• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Vacations

Yeah I know.. my inlaws are staying there on points, because otherwise it is like 3000 Eur a night. hellllsss no to that.

Cannot find a good spot to post this on the habs board but maybe some of you folks know (or HP can direct me to a spot on the habs board).

Heading to Montreal this weekend. Going to see Habs vs Ruins on Saturday. Will stay until Tuesday.

Thoughts on things to do?

Food, music, events?

Chez Paree is always good. You can send Daisy shopping.

Bell Centre gift store will have plenty for you to buy.

What hotel are you staying at?

I'm doing the European cruise next July with the extended family and staying a bit longer in Barcelona on the back end of the cruise. I have family near there but I want to stay by ourselves with my family. Anyone here do the apartment/hotel thing that they have a tonne of. Looking at the MH chain.( There are like 6 buildings throughout the city.) wondering which one.
Don't think I want to do airbnb as we'll be getting off the cruise and I want to go somewhere known. Any tips?
I've been to barca before but stayed with friends and without kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stayed at the Rivoli Ramblas right on Las Ramblas, it was great. The cruise ships are about a 15Euro cab ride away. They all know the hotel which is nice.

We are taking a river cruise in Northern Italy next July. We did the Danube and Prague/Nuremberg two years ago and loved it. Best part, I get my own room as the three of us cannot fit in one room. We start in Milan and end up in Venice.

We might go to Switzerland after.

Cannot find a good spot to post this on the habs board but maybe some of you folks know (or HP can direct me to a spot on the habs board).

Heading to Montreal this weekend. Going to see Habs vs Ruins on Saturday. Will stay until Tuesday.

Food, music, events?

I would have just started a thread on the Habs board.

Don't think anybody goes to the OT board

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think it's fair game to start a specific thread like that on the board. Then maybe later it gets moved to the off topic board. It's just the ongoing threads that were posted in the off topic forum.

Food, music, events?

go eat a smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz'

and maybe buy several pounds to take home with you too

Has anyone been to Honduras recently? Planning a dive trip there late March/early April (whale shark season). Will likely be based out of Utila, but would be eager to here about other destinations/attractions.

Yeah I know.. my inlaws are staying there on points, because otherwise it is like 3000 Eur a night. hellllsss no to that.

The best secret that few know about? Credit card churning. I had a vacation in Japan that would have run me $20,000. It cost me about $3500 between two people. Free flight, free hotels (including a five night stay at the Ritz Carlton that usually goes for like $700 a night). Not to mention I've sold about $12,000 worth of points in the last two years and have a buildup of about $2000 worth of hotel points on the backburner.

Long story short. This is a very worthwhile hobby that takes very little of your time.

They are slowly starting to crack down on it so I've been on overdrive lately, trying to get as much as I can before they completely **** shit up.

In the two years I've been doing it I've probably net about $40,000 in cash (from selling the points) and rewards (hotels, flights etc).

I'm gonna be heading over to Czech and Hungary area for a ~ 12-14 days trip. Wondering if I should do Budapest and Prague, or also do Vienna (which is along the way) ... do I have enough days to tour 3 cities (and some towns nearby) or should I keep it to 2?

I'm gonna be heading over to Czech and Hungary area for a ~ 12-14 days trip. Wondering if I should do Budapest and Prague, or also do Vienna (which is along the way) ... do I have enough days to tour 3 cities (and some towns nearby) or should I keep it to 2?

This summer I did Budapest/Vienna/Prague in about 9 days (3 each), and it was slightly rushing through. But if you have 12-14, you should easily be able to get all 3 in, as well as some smaller stops. I've also heard good things about Bratislava, so I'd definitely think about adding a day there on the trip if you can (I didn't make it out there).

I personally wasn't as much of a fan of Vienna as the other 2, but it's definitely worth doing, and about half the people I ran into on the trip liked it better than Budapest (seemed like everyone was doing that same tour). You don't have to spend long - a few people I met were staying in Bratislava because it was cheaper than Vienna, and then you just go into Vienna for a day trip. Depends a lot on how in depth you want to see each place, and whether you're going to take a half day boat ride in one city, etc...

oh cool ... didn't think about Bratislava. I know Vienna is by far the most expensive city of the 3 and I also think there will be plenty to see in Budapest and Prague, so I can probably make the Vienna stop shorter.

How did you commute from city to city? Did you drive or took train / plane?

I also find there's almost no direct flight to Budapest / Prague, so I most likely have to transit through Amsterdam or Lisbon. I may spend a day in Amsterdam (took a trip to Lisbon with wife just 2 years ago, but she's never been to Amsterdam) and that makes my trip in other 3 cities even shorter.

oh cool ... didn't think about Bratislava. I know Vienna is by far the most expensive city of the 3 and I also think there will be plenty to see in Budapest and Prague, so I can probably make the Vienna stop shorter.

How did you commute from city to city? Did you drive or took train / plane?

I also find there's almost no direct flight to Budapest / Prague, so I most likely have to transit through Amsterdam or Lisbon. I may spend a day in Amsterdam (took a trip to Lisbon with wife just 2 years ago, but she's never been to Amsterdam) and that makes my trip in other 3 cities even shorter.

I flew to Prague through Montreal (although I also stopped off in Germany, so my flights were TO-MTL-PRA-HAM-BUD, then return PRA-MTL-TO). Between the cities, I just took the train. I think it was only about 4 hours from Budapest to Vienna, and maybe 5 or 6 to Prague. Vienna is the most expensive of them, as mentioned, that's why some people liked staying in Bratislava and just go in for the day. I think it's only like a 45 minute commuter train between them. Although obviously doing it that way might not work as well if you actually want to go to evening events in Vienna. I was in hostels, and am more used to Western European pricing, so I definitely wouldn't say that Vienna was expensive, but compared to the other 2...

And I guess since people are chatting about vacations, I have around 12 days off at the start of April, starting from Hamburg, and the only caveat to be back in London at the end. If anyone has any nice sweet spots in Europe that would go well at that time of year, let me know.

Back