• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Hurricanes Prospects and Checkers Thread

CanadaCanes

McKeown has an opportunity to not only try and get a few games with the Canes with a good camp with TVR perhaps sidelined at the start of the season, but he also has the chance to be a lead dog in Charlotte with Carrick gone and help anchor a top pairing.

I have Bean as the best defense prospect in Charlotte followed by McKeown for now, I guess guys like Priskie and Sellgren could pass him on the depth chart soon, so this is the year that McKeown really needs to show more and stand out.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I'd like to see Sellgren stick it out in Charlotte if he doesn't make the Canes roster out of camp ... and chances are, he won't. He's got some real quality in his game as a cool under pressure puck handler who passes at a higher level than most of the Charlotte D group. Apparently he's got the option to go back to Sweden if he doesn't make the big club, but it IS an option. He's the kind of guy who could really take a big step in the maturity of his game if he'd stick it out in North America, even if it's in the minors.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
On Sellgren, I didn’t think it was an option, it was mandatory that he go back to Sweden if he didn’t make the Canes. It would be a shame if he did have to go back, he impressed everyone who saw him in the playoffs for the Checkers.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
On Sellgren, I didn’t think it was an option, it was mandatory that he go back to Sweden if he didn’t make the Canes. It would be a shame if he did have to go back, he impressed everyone who saw him in the playoffs for the Checkers.
Just passing along something I saw online. I don't think anybody really seems to have a handle on his contract situation. I don't see any way he makes the Canes roster, but sending him back to Europe would be a waste of a year he should be spending getting used to the North American game

cmaleski2

Just to get everyone excited about hockey:

Pyotr Kochetkov G (2nd round 2019 KHL SKA St. Petersburg) 2-0-0 1.97 GAA .913 SV%

Kirill Slepets played for Loko Yaroslavl (Russia) in the Junior Club World Cup tournament (which Loko Yaroslavl won). He had a 1 goal and 2 assists in 4 games. That tourney ended last week.

Tuukka Tieksola also played in the JCWC tournament for Finland. He had 4 goals and 7 assists in 5 games. He was the leading scorer for the tournament (by 3 points). Finland finished with the Bronze.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I’ve seen that there is still some question about where Kotchekov will play. He’s nominally the 3rd goalie at SKA, so he could end up back on the junior team.

cmaleski2

Kotchekov has 2 wins in 2 games for SKA, they haven't played any other goalie so far. From what I can see in the box scores, Alexei Melnichuk has been the backup so far. He is 21 and has just 2 games of KHL experience (2 seasons ago).

SKA also has rights to Pavel Davydyuk (19 years old, looks like he is currently assigned to their MHL team), Ivan Nalimov (25, he only played 18 games last season), and Magnus Hellberg (28 years old, he was EXCEPTIONAL for SKA last season, 1.32 GAA .940 SV% in 34 games).

Not sure what is going there but those were 2 regular season games for SKA and Kochetkov started both of them.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I’ve seen that there is still some question about where Kotchekov will play. He’s nominally the 3rd goalie at SKA, so he could end up back on the junior team.
I'm hoping they either keep him up or loan him to a lesser club so he can play in the big boy league. I don't give a crap how SKA do ... I just want that kid to get playing time against the best opposition possible.

It's almost funny how mercenary NHL fans are about their team's prospects. "Just play the kid we're interested in developing, results be damned."

Elsker

I've seen some "here's what happened this period" summaries of some of Kotchekov's games from posters on another fan board that are watching live.

SKA is a dominating team so he's not seeing much rubber. Sometimes only three or four shots all period. Looking ahead, that's good experience for a team like ours that might also be seeking to limit shots on goal.

But that also makes his numbers look even better since a low-shot game can produce horrendous stats even if you are playing well.

Saves have been described as we have heard his skill package described. Big goalie that plays athletically with a positionally sound game. Stoned some breakaways. Made some really nice second-chance saves. He's been solid for them.

EDIT: And just like that I see from today's summaries that he didn't look so good earlier today. But supposedly the entire team looked tired for this back-end of a back-to-back schedule for them (which means he also played the previous day. Lots of 2-on-1's and PP's for today's game per those watching.

Last edited:

cmaleski2

Canes 'prospects' were smoked 10-3 by Washingron today. We only have 9 kids that are our property playing in this tournament so its alot of invitees for us.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Worth noting that the approach to this development tournament is entirely different from the Traverse City tourney that the Canes were in for years and years. The games are played at a practice rink and it's pretty much entirely an evaluation exercise. Plus, with so many invitees, it's really not about winning so much as it is about seeing guys do things live against the same of similar level players from other clubs. Bottom line ... I saw people freaking out online about that that Washington result and then beating their chests over the Tampa result ... don't do that.

Elsker

I watched the Washington scrimmage game, but missed the Tampa game. Intensity is not high, but it is at least more like a live ammunition drill instead of an intrasquad scrimmage or practice. And very much a practice facility setting.

And unlike the Traverse City tourney, no one is declared a tournament winner. There are simply three games played in round-robin fashion over four days against the other three teams in attendance at this four-team event. Helps the players and the coaches to have a feel as to what it is all about.

Only nine or so of the players there are actually in our system and those players are doing fairly well individually. Both Suzuki and Rees were doing Suzuki and Rees things, particularly in the Tampa game where they were on separate lines and could drive the line. And Bean and Priskie are dazzling onlookers with their skating and skills. With so many invitees, those that can skate are really catching the eye.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Sellgren is also racking up numbers. Those guys with actual AHL experience SHOULD be standing out in this setting, but it's nice to see Suzuki, Rees and Priskie do good things. Honestly, the way the organizational depth shakes out, the Canes need those three to come good. A reliable do-everything D and two proper centers? Absolutely areas of need in 1-3 years, depending on the player.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Kochetkov started for SKA in their home opener today. Maybe he’s going to stick with them instead of the lower level club.

cmaleski2

Apparently Magnus Hellberg is currently hurt (per Conway Russian Hockey Blog, link offered below). The plan was for Hellberg to be the starter and Kochetkov the primary backup, but for now the kid is getting all of the starts. They do still have Ivan Nalimov and Alexei Melnichuk as well, but Kochetkov is the current #2, playing because the #1 is injured.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Cool. I'm happy with Kochetkov being their No. 2 going forward ... and getting playing time now, as well. That's a good place to be development-wise. Goalies face a bunch of rubber in the K, too ... which is good for maturity growth.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Former Canes draft pick Brendan DeJong, who was not signed at the end of his junior career in June has signed with the Wichita Thunder if the ECHL. They’re affiliated with Edmonton.

cmaleski2

Canes draft picks and prospects Through 9/15 *** Means their season has yet to start
=======================================

Ryan Suzuki C (1st round 2019 OHL Barrie) ***

Jamieson Rees C (2nd round 2019 OHL Sarnia) ***

Patrik Puistola F (3rd round 2019 Liiga Tappara): 2 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists Even

Anttoni Honka RHD (3rd round 2019 Liiga JYP): 2 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists +3

Domenick Fensore LHD (3rd round 2019 Hockey East Boston U. Fr.): ***

Cade Webber LHD (4th round 2019 BCHL Penticton): 4 Games 1 Goal 0 Assists Even

Tuukka Tieksola RW (4th round 2019 Liiga Karpat): 2 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists +1

Kirill Slepets W (5th round 2019 VHL Voronezh): 5 Games 2 Goals 3 Assists +4

Kevin Wall RW (6th round 2019 Big 10 Penn St. Fr.): ***

Blake Murray C (7th round 2019 OHL Sudbury): ***

Massimo Rizzo C (7th round 2019 BCHL Coquitlam): Has not played yet

Jack Drury C (2nd round 2018 ECAC Harvard So.): ***

Luke Henman C (4th round 2018 QMJHL Blainville-Boisbriand): ***

Lenni Killinen RW (4th round 2018 Liiga Assat): 1 Game 0 Goals 0 Assists Even

Luke Martin RHD (2nd round 2017 Big 10 Michigan Sr.): ***

Ville Rasanen LHD (7th round 2017 Slovakia HC Banska Bystrica): Has not played yet

Matt Filipe LW (3rd round 2016 Hockey East Northeastern Sr.): ***

Max Zimmer LW (4th round 2016 Big 10 Wisconsin Sr.): ***

Luke Stevens LW (5th round 2015 ECAC Yale Sr.): ***

David Cotton C (6th round 2015 Hockey East Boston College Sr.): ***

Pyotr Kochetkov G (2nd round 2019 KHL SKA St. Petersburg) 3-2-0 2.41 GAA .896 Sv%

Jacob Kucharski G (7th round 2018 Hockey East Providence Fr.): ***

Eetu Makiniemi G (4th round 2017 Jr. A SM-Liiga U20-Ilves): 1 Game 3.00 GAA .897 Sv%

Jack LaFontaine G (3rd round 2016 Big 10 Minnesota Jr.): ***

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Checkers sign forward Dave Gust to an AHL contract. He played the last 2 years with Bakersfield, dicing 31 goals in 112 games. He played 4 years at Ohio St. and was a freshman in Dzingel’s last year there.