• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL Draft Preliminary Thread

He played the 3d per of the exhibition against Denmark. Gave up nothing in a close game. Dr. Ryan had an assist.

I hope Ryan is MVP of the stupid tournament and plays his way into a huge contract .... somewhere else.

Craig Button heavily invoking Marián Hossa comparisons in his solid endorsement of Svechnikov as the clear #2 in this summer's draft (begins at the 7:30 mark here).

* Can put him out there in all situations (PP and PK)
* Never takes a shift off
* Tkachuk and Zadina both pretty good players, but...

Last edited:
I noticed a little bit of a swell in reporting from Canadian writers indicating that Carolina is open for trading out of the No. 2 slot. When pressed however, that sentiment seems to come back to Luke DeCock's tweets from a couple of weeks ago (before Dudley was hired) so I wouldn't put much stock in that. Wishful thinking is a powerful drug, as the Canadian hockey press prove time and again.

NOT saying that the Canes won't listen to offers and wouldn't trade down for the right package. Dundon is a balance sheet guy and if the value of a proposed deal tips his scales then I think we'll do whatever makes sense to him. But the way our draft table is going to be set up, I think smart money is on us picking the Russian kid with the 2nd pick barring anything unusual. Without a proper GM, our table is heavily scout-flavored and that normally results in a "best available" kind of draft rather than a wheeler dealer draft.

Waddell basically said we're taking the pick barring a "stupid" offer to move down. Based on the last several drafts that means we're taking the pick ... and I just can't imagine a world where that's not Svechnikov. You either take Dahlin or him at the top of this draft. I'd be happy with either one if Buffalo decides to go for an offensive compliment for Eichel. Dahlin would allow you to move Faulk or Hanifin without missing a beat, Svechnikov allows you to add an elite level scorer. Either way, take the pick and go about the business of building the roster. Every single indication out of Buffalo so far is that they're thrilled with the chance to take Dahlin, so ... the Russian kid it is. Nothing is certain, but that seems fairly certain.

BTW ... auto-correct HATES Dahlin's name, so let's skip that guy :0)

There is no way the Canes can blow this......right? Not taking Svechnikov could go down as one of the Caniest things ever! I am excited to see him on the Canes next year.

Mckeen's has Svechnikov and Zadina about even and says it's a matter of preference. Zadina was more prominent in international play and that's attributed to his age-- he's four months older than Svechnikov and at the tender age of 17/18 that can be can be a factor. Svechnikov has been compared with Laine and has a better willingness to play a more physical game. Zadina has killer skills, but perhaps not as physical, but still a threat any time he is on the ice. McKeen's thinks the Canes are leaning toward Zadina as he already has chemistry with Necas, another highly touted Canes prospect. The question is how soon the Canes expect Necas and Zadina to play together.

Yeah, it seems the rankings have them pretty close. I definitely prefer Svechnikov... but I think the consensus is that they're very close.

Heard someone today on NHL Radio's Power Play show (didn't catch who) that was being interviewed for insight into this summer's draft prospects.

Dahlin the clear #1 in his opinion with #2 and #3 close. He would understand if Carolina picked Zadina due to perceived chemistry, but thought Svetchnikov had the higher ceiling.

Both scorers, but he preferred Svetchnikov due to ceiling and more physical game. But acknowledged that Zadina had perhaps more scoring skill from all over the ice. Described him as a more opportunistic scorer with an implied contrast that Svetchnikov created his own opportunities.

Still a Svetchnikov fan here. That Zadina/Necas narrative is just way too easy to recite with very little thinking. It's not that many games they've had together, after all.

Please...draft the talent. We need to hit for the fences.

Heard someone today on NHL Radio's Power Play show (didn't catch who) that was being interviewed for insight into this summer's draft prospects.

Dahlin the clear #1 in his opinion with #2 and #3 close. He would understand if Carolina picked Zadina due to perceived chemistry, but thought Svetchnikov had the higher ceiling.

Both scorers, but he preferred Svetchnikov due to ceiling and more physical game. But acknowledged that Zadina had perhaps more scoring skill from all over the ice. Described him as a more opportunistic scorer with an implied contrast that Svetchnikov created his own opportunities.

Still a Svetchnikov fan here. That Zadina/Necas narrative is just way too easy to recite with very little thinking. It's not that many games they've had together, after all.

Please...draft the talent. We need to hit for the fences.

I cannot believe the Canes would get lulled into thinking that you would draft a lesser talent like Zadina just because Necas and Zadina are both Czech...that is just dumber than dumb when you look at the Canes past need that craves a physical, skilled winger like Svechnikov that seems to be the better player on just about every draft board. Svechnikov is the slam dunk #2 pick behind Dahlin, already two full years of North American sized rinks and hockey under his belt, take the Russian and thank your lucky stars and put the kid in the lineup in October, period.

Back