• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

CanadaCanes

It was inevitable for Cherry, he has never been PC in a world now where one wrong word can get you fired. Let's be honest, when you are 85 years old and still somehow on the air, the dementia and crazy talk is going to creep in and boom that's it.

"Get off my lawn with that Storm Surge you Russky bastards..."

HurryCanes

like watching a nascar race at talledaga; not a question of IF the big wreck will happen, the question is when. Cherry's mouth was eventually going to get him and Rogers in trouble and they played their hand way too long. Good riddance.

Boardwork

Not anywhere on the level, but Tripp's comments about Svech "not being Russian, in a good way" are a bit in that same direction. Vague references to attitude, work ethic, etc...

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Not anywhere on the level, but Tripp's comments about Svech "not being Russian, in a good way" are a bit in that same direction. Vague references to attitude, work ethic, etc...
Yup. I'd hope somebody has a quiet word with Tripp about that one. I know this franchise's history with Russian players informs his point of view, and I can't say as I really blame him a lot for having a little bit of that ... but there is a line with that stuff. Unless you're willing to imply that all Russian players lack a work ethic ... and frankly, that would be stupid and ill informed.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
It was inevitable for Cherry, he has never been PC in a world now where one wrong word can get you fired. Let's be honest, when you are 85 years old and still somehow on the air, the dementia and crazy talk is going to creep in and boom that's it.

"Get off my lawn with that Storm Surge you Russky bastards..."
Here's the thing ... this recent mess simply isn't Cherry's fault. Don't get me wrong ... he deserved to be let go, but it should have been done years ago when he started losing touch with the modern era and not now when he was fully adrift at sea on a boat built of 1950s era bullcrap points of view about race and manliness and sports and whatever else. The guy has been screaming for someone to fire him for over a decade and yet the HNiC producers keep pandering to the segment of their audience who adores his brand of garbage. Cherry kept saying yes to new contracts, but he didn't have a gun to anyone's head. It would have been far more kind to the old coot if they had let him go way back when it was obvious where the train was heading, but BEFORE it flew off the cliff.

dwind

His opinions aside, he was worthy of being fired for crimes against good taste.
It‘s a lot more than just fabricland that will be hurting. How about the fabric makers, silkworm workers, truck and dog sled operators? and All the people that support them. This could be devastating for Canada.

StormChaserBH

Yup. I'd hope somebody has a quiet word with Tripp about that one. I know this franchise's history with Russian players informs his point of view, and I can't say as I really blame him a lot for having a little bit of that ... but there is a line with that stuff. Unless you're willing to imply that all Russian players lack a work ethic ... and frankly, that would be stupid and ill informed.
Agreed... it's ok to talk about styles of play differences and such, but he needs to be more careful.. I cringed at this latest Tripp-rant a bit more than usual and for different reasons.

CanadaCanes

Here's the thing ... this recent mess simply isn't Cherry's fault. Don't get me wrong ... he deserved to be let go, but it should have been done years ago when he started losing touch with the modern era and not now when he was fully adrift at sea on a boat built of 1950s era bullcrap points of view about race and manliness and sports and whatever else. The guy has been screaming for someone to fire him for over a decade and yet the HNiC producers keep pandering to the segment of their audience who adores his brand of garbage. Cherry kept saying yes to new contracts, but he didn't have a gun to anyone's head. It would have been far more kind to the old coot if they had let him go way back when it was obvious where the train was heading, but BEFORE it flew off the cliff.
That's exactly what should have happened, they should have weaned him off the air several years ago, yesterday was not the way to go out when you have spent that many years in the position, Cherry is as stubborn as they come and I was not at all surprised when he refused to apologize and continues to stand behind his comments. I grew up on Cherry and Coaches Corner and even visited his bars in Ontario several times and watched some of his Grapevine shows in my earlier years. He use to stick more to just the old time hockey stuff back in the day but he became more and more a blowhard with some really bad takes for the better part of the second half of his tenure.

Punzil

Had the Bruins game on in the car tonight when bringing my dog to the vet and heard them score their third and fourth goals to go up 4-0. I get home, deal with some house stuff, hop online and see that the Panthers roared back with four unanswered goals of their own in the third and won in the shootout. The B's have now lost four straight, which sounds familiar, except two of theirs were in OT, so they snagged some loser points in the process.

bagopux

Had the Bruins game on in the car tonight when bringing my dog to the vet and heard them score their third and fourth goals to go up 4-0. I get home, deal with some house stuff, hop online and see that the Panthers roared back with four unanswered goals of their own in the third and won in the shootout. The B's have now lost four straight, which sounds familiar, except two of theirs were in OT, so they snagged some loser points in the process.
Hope the dog is OK.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Bob gave up 4 goals on 16 shots in the 2nd and got pulled. Rask said “hold my beer” and gave up 4 goals on 12 shots in the 3rd. We beat the Panthers as part of the 5-0 start but they come here next Saturday. They’re tied for 4th in the league in goals per game at 3.56. Unfortunately, they’re also allowing 3.56 goals per game, 4th worst in the league.

ThinIce

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Sidney Crosby out a minimum of 6 weeks after having surgery to repair a sports hernia.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
In case anyone was wondering, Crosby has been bothered by that hernia for most of the young season and has somehow managed 5 goals and 12 assists through 17 games anyway. I don't like the guy, but you have to admit he's one hell of a player.