• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

News Thread ... 2018-19 Season

I wonder if Stu Holden has stopped slobbering over Martínez and Almiron? It was a homer-ish broadcast from what is supposed to be neutral.

I wonder if Stu Holden has stopped slobbering over Martínez and Almiron? It was a homer-ish broadcast from what is supposed to be neutral.

Yeah ... Stu's a favorite of mine normally, but he REALLY got the tone of that broadcast all wrong. Don't start acting like Taylor Twellman, dude. We don't need two of those. Nobody does. IIRC he's got some ties to the Atlanta ownership group, but you've got to be more detached than that.

Last edited:
Yeah ... Stu's a favorite of mine normally, but he REALLY got the tone of that broadcast all wrong. Don't start acting like Taylor Twellman, dude. We don't need two of those. Nobody does. IIRC he's got some ties to the Atlanta ownership group, but you've got to be more detached than that.

He’s normally very good, that’s what was so offputting by it.

Speaking of Twellman, he’s getting a new partner in the booth on ESPN MLS games. Jon Champion will be the new play by play voice next season. While he may have the same accent as outgoing voice Adrian Healey, their styles couldn’t be more different.

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-...w-play-by-play-voice-for-major-league-soccer/

Yeah ... not looking forward to that pairing. God, but I still miss the days when Arlo did MLS games.

I like Champion. He’s not Arlo or Martin Tyler or Sir Ian but he’s pretty good.

I like him better than I used to, but I don't think he's going to jell with the stupidly aggressive Twellman. Also, I think it takes awhile to get used to the fact that his tone of voice doesn't really indicate disinterest and/or disgust. Either that or Monty Python simply trained me from a young age to distrust BBC announcers with his style of delivery.

OK ... news catchup time.

RIP Sigi Schmid.
The long time coach of the men's team at UCLA and both the LA Galaxy and the Seattle Sounders passed away on 12/27 while awaiting a transplant due to heart problems. National Soccer Hall of Fame, UCLA Athletics Hall of Fame, coach of the year awards in both the NCAA and MLS, 5 time US Open Cup winner, 3 time MLS Supporters Shield winner, 2 time MLS Cup winner, one time CONCACAF Champions Cup winner ... holy cow, but Sigi had a career. Perhaps the most influential coach of his era, but certainly up there with Bob Bradley and Bruce Arena as the most important coaches in MLS history. US soccer will be forever in his debt.

Atlanta United hire Frank DeBoer to replace Tata.
So, Atlanta shifted gears and went to Western Europe for a new coach to follow their decidedly South American coach. Not sure how that will play out with their roster, but DeBoer is an old pro and of a much higher calibre than your average MLS hire. After a long-ish spell in charge at Ajax, where he notched over 300 games as a player, he's bounced around with short stints at Inter and Crystal Palace. DeBoer is only 48 and will all but certainly be looking to rehab his image in the managing fraternity in hopes of eventually returning to Europe. But, Atlanta United can use that ambition to their advantage as they have ambitions of their own. Tata is a hard act to follow, after all, but they certainly don't seem willing to coast.

Salford City FC have a new minority partner. David Beckham has joined fellow Class of ‘92 alumni Phil and Gary Neville, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and Ryan Giggs in the ownership group. They own 10% each, Singaporean businessman Peter Lim owns the other 40%. Lim also owns Valencia in La Liga.

Salford City play in the National League, the 5th tier on the pyramid after gaining promotion as champions of National League North. They sit 3rd, 1 point from automatic promotion to League 2 but comfortably in the playoffs. If they are promoted, it would be their first time in the Football League.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And just for the record, authorities have called off the search for missing forward Emiliano Sala and his pilot off of Guernsey. After 4 days, they are presumed dead. Oh and the Premiere League told Cardiff City that they will not be given any emergency extension to make additional transfers or loans.

Back