• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

HNIM

Two comments on today's matches:

1. The BR announcers were two guys describing a curling match played at a wake. I switched to the Spanish language broadcast just to make it watchable.

2. Not only we're both decided in extra time on VAR penalties, but for those paying close attention, the penalty kicks were almost identically placed.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Two comments on today's matches:

1. The BR announcers were two guys describing a curling match played at a wake. I switched to the Spanish language broadcast just to make it watchable.

2. Not only we're both decided in extra time on VAR penalties, but for those paying close attention, the penalty kicks were almost identically placed.

The BR guys were ok in the group stage. I like Kate Abdo in the studio but Steve Nash? Please. I listened to the radio broadcast of the PSG-Man U match on the FotMob app, since I can’t find a legit stream that isn’t geo-blocked. Whether they were at the stadium or in a studio somewhere, they had enough enthusiasm for the TV broadcast.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Quarterfinal draws for the Champions League and Europa League

Champions League:

Ajax v. Juventus
Spurs v. Man City
Liverpool v. Porto
Man U v. Barcelona

The Manchester clubs are on opposite sides of the draw, so no semifinal derby. But Liverpool and Man U could meet in the semis. The first legs are April 9/10, 2nd leg the week after. The Spurs/City match could be the opener for Spurs new stadium.

In the Europa League, Arsenal drew Napoli and Chelsea drew Slavia Prague. They’re on opposite sides of the draw so they could meet in the final. The first leg is April 11, 2nd leg is April 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Champions League semifinals are set.

Ajax over Juventus, 3-2 on aggregate.
Liverpool over Porto, 6-1 on aggregate.
Barcelona over Man U, 4-0 on aggregate.
Spurs over Man City, 4-4 on aggregate, Spurs advance on always goals.

Ajax make their first semifinal since 1997. Liverpool are back for the 2nd year in a row. Barca are back for the first time since 2015. Spurs are in the semifinals for the first time since 1962. The Spurs/City match was wild. City led 3-2 after 21 minutes. Aguero put them ahead on aggregate at the 59th minute. And then VAR happened. Llorente put in a corner for Spurs, upheld by VAR after the ball appeared to glance off his elbow, which was tucked against his side. At 90+3, Eriksen turned the ball over deep in Spurs territory, it came to Aguero who nodded it down and crossed to Sterling for the winner. But VAR ruled Aguero was offside and the goal was chalked off.

The semifinals, first legs April 30/May 1, 2nd leg the following week.

Spurs v. Ajax
Barca v. Liverpool

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I had that Spurs/City match on "in the background" while I worked yesterday. BIG mistake. I got nothing done while that game was going on. You couldn't take your eyes off of the screen. The EPL should look into banning defense entirely, as it's WAY more fun to watch :0)

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I had that Spurs/City match on "in the background" while I worked yesterday. BIG mistake. I got nothing done while that game was going on. You couldn't take your eyes off of the screen. The EPL should look into banning defense entirely, as it's WAY more fun to watch :0)

I couldn’t find a radio feed so I had the live TV feed on my phone with it turned upside down on my desk. Didn’t work too well.

Arsenal and Chelsea advance to the Europa League semifinals. Arsenal face Valencia and Chelsea face Frankfurt.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Liverpool punches its ticket to the final, overcoming a 3–0 deficit to beat Barcelona 4-0 at Anfield.

I was watching the first half with a friend at the bar, she wanted us to leave after the first half, because we did have things we needed to do and with the score being 1-0 and Liverpool needing a plus three margin in the second half seeming unlikely, I went along with it. Later in the day when I checked the score, she apologized and said we should have stayed. Excited to watch the second half soon.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Ajax blows a 2-0 game lead and 3-0 aggregate and gives up a 2nd half hat trick to Lucas Moura, the last at 90+6, and Spurs advance to the first all-England final since 2008 on away goals.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Europe is all England. Arsenal overcomes some typically nervy periods and advances to the Europa League Final, 7-3 on aggregate. Chelsea has to go to penalties with the aggregate tied at 2 and each team recording an away goal. They advance 4-3 on penalties.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Cleaning up Europa League results ... Chelsea whomped Arsenal 4-1 in the final. That sends Eden Hazard off with a bang and welcomes in Chelsea's transfer ban. Oh, and there's reports that they're willing to let Sarri go back to Italy to manage Juve if he wants. Sure. Club Chaos has to do something for attention.

Spurs and Liverpool go today at 3:00 eastern in the US for the big boy trophy.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Liverpool take the hardware 2-0 but that game was fairly awful. Sorry, local Spurs fans, but ugh. Tough to watch that one.

Yeah, I found myself being distracted by other things for most of it. I missed the first minute of the game cause I was finishing cooking some food and came back to my living room to see Liverpool lining up for a penalty. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the penalty. It definitely hit his arm and his arm was away from his body, but he was trying to signal his team I guess and the liverpool player clearly deliberately kicked it up straight at his arm. It's a penalty, but it definitely also feels bad. The worse one of those I've ever seen was a few years back when a defender slid to try to block a shot, but the attacking player held the ball back and when the defender put his arm down to help himself get back to his feet, the attacker kicked it directly at his arm that was planted on the ground to try to get back to his feet. That one definitely shouldn't have been a penalty no matter what the rules state, this one was more in the grey area.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah, I wasn’t in love with it but I could see why it was called. It’s just such a big stage for that kind of gray area call, but ... it’s not like Spurs didn’t have all freaking game to get one of their own. But they did pretty much both jack and squat.