• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Ex-Canes Thread?

The Slugs have Dallas and Pittsburgh before coming here on a Saturday. Without Eichel for them, it’s likely he makes his 2nd trip back as a minus player.

Skinner was even against Dallas but -1 tonight. That makes him -1 on the season.

Zykov actually has been playing some games for Vegas down the stretch (3 games here at the end of March, 0 points, -2...playing about 10 minutes a game).

Zykov scored a goal in Vegas' final game of the regular season, giving him 2 in the 10 games he played there. It will be interesting to see if he can secure a roster spot with them next season or if he will end up on the waiver carousel again.

Zykov scored a goal in Vegas' final game of the regular season, giving him 2 in the 10 games he played there. It will be interesting to see if he can secure a roster spot with them next season or if he will end up on the waiver carousel again.

If he gets waived again, wouldn't you figure Zykov would just go back to Russia and make bank while scoring goals? He'd be a first line player on most KHL teams.

Speaking of Zykov, it appears Charlotte has this year's version of Zykov in Aleksey Saarella. Leading the team offensively with lots of goals, a few years of AHL hockey now under his belt. Is he ready to make the jump next year to the NHL or will he be another Zykov that cannot make the transition over to the NHL to provide that same offensive punch?

Saarela is still waivers exempt through next season, so the Canes in theory can put him back in the AHL should he not make the team next season. We didn't have that option with Zykov.

I'm still holding to my theory that Saarela is traded in the offseason having faced Brindy's early camp wrath this season. Maybe the Canes think his offensive upside is worth another chance at redemption and maybe he gets it, but we have so many forward prospects in Charlotte that I would be surprised if all of them are still with the franchise come the 19-20 camp.

Saarela is still waivers exempt through next season, so the Canes in theory can put him back in the AHL should he not make the team next season. We didn't have that option with Zykov.

I'm still holding to my theory that Saarela is traded in the offseason having faced Brindy's early camp wrath this season. Maybe the Canes think his offensive upside is worth another chance at redemption and maybe he gets it, but we have so many forward prospects in Charlotte that I would be surprised if all of them are still with the franchise come the 19-20 camp.

I'm mostly in agreement with you on Saarela. He'll either get traded this summer or get one more shot at the big club. If he doesn't make it, I really doubt they go into another AHL season with him clogging up the development opportunities for guys like Kuokkanen, Gauthier and Geekie should they determine that Saarela is simply not suited for Brindy's roster.

Back