• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Habs waive Kinkaid, call up Primeau to backup Carey Price.
Kinkaid was fairly terrible for them, so they may as well give the kid some looks. I honestly think Montreal is putting too much stress on their goalies this season, and Price's numbers aren't great either. That said, Kinkaid was barfing up a whole goal more per game and his save percentage was .875 ... which is quantifiably bad regardless of circumstances.

And yes, Canes fans ... Cayden Primeau IS Keith's son. Only you can decide whether or not that makes you dislike the kid straight out of the box. Either way he's a very good prospect ... maybe the second best regarded goalie prospect after Spencer Knight.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has imposed a 4 year ban on Russia using its flag, team names and anthem at events that are subject to WADA testing. Other than the Olympics, there is no clarity yet on which competitions this affects. They will be allowed to compete in the 2020 European soccer championships, as WADA doesn’t consider that a major event. However, I imagine that they’ll be excluded from the Ice Hockey World Championships.

Individual athletes will be allowed to participate in the Olympics under the Olympic Flag, as long as they haven’t been implicated in the scandal, a model followed at the 2018 Winter Olympics, where they competed as “Olympic Athletes from Russia”. The unaffiliated Russians won the gold medal in mens’a hockey. On Sunday, 9 of the 17 members of the WADA athlete committee said that all Russian athletes should be banned Freon the Olympics. Their stamxe has some merit; despite similar sanctions at the 2018 Winter Olympics, the systematic abuse of the system continued.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I'll bet that ban will be heavily modified by the time the Court of Arbitration gets done with it. And do you find it weird that UEFA tournaments aren't considered "major events" like World Cups are? That makes zero sense. It's not a freaking CONCACAF tournament.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
For the record, I'm completely opposed to the use of freon by Olympic athletes. If kids follow that trend, they'll damage their stamxes!
I’m not sure I’ve mentioned how much I hate my iPhone after the last few software updates. The keyboard on my 7+ is increasingly sensitive to fat fingers.

HeyKurtz

I’m not sure I’ve mentioned how much I hate my iPhone after the last few software updates. The keyboard on my 7+ is increasingly sensitive to fat fingers.
Install SwiftKey...it's the best app for typing on your iPhone by swiping instead of clicking individual keys. I've been using it for years and it works flawlessly.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
SEVEN? Time to upgrade, you cheapskate :0)
A Scotsman calling anyone a cheapskate? Hello irony. 😉

I have to upgrade my wife’s phone first. She has a 6s which will be end of support shortly. My daughter just upgraded from a regular 6 to the 11 Pro for that reason, it wouldn’t load one of the recent software upgrades.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Jim Montgomery was fired as head coach of the Dallas Stars. Included in the statement from GM Jim Nill is this little tidbit.

This decision was made due to unprofessional conduct inconsistent with the core values and beliefs of the Dallas Stars and the National Hockey League."

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Jim Montgomery was fired as head coach of the Dallas Stars. Included in the statement from GM Jim Nill is this little tidbit.

Yeah ... I saw that. To me that's surprising because Montgomery cut his teeth in coaching in college and Universities generally have gone heavy on staff behavioral issues ... in sports other than football and mens basketball at least. Either way, don't the door hit you, Jim.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Yeah ... I saw that. To me that's surprising because Montgomery cut his teeth in coaching in college and Universities generally have gone heavy on staff behavioral issues ... in sports other than football and mens basketball at least. Either way, don't the door hit you, Jim.
I guess they took Bettman at his word yesterday.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
So ... conduct unbecoming, but not related to player relations? Fine. I mean, I don't really care about the details and if they just fired him for being an all purpose creep, that's all good. But I feel like this REALLY caught a lot of people who get paid to follow this stuff closely off guard. Generally the reporter types are right on the spot with some back story, but not so much today.

cmaleski2

Basically the presser announcing the firing gave you nothing to go on beyond:

* Nothing to do with any player past or present
* Nothing to do with any anyone employed by the Dallas Stars
* Nothing criminal
* Whatever 'event' happened to trigger this conduct happened either last Friday or Saturday
* Absolutely nothing to do with new NHL policies

So...yeah. That doesn't leave a lot of possibilities. Did he drunkenly yell at someone? Try to pick up someone at a bar? Did he bet on the NHL? I'm pretty surprised that the media hasn't been able to offer up anything.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Well ... the creepier corners of the internet are not happy with the lack of specificity. They see the lack of details as confirmation that the world just "isn't safe for men anymore." Of course, that's BS, but what else can we expect from these folks. A company is absolutely free to fire a contract employee if he or she violates the standards of behavior set forth in the contract, and are 100% NOT required to give the public any information whatsoever.

Paulie Walnuts

I bet the story leaks out eventually. I would guess he got drunk at a bar or eatery and got into a shouting match or even a fight. Other guess is an affair with the wife of someone who works for the team.

Also Calgary has a deal for a new arena next to the Saddledome with a 35 year lease

Last edited: