• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hockey Media & Business Thread

Re: Thank God for RDS. TSN schedule once again loaded with Leafs games

The Leafs get HUGE ratings regardless of whether they make the playoffs or not. That's all networks care about. Their 30 second advertising rates are based on ratings, not NHL standings.

You're letting your hatred of the Leafs make you miss this very important point.

And you're delusional if you believe that the Habs don't also get huge ratings no matter what their won-loss record indicates. The difference is that the suits at the networks apply the Habs' on-ice performance when they're looking for an excuse not to show them while never taking into account the fact that the Leafs have been pretty much unwatchable for anyone other than dyed in the wool Leaf-lovers since the lockout ended. If we concede the fact that both these teams have huge coast-to-coast followings who will watch even if they're playing badly, why does only one of them get punished by the networks when it doesn't win enough?

Reminds me a little of the Paul Romanuk story where he was pushed into the #1 spot for TSN when Jim Hughson left the network. Romanuk was never really any good, he got better over time but still had a bit of an annoying voice. I think he left for greener pastures but last I heard he wasn't exactly doing much and I guess TSN wasn't interested in getting him back.

Romanuk was enticed to join TSN's first venture into sports radio in the early part of the decade at Team 1050. When the suits didn't figure it was working in Toronto, they pulled the plug on it and Romanuk and Jim Van Horne were pretty much out of a job. At the meeting where the suits told the guys it wasn't working, Romanuk apparently had a "Network" moment where he told the suits to go screw themselves.....(this was according to the Truth and Rumours column by William Houston of the Globe and Mail). His wife is a top level corporate executive....she was transferred to England and he moved with her.

And you're delusional if you believe that the Habs don't also get huge ratings no matter what their won-loss record indicates. The difference is that the suits at the networks apply the Habs' on-ice performance when they're looking for an excuse not to show them while never taking into account the fact that the Leafs have been pretty much unwatchable for anyone other than dyed in the wool Leaf-lovers since the lockout ended. If we concede the fact that both these teams have huge coast-to-coast followings who will watch even if they're playing badly, why does only one of them get punished by the networks when it doesn't win enough?

And again, the habs have 16 games on the TSN schedule. The leafs have 17. Are you really this upset over 1 game difference?

Ha... I remembered tha part about Van Horne and Romanuk bolting to the radio gig and it flopped. Van Horne was a biggie on TSN back in the day so he rolled the dice with that move and I guess when it failed TSN didn't want him back, probably because his salary was too high for what he did, which was just host the 6:30pm Sportscentre show.

Gord Miller had stepped into replace Romanuk on the play-by-play call and sounded much better IMO that Romanuk. Miller was the anchor host on the Hockey Tonight panel so when he left for the booth that brought us James Duthie who I think is outstanding at that task and at hosting dutes on the Olympics coverage.

Ha... I remembered tha part about Van Horne and Romanuk bolting to the radio gig and it flopped. Van Horne was a biggie on TSN back in the day so he rolled the dice with that move and I guess when it failed TSN didn't want him back, probably because his salary was too high for what he did, which was just host the 6:30pm Sportscentre show.

Gord Miller had stepped into replace Romanuk on the play-by-play call and sounded much better IMO that Romanuk. Miller was the anchor host on the Hockey Tonight panel so when he left for the booth that brought us James Duthie who I think is outstanding at that task and at hosting dutes on the Olympics coverage.

Van Horne did get an insane amount of money to move to radio. And he got his entire salary despite only working a short period of time.

1 game difference. 1. The Habs had more last season.

WTF are you so upset about?

And the Habs are not as important as the Leafs to one network, since a massive chunk of their fans won't watch English television.
The Habs get the impressive audience number when you combine two networks. Advertisers don't care about that. The Leafs are the big English draw.

Last edited:

If the Leafs do have a good season and have any sort of playoff run they will make any network a ton of ****ing cheese...no doubt about that.

I think JB is the Leaf defence minister

Lol, I feel left out, in a weird and twisted way, on account of I've mentioned the same thing twice in this thread :p

Does the entire forum have me on ignore?

I guess the I-Desk on HNIC is toast. Jeff Marek left HNIC for Sportnet in July and recently Scott Morrison has also left HNIC for Sportsnet. A little strange considering that Sportsnet doesn't have much national NHL coverage... they also added the likes of Stephen Brunt and Damian Cox earlier in the year although as I mentioned in this thread a couple of weeks ago, Sportsnet fired play-by-play guy, Peter Loubardias, this summer.

We all know that Rogers Sportsnet has truck loads of money. Wasn't long ago they also lured away Executive Director of CBC Sports and HNIC, Scott Moore, to Sportsnet.

....and Sportsnet STILL sucks.

Yep... but they do have some talent there now so maybe they have changed course after getting a new President last year and telling their on-air employees to start wearing ties and jackets.

I thought Marek was the heir-apparent to Ron MacLean even though he started to sound like a weasel in the playoffs when he was on the many radio shows he does... I guess MacLean still has a long way to go with HNIC though.

I've always liked Stephen Brunt but he was already doing the Prime Time Sports radio show with Bob McCown and I think Sportsnet owns that so I guess it wasn't hard to get Brunt on to the Sportsnet hockey crew.

Anyone heard any news on Michael Farber since he took a leave of absence from SI?

Mods maybe consider changing this thread title to the "Hockey Media thread" or TSN/CBC/Sportsnet/RDS/CTV/ESPN/Versus, etc ... or something in-line with that now that the thread has changed directions?

Hockey Media Thread

Done. I just went with "Hockey Media Thread" since there would be no doubt someone would bring up sports magazines if I went with only the channels. :lol

Re: Hockey Media Thread

would not doubt if sportsnet/ctv took HNIC away from CBC whenever that deal is up

People have said that for years, CBC will NOT give up that coverage without someone blowing a hole in Ron MacLean's nuts.

No one covers hockey better than CBC even when it was more Leaf centric a few years ago.

As for hockey media, I have a simple rule of thumb. If the media member licks Hab ass, then I like him. If he is hypercritical like Baldy or Fisher, I hate him.

Olympics were a blow for sure but already CTV wants out of them. They paid a ton because they were in BC.

CFL, yeah like CBC cared about that second tier league.

Thanks Burg.

No doubt the CBC wants the Olympics back and are now teaming up with Bell to put in a bid. I think CTV will let them go simply because the 2010 games were a peak for Canada and I doubt we do as well in Russia in 2014 and we never do well in the summer games, so while Rio in 2016 will be fun there won't be much to look forward to for Canadian athletes and viewers.

Back