• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Game 66, Canadiens at Devils

You know this is a BS league when people just accept the fact that the draft lottery is rigged by the Commish in order to favor or punish certain teams. I don't know of anyone in my circle of acquaintances who doesn't believe that the fix is in this year or that it wasn't in back in 2005 when Crosby saved Pittsburgh from bankruptcy.

Other than the Sid fix rigged , The is no way the rest of the lotteries were .

There is no way Buttman would of given CMD to Deadmonton or 3 othe lottery wins.

Sid was to save a franchise and because of the lockout the system was a different type of lottery so it looks less rigged.

Sad state of affairs, bunch of us hoping for team to lose. I can't watch under those conditions. Include me in the bunch, too.

No league should ever come to this. Picks should be random draw among all teams, equal chance,in the first round like 2005. Only way to fix this shit. I'll keep harping.....

Or maybe we can go back to sponsoring junior teams as per pre-expansion 1967. Could it be worse? :smilewinkgrin:

Sad state of affairs, bunch of us hoping for team to lose. I can't watch under those conditions. Include me in the bunch, too.

No league should ever come to this. Picks should be random draw among all teams, equal chance,in the first round like 2005. Only way to fix this shit. I'll keep harping.....

Or maybe we can go back to sponsoring junior teams as per pre-expansion 1967. Could it be worse? :smilewinkgrin:

Yes. Some teams would go into down periods and never get the talent to get out of it, while powerhouse teams could continue to get talented young players and be good for decades on end.

This year for example, imagine nashville getting dahlin and montreal getting the 31st pick. The rich would get richer, the poor would get poorer.

No thanks. There is a reason why every major north American sports league rewards the losers with access to the best young talent entering the league.

Wanting the team to lose every game the rest of year doesn't make you a bad fan. It creates a light at the end of the tunnel.

They're not making the playoffs this year. There is no reason to cheer for wins that actually hurt the team now.

Yes. Some teams would go into down periods and never get the talent to get out of it, while powerhouse teams could continue to get talented young players and be good for decades on end.

This year for example, imagine nashville getting dahlin and montreal getting the 31st pick. The rich would get richer, the poor would get poorer.

No thanks. There is a reason why every major north American sports league rewards the losers with access to the best young talent entering the league.

Hence, the status quo. We cheer to lose. Once unheard of.

As for the random draw, us getting 31 and Nashville getting Dahlin,I have no issue with that in principle. The crap product we and other teams put out due to incompetent ownership does not deserve to be rewarded. And next year, the reverse might happen. That's the attraction of the random draw.

I have no issue whatsoever with the current draft lottery system. You only have a 18 (or so) percent chance of getting the 1st overall if you finish dead last.

Last edited:
Hence, the status quo. We cheer to lose. Once unheard of.

As for the random draw, us getting 31 and Nashville getting Dahlin,I have no issue with that in principle. The crap product we and other teams put out due to incompetent ownership does not deserve to be rewarded. And next year, the reverse might happen. That's the attraction of the random draw.

You are right, the next year the reverse might happen.

So the end result is what? After ten seasons, Nashville(For example)gets better, Montreal gets better, teams around us get better about the same amount due to every team getting approximately the same amount of talent coming into their organizations. So Montreal is stuck in the gutter because for every good player we get, every other team is probably getting the same amount regardless of where they finish, and a lot of the time we will be drafting late in the first round not helping the organization that is already bad get any better.

The system right now works. Teams that suck get the access to better players, and with some luck and good management, those shit teams become the Blackhawks and the Penguins. Once they become good, they no longer get access to those better young players making it harder and harder to maintain their elite squads, especially as the elite young talent they drafted get older and more expensive. Then, eventually, there comes a point where they get passed by the teams that sucked while they were good and the process begins anew.

And it's what, a 10 year cycle of being good if you're lucky? That gives hope to every team that they wont be stuck in the dumps forever, that eventually being bad, either by design or by piss poor management will eventually lead to a period of being good.

The only other system that really works is relegation. You suck, you get dumped down a tier and then you will generally do well at that lower level trying to make it back to the top tier. I personally don't want to see the NHL adopt a relegation style.

Obviously the league, all leagues, agree with it so there will be no move to get away from the current draft system other than slight modifications. But with a salary cap system in place, a team with extreme luck in a series of random draws or some similarity will be still be forced to distribute their talent because they won't be able to afford it all. Unless, of course, they are terrible at drafting despite a plethora of high picks. Anything that gets rid of the word and concept of "tank" can only be a good thing.

Obviously the league, all leagues, agree with it so there will be no move to get away from the current draft system other than slight modifications. But with a salary cap system in place, a team with extreme luck in a series of random draws or some similarity will be still be forced to distribute their talent because they won't be able to afford it all. Unless, of course, they are terrible at drafting despite a plethora of high picks. Anything that gets rid of the word and concept of "tank" can only be a good thing.

Bad teams need a way to get better. Good teams don't need any added assistance in being better.

The only thing I've heard of that can do that while eliminating tanking is when a team is mathematically eliminated, every point they get after that point gets added to their lottery points. The team with the most points after being mathematically eliminated has the best chance at the 1st overall.

The kicker in this system is a team can tank early in the season, get mathematically eliminated early on then start raking in wins.

For example, Stamkos is hurt to start the season. Tampa gets him back after the trade deadline and bam, they are back to being a elite team. Meanwhile the habs were bad all season, got mathematically eliminated at the same time but due to actually being bad, cannot win at the same rate as tampa. So there is room for abuse in that system as well.

Last edited:
Back