• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weber won't retire before his contract is up. Why would he?

I mean, he almost certainly won't play in the NHL through to the end of his contract.

But if and when he decides he no longer wants to play, he'll do what every single other player on one of these Monster deals does---he'll have a doctor cite either some out-of-the-blue medical condition or any one of the numerous legitimate injuries he's suffered in his career as the reason why he's no longer medically fit to play, and he'll collect every penny that's owed to him until his contract runs out.

Then the Habs will either put him on LTIR & deal with the complications that come along with that, or they'll do a Hossa-to-Arizona type deal to rid themselves of the contract.

You're not getting it. There would be no "complications" for the Habs. The complications would be on Nashville.

ME is probably right though, they would sooner trade for his right back and then pull the LTIR BS.

You're not getting it. There would be no "complications" for the Habs. The complications would be on Nashville.

ME is probably right though, they would sooner trade for his right back and then pull the LTIR BS.
You're the one not getting it.

What you're referring to are the salary cap ramifications if Weber retires before his contract is over. I'm well aware of those, and that they would fall entirely on Nashville.

What I'm saying is that Weber will not officially retire before his contract is over, because retiring before his contract is over doesn't benefit Weber at all. All it'd mean is that he loses out on money that's owed to him. And even if it's the $3M owed to him over the last three years of his deal, or the $6M owed to him over the last four years, why lose out on that money if he doesn't have to?

Instead, he'll go on LTIR, like every other one of these players, and collect all of the money owed to him. So the cap recapture penalties are a moot point.

And the specific "complications" I'm referring to are the same ones the Leafs have faced with Nathan Horton & Joffrey Lupul's contracts.

And it's nothing major, in most circumstances. A few examples off the top of my head:

• In order to access & use the cap room of a player on LTIR, you have to spend to the cap.

• LTIR cap room cannot be used towards rookie performance bonuses.

• You have to be very particular about when you put a player on LTIR in order to get the maximum cap benefit. So the Habs would need a capologist who's really on his game.

So, once Weber suffers his inevitable "career-ending injury/illness", most likely either when his contract dips down to $3M, or when it goes down to $1M the year after, the Habs will decide either to just keep Weber's contract on the books and deal with those little annoyances, or they'll pay some other team to take the contract off his hands.

But the one thing that's not going to happen is Weber retiring and leaving millions of dollars on the table for no reason.

Because teams will continue bullshit LTIR stuff like this knowing they can pawn off the contract to a team trying to reach the floor. It's crap. They need to end it. If a team is stupid enough to give out monster contracts to older players they should be forced to deal with it internally.

How do we deal with Price ethically :couch

sorry we're not helping the habs with that contract. it's not happening. and even if they were interested, now he has a busted knee.

I can't understand why anyone would want him. He's not young and it's not a one year deal.

And he hasn't been able to stay healthy at all since joining the Habs. Who would want to catch this falling knife?

I can't understand why anyone would want him.

Because it's an opportunity to get a #1 RHD for dirty cheap.

He's not young and it's not a one year deal.

If the financial component of the deal is handled properly, none of that matters.

And he hasn't been able to stay healthy at all since joining the Habs.

He played 78 games in his first year as a Hab. Pull his work load back a bit (pretty ideal partner for Rielly), and let our sport science department manage his health. His injuries seem to be wear and tear stuff that gets left unmanaged. If you look at his two major injuries with the habs, the first was a foot injury where he played on a fractured foot for a month until he did enough damage to the tendons that somebody finally figured out that he was hurt and shut him down. Montreal let him play through the fracture, gave him injections, etc. Just piss poor management of a key player. Our sports science department would have told Babcock and Weber both to **** off, he's sitting. He would have missed a few weeks, did his rehab, no bubbles no troubles.

The second was supposed to be a routine clean up once he was opened up they found the damage but it apparently happened in November. More solid handling by the Habs medical staff. The Leafs are using cutting edge camera systems to measure the skating gait of their players at practice to predict injuries (and shut players down for rest when necessary) and the Habs are running guys out there on damaged knees and feet for months at a time.

Yeah, I'd definitely take my chances with Shea Weber in the hands of the Leafs sport science people.

Who would want to catch this falling knife?

It's far more likely that he returns to form than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back