• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 News Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I guess it’s time to get this one started.

Steve Bruce has resigned as manager at Sheffield Wednesday amid reports he’ll be named as manager at Newcastle. He grew up near there and the Magpies were his childhood team. Newcastle are already in China in preparation for a Premier League Asia Trophy match against Wolves.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48989831

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everton have announced plans for a new stadium, built on currently derelict docklands in North Liverpool. The stadium won’t be ready until the 2023-24 season at the earliest and is estimated to cost £500 million. It will seat 52,000, a big increase over Goodison Park’s capacity of 39,571

https://amp.theguardian.com/footbal...il-plans-new-stadium-liverpool-docklands-area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember some loose speculation about that section of docklands being used for a new stadium back when I was in Liverpool 3 years ago ... but that was linked to Liverpool, not Everton. Weird how that ownership has changed things on the blue side of Stanley Park.

That would be a truly awesome location for a stadium, for the record. The arena is down at the other end of the docks and it looks really cool hanging out down by the water. Plus, it's the commercial and tourist district so it won't bother people's homes on match days, unlike the current setup that renders the northern part of town an absolute zoo before and after games.

Bury FC may be removed from the Football League on Friday. They finished 2nd in League 2 last year for the automatic promotion to League 1 but have already been docked 12 points for entering administration. They haven’t played a match yet this season,

The situation isn’t much different at Bolton. They’ve also been docked 12 points and their match yesterday was postponed.

Unless things have changed, Bury only has like 2 players under contract to the senior club. If they're allowed to play it would be with a roster filled up with youth academy players and whoever else they could con into playing for free. They have no cash and apparently no legitimate lines of credit available. Sad ... it's not the most storied of clubs, but they've been in operation since the late 1800s.

Unless things have changed, Bury only has like 2 players under contract to the senior club. If they're allowed to play it would be with a roster filled up with youth academy players and whoever else they could con into playing for free. They have no cash and apparently no legitimate lines of credit available. Sad ... it's not the most storied of clubs, but they've been in operation since the late 1800s.

Bolton is in a similar situation with only 5 full professionals in their last match. They’re one of the 12 founding clubs of the Football League. Bury joined the league in 1894 but haven’t been in the 1st Division since 1929.

Bolton doesn't even have a coaching or training staff right now. Nobody's been paid in months and they postponed a game without letting the FA or the opponent know about it. Calling their situation a train wreck is an insult to train wrecks.

Weird that these two clubs are in such peril at the same time since they are each others' historical rivals ... even though they've rarely been in the same division in recent years.

Bury owner Steve Dale got a last minute takeover bid from London-based C&N Sporting Risk. The EFL will decide if that meets the funding standard.

If the FA give them the postponement on expulsion until next Friday, then Bury will have had 6 games called off by then. With the prospect of more. The only thing keeping them viable is that a demotion won't take them entirely out of Association football. If they can get back to playing games at all this season then they can spend the rest of 2019-20 building towards starting fresh in League 2 next summer.

Stumbled upon an update on Bury ... the FA granted them the extension on that sale, but only gave them until next Tuesday. That's the day after a Bank Holiday so ... yeah. That sale could well fall apart, but I don't blame the FA for being impatient. Bury's scuzzball owner has been stringing them along for a LONG time now.

Stumbled upon an update on Bury ... the FA granted them the extension on that sale, but only gave them until next Tuesday. That's the day after a Bank Holiday so ... yeah. That sale could well fall apart, but I don't blame the FA for being impatient. Bury's scuzzball owner has been stringing them along for a LONG time now.

Maybe instead of a vanity project like Salford City, the class of ‘92 Boys could have saved Bury? Considering the both of the Nevilles’ parents worked for the club, Dad as Commercial Director and Mom as GM and Club Secretary.

Maybe instead of a vanity project like Salford City, the class of ‘92 Boys could have saved Bury? Considering the both of the Nevilles’ parents worked for the club, Dad as Commercial Director and Mom as GM and Club Secretary.
Fair point.

Bolton and Bury both missed their window to provide updated info to the FA. Now, we wait on the FA to take formal action, but it's widely assumed that both clubs will be expelled from the FA.

Clearly Bury got the quicker axe because the FA was tired of being jerked around by their idiot owner. Bolton isn't in much better shape in terms of getting a sale done, but being a bigger club they got more time anyway. Put it this way, 2 weeks isn't long enough to do proper due diligence when purchasing a freaking house, much less a football club ... but whatever.

I’m not sure the league wants to toss one of the founding 12 clubs either, for non-competitive reasons.

I’m not sure the league wants to toss one of the founding 12 clubs either, for non-competitive reasons.
Or, to your next post, maybe Bolton was actually working on a legit offer to purchase ... unlike that idiot in Bury.

Grant Wahl is reporting that the Bundesliga has signed a 6 year deal with ESPN/ESPN+ starting next season. Fox Sports soccer properties are rapidly diminishing, I think they’re left with half of MLS and the World Cups.

Back