• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The league is a farce with this crap. They gotta put a kibosh on this contract selling crap.

Why?

Zona is taking on 1M per year of real money and for doing so we know they are getting a cheap young top 9 forward, and probably not surrendering anything worthwhile.

Why?

Zona is taking on 1M per year of real money and for doing so we know they are getting a cheap young top 9 forward, and probably not surrendering anything worthwhile.

Because teams will continue bullshit LTIR stuff like this knowing they can pawn off the contract to a team trying to reach the floor. It's crap. They need to end it. If a team is stupid enough to give out monster contracts to older players they should be forced to deal with it internally.

Because teams will continue bullshit LTIR stuff like this knowing they can pawn off the contract to a team trying to reach the floor. It's crap. They need to end it. If a team is stupid enough to give out monster contracts to older players they should be forced to deal with it internally.

Zona will likely be making out like bandits in this deal.

Also, **** you Stan if all you are getting is cap space, as why in the hell couldn't this deal be made prior to July 1

Players are fine with it because it means that teams are more likely to pay older players more money. Teams/the league is fine with it because it allows them to either A) be a rich team and move trouble contracts or B) be a welfare/rebuilding team and extract assets from rich teams for cap space the welfare/rebuilding team was unlikely to use anyway

Yeah, I don't see who exactly is going to be motivated to fix this particular problem.

Sounds like Kruger and his 2.75M expriing deal is heading to CHI.

Stan just can't help himself with things that won cups for him before.

Players are fine with it because it means that teams are more likely to pay older players more money. Teams/the league is fine with it because it allows them to either A) be a rich team and move trouble contracts or B) be a welfare/rebuilding team and extract assets from rich teams for cap space the welfare/rebuilding team was unlikely to use anyway

Yeah, I don't see who exactly is going to be motivated to fix this particular problem.
Yeah, that's a good summary of the situation. It's in nobody's best interests to put a stop to these kinds of moves.

Also, considering the Habs are currently the proud owners of the Shea Weber contract, I'm not sure why a Hab fan would be the one to want to get rid of these moves. Though I suppose the Habs may also be able to take care of Weber's contract if there's another round of "compliance buyouts" that don't count against the cap following the lockout in 2020.

I know it's a desired loophole. I disagree with it.

Yeah, that's a good summary of the situation. It's in nobody's best interests to put a stop to these kinds of moves.

Also, considering the Habs are currently the proud owners of the Shea Weber contract, I'm not sure why a Hab fan would be the one to want to get rid of these moves. Though I suppose the Habs may also be able to take care of Weber's contract if there's another round of "compliance buyouts" that don't count against the cap following the lockout in 2020.

Nashville is on the hook for Weber if he retires, not the Habs.

Anyone else getting tired of Arizona doing this? It feels that organization just takes from the NHL.
Also, you have a guaranteed landing spot for all LTIR players.

Sure...but what if he just declines a lot, but wants to stay in the league?

His salary would be $1M. Who cares.

Personally, I believe he wouldn't stick around through pain for $1M in salary. He'd retire. Then Nashville gets ****ed with the recapture cap.

His salary would be $1M. Who cares.

That's assuming that it happens in the last few years of his deal and not sooner. My point is, that Montreal would be quite pleased to be able to cap dump an aging/declining Weber if he became a proper albatross.

Personally, I believe he wouldn't stick around through pain for $1M in salary. He'd retire. Then Nashville gets ****ed with the recapture cap.

Nashville trades for him and LTIR's him before it gets that far.

Nashville is on the hook for Weber if he retires, not the Habs.
Weber won't retire before his contract is up. Why would he?

I mean, he almost certainly won't play in the NHL through to the end of his contract.

But if and when he decides he no longer wants to play, he'll do what every single other player on one of these Monster deals does---he'll have a doctor cite either some out-of-the-blue medical condition or any one of the numerous legitimate injuries he's suffered in his career as the reason why he's no longer medically fit to play, and he'll collect every penny that's owed to him until his contract runs out.

Then the Habs will either put him on LTIR & deal with the complications that come along with that, or they'll do a Hossa-to-Arizona type deal to rid themselves of the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back