwagon. I'd also like Justin Bergeron.

I would love Maxim Cajkovic with our third. After that, Tuukka Tieksola or Keegan Stevenson, but at this point it's a crapshoot.

There's a good chance Lavoie turns into something, but such is life.

If you want Future Consideration's draft guide, leave me a PM. A lot of good reading in there.

Yes, you see Lavoie somewhat as I do. But we all remember a big centre, Angelo Esposito. Or maybe not. Lavoie looks so tantalizing out there, whether it all goes together for him is something else. I'd be willing they took a chance with a high risk player, rather than settle. I don't really get the criticism of effort some put forth, having viewed him a few times over the years and listening to the fans at the rink who are there more than I. If anything, perhaps its more a question of whether the pieces will all fit together.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, as you have a better read than most of us.I enjoy picking out a few guys and getting your take each year. Thanks also for the offer on the guide, I'm sure it offers far more insight. But I enjoy just the brief hockey news scan and then wait and see how it turns out.

Back