• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

NFL salary cap is $177 million. So they have a lot of money left over for things such as travel, medical , etc. and they still make a good profit just from the TV cash.

so far only the Rangers fired their coach right? That's a low number but maybe teams that lose in round 1 might ax their coach.

Maybe so ... it's been a weird year for under-performing teams sticking by their GMs and coaches. Chicago, Vancouver, Ottawa ... all were expected to make some changes. None did. Less surprising that Detroit stuck with Ken Holland since he would have gotten another job in like 5 minutes.

Although you can tell by the year end pressers that Guy Boucher in Ottawa is still on pretty thin ice.

Hornets hired a new GM this week, Mitch Kupchak, and he axed the coach today. The coach made playoffs 2 times in 5 years . ('13 and '16) Lost in 1st round both years. I assume when the GM was hired he was told he could find a new coach.

Hornets hired a new GM this week, Mitch Kupchak, and he axed the coach today. The coach made playoffs 2 times in 5 years . ('13 and '16) Lost in 1st round both years. I assume when the GM was hired he was told he could find a new coach.

I mean yeah. You don't hire the former long term GM of the Lakers and tell him he's stuck with a coach. That said ... Clifford isn't and wasn't the problem in Charlotte. The poor guy has never had a roster you could win with in that league. At least Jordan finally woke up and hired a proper, experienced GM.

Think that's where we're headed here? A guy with more than a decade of GM experience under his belt?

I mean yeah. You don't hire the former long term GM of the Lakers and tell him he's stuck with a coach. That said ... Clifford isn't and wasn't the problem in Charlotte. The poor guy has never had a roster you could win with in that league. At least Jordan finally woke up and hired a proper, experienced GM.

Think that's where we're headed here? A guy with more than a decade of GM experience under his belt?

Jordan is the perfect example of hands on ownership....gone wrong. Just because he is the greatest player ever, or at least one of them, doesn't mean he is any better at making personnel decisions than a random guy off the street....just google Kwame Brown or look at his history as GM/Owner. It is bad.

Hands on ownership can go pretty well (Mark Cuban, Mario Lemieux) or can fall apart (James Dolan, John Spano, Jerry Jones) and having experience in the sport usually isn't a huge factor as it becomes more about management style and understanding your limits. The biggest question mark with Dundon is does he understand his limits? Could go either way at this point and this summer will be very telling.

Jordan is the perfect example of hands on ownership....gone wrong. Just because he is the greatest player ever, or at least one of them, doesn't mean he is any better at making personnel decisions than a random guy off the street....just google Kwame Brown or look at his history as GM/Owner. It is bad.

Hands on ownership can go pretty well (Mark Cuban, Mario Lemieux) or can fall apart (James Dolan, John Spano, Jerry Jones) and having experience in the sport usually isn't a huge factor as it becomes more about management style and understanding your limits. The biggest question mark with Dundon is does he understand his limits? Could go either way at this point and this summer will be very telling.

Jerry Jones was a fantastic owner until something resembling senility set in, around the time that he made Wade Phillips head coach, who will always be my favorite because he could be counted on doing just enough to keep his job without winning anything significant.

Jerry Jones was a fantastic owner until something resembling senility set in, around the time that he made Wade Phillips head coach, who will always be my favorite because he could be counted on doing just enough to keep his job without winning anything significant.

Jerry Jones only fantastic move as owner was hiring Jimmy Johnson as coach and player personnel. His ego then managed to chase Jimmy Johnson away and they won one more super bowl with Johnson's players and an idiot head coach in Switzer. Since then it has been ALL Jerry Jones in charge and they have 2 playoff wins to show for the last 20 years. I consider Jones a train wreck as an owner, both on and off the field.

Ilya Kovalchuk turned 35 today and is off the retired list and an unrestricted free agent. He was a point per game player in thr NHL and has been for the last 5 years in Russia. Do you think anyone will sign him?

he could probably get a one year deal somewhere to prove he still can play in the NHL. I guess the issue is what money does he want vs. what he will be offered.

The NYR management decided to throw in the towel for the season with a commitment toward getting younger and faster. The potential signing of Kovulchuk is one that contradicts the NYR's decision to scuttle Grabner, Nash, McDonough, etc.. at the deadline. Are the blueshirts that desperate for "names" versus actual rebuild??

Ilya Kovalchuk turned 35 today and is off the retired list and an unrestricted free agent. He was a point per game player in thr NHL and has been for the last 5 years in Russia. Do you think anyone will sign him?

Considering somebody signed Jagr to contracts each of the last two years, yeah. I'm certain somebody will.

Back