• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Trade Deadline 2019

a third rounder is a steep price to pay for a depth move

their petan trade is like our weal trade

It depends what your vision is...I want this team in the playoffs.

We have sever issues on the bottom six...we need to get something once in a while out of that group other than JK.

Is Brassard better than Thompson or Weal? Yes

Is Brassard capable of generating more offense than Thompson or Weal? Yes

Is Brassard a better option if god forbid there is an injury to one of the current centers? Yes

Does Brassard fit into Julien's system? Yes

Can Brassard center a good fourth line with Lehkonen and Hudon? Yes

Again, not a big deal, I would have loved to flip Hudon for him but it's all good.

Not that upset!

Quality over quantity.

Don't trade your first or seconds at the stage we're at.

But I would like to expose this group to a playoff round so they get the feeling of what it's like.

Drouin, Domi, JK, Mete, maybe a Poehling if he comes up and even young vets like Danault, Lehkonen, Armia.

I would prefer to watch a playoff round than finish 9th or 10th in the conference because that is where we'll likely finish if we don't get in.

Brassard is ok but he isn't moving any needle with us

Sure it adds some depth but wasting a 3rd is a meh move

Secondary scoring means nothing if you don't have enough primary scoring

I would of made a hockey trade for a kid that can help us down the road

Brassard is ok but he isn't moving any needle with us

Sure it adds some depth but wasting a 3rd is a meh move

Secondary scoring means nothing if you don't have enough primary scoring

I would of made a hockey trade for a kid that can help us down the road

We have enough primary scoring, we will finish the season with 4 out of the top 6 in the 20 plus goals.

The problem is really secondary scoring and especially out of the 3rd line

I don't think we have enough "primary scoring." I don't think our issue is depth, I think it's at the top of our lineup.

We need another 30-goal scorer, not another 10-goal scorer.

...which is why I'm fine MB did very little.

I tell you why I would have done the Brassard for a 3rd.

1) Chance of a 3rd round pick playing in the NHL is approx 10%
2) The other night Danault's wife had a baby. Our replacement for him was a guy we picked up for a 5th RD pick. Nate Thompson.

I would give up a pick with a 10% chance of making the NHL to reward the efforts of the players this season by giving them at the very least a decent backup plan.

I don't think we have enough "primary scoring." I don't think our issue is depth, I think it's at the top of our lineup.

Hard to say our issue isn't depth scoring when the 3rd line for most of the year (Armia, JK, lehkonen) have combined for 20 goals on goalies between them. (3 empty netters)

I think the issue in the primary scoring department is that these guys all score the same way...we don't really have a sniper or power forward.

So I agree, we need better snipers but this year had we had more scoring support from the bottom lines, in particular the 3rd line we would maybe have an extra 20-25 goals overall.

Lehkonen and Armia under 10 goals each at this time of year is just horrible production for the ice time they get and the center they have

I believe we have 5 goals from the 4rth line all year.

DLo with 2, Peca 2, Agostino 1

Last edited:
Also I think we actually really hurt outselves by not having a second rounder for 3 straight years
Dunno - Lapierre, Subban & Lekhonen are the only 2nd rounders out of 19-drafted during TTs 16-year reign to have even tasted the NHL.

...which is why I'm fine MB did very little.
IMO Habs strategy given lack of elite talent & available cap space, should be to roll 4-lines capable of playing 15-TOI and contributing equally on offense.

IMO Habs strategy given lack of elite talent & available cap space, should be to roll 4-lines capable of playing 15-TOI and contributing equally on offense.

Exactly my point, we need more from the 3rd line on the score sheet.

the 4rth line should chip in once in a while too, not often but 5 goals all year from the 4rth is rather pathetic.

I agree with those things... guess I'm just looking at it in a different lineup-building way.

Byron & Shaw (25 goals) should be third liners on this team, which makes Lehkonen & Armia (13 goals) fourth liners over garbage like D-Lo, Chaput, Agostino...

I just don't think anything that we would've realistically been in on would've helped all that much.

I agree with those things... guess I'm just looking at it in a different lineup-building way.

Byron & Shaw (25 goals) should be third liners on this team, which makes Lehkonen & Armia (13 goals) fourth liners over garbage like D-Lo, Chaput, Agostino...

I just don't think anything that we would've realistically been in on would've helped all that much.

Bingo

What I would of liked if possible is taking gambles on players like Ho-Sang and EK who haven't panned out

We have enough primary scoring, we will finish the season with 4 out of the top 6 in the 20 plus goals.

The problem is really secondary scoring and especially out of the 3rd line

i actually think the opposite

we have enough secondary scoring
we need more primary scoring and/or PP scoring

There was nothing that was worth overpaying for.

But bargain shopping, I like the price tag for Brassard to add some quality depth rather than questionable depth.

I think a 3rd rounder was a fair price.

i actually think the opposite

we have enough secondary scoring
we need more primary scoring and/or PP scoring

Production is only coming from guys playing on the Domi line or Danault line.

We are getting little from other lines...last night would have been a great night to see the 3rd line pop one in like Lehkonen bury his breakaway.

Just goes to show that one goal here and there from the bottom line is huge.

Dunno - Lapierre, Subban & Lekhonen are the only 2nd rounders out of 19-drafted during TTs 16-year reign to have even tasted the NHL.

Well that is just not true. But ok add fatendresse and maybe DLR and sure.
But I will not defend TT post 2007. Hell we should have just traded all of our first round picks as well.

I think it is interesting to look post 2007.

First rounders
2018 - KK
2017 - Poehling
2016 - Sergachev
2015 - Juulsen
2014 - Scherbak
2013 - McCarron
2012 - Chuck
2011 - Beaulieu
2010 - Tinordi
2009 - Leblanc
2008 - none

Second rounders
2018 - Olofsson, Romanov, Ylonen
2017 - Brook, Ikonen
2016 - none
2015 - none
2014 - none
2013 - DLR, Lek, Fucale
2012 - colberg, thrower
2011 - none
2010 - none
2009 - none
2008 - Kristo

that is a lot of years giving away second rounders and timmins had largely struck out in the years he had multiple picks - though the previous two years look decent

but i also like to look beyond just the second round as well

2018 - probably too early to tell - but i am not likely anyone here
2017 - Primeau, Fluery, Tyszka
2016 - mete
2015 - nothing IMO
2014 - mild hope for evans
2013 - Andrighetto
2012 - hudon
2011 - dietz played a few games
2010 - gallagher in the 5th - thank goodness as no second or third rounders
2009 - almost as bad as 2008 - dumont in the 5th
2008 - wasteland - only 5 picks and not a single NHL game played

So many years without 2nd rounder hurt us a lot and they were all traded often for short term playoff boost (Petry did convert to long term good trade).

Back