• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Free Agency Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Another Cherker gone...McKegg to the Rangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanadaCanes

Another Cherker gone...McKegg to the Rangers.
I think it's awesome that some of these guys are going to get chances at full time NHL gigs! Guys like Brown and McKegg have paid their dues and deserve a one way deal for themselves and their families!

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Anders Lee ending up re-signing with the Isles. 7 years x $7 mil.

Good player but that's a lot of term and a lot of money for a 28 year old.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Presumably Varlamov to the Islanders will be announced eventually.

So the goalie fallout looks like:

Smith to Calgary
Talbot to Edmonton
Bobrovsky to Florida
Lehner to Chicago
Mrazek to Carolina
Columbus decided to roll with Korpisalo

SlapShots

I've always liked Korpisalo and when he's been in net against us, he seems to do well if I recall.

No mention of Cam Ward at all. Not surprised by that, but thought perhaps he might get a backup gig...but at age 35, it's likely time to hang up the skates. If he retires, his lifelong save percentage is .908-- playoffs numbers are better.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Cam was really bad two years in a row. Even in this stupid league people notice that kind of thing

Punzil

Cam was the best goaltender this franchise ever developed. No other goaltender in the Whalers/Hurricanes system has done what Cam did with the Canes.

Unfortunately, there are both positive and negative aspects to those last two statements.

The biggest negative is that it shows how much the franchise has sucked, sucked, sucked at developing goaltenders. I still hold a grudge against JR (or maybe it was partly Jason Karmonos) for splitting the minor league affiliate during much of the 00's because it gave a ton of ice time to goaltenders who weren't Canes drafted. Then after Ward established himself, the backups/#1A free agents that kept supplanting the goalies in the system... Mike Murphy's 2 relief appearances with a 0.00 GAA, 1.000 Save%, and one loss will live in infamy.

Last edited:

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Look. It's not Cam Ward's fault that the Hurricanes historically suck at developing goalies. Heck, that even extends to the pre-Karmanos era. I think all Canes fans value him highly; some too much so. He can retire with his head held high, and probably should do so this summer.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I'm stuck on one thing as I think back on yesterday's goalie market. The Islanders apparently refused to go multi-year term with Lehner. Who more than proved himself last season in their net. Yet they gave Varlamov FOUR years.

Does that make any sense to anyone else? I'm truly confused by this. Varlamov is gonna be 35 at the end of that deal and his form has been all over the place over the last three years. This is the guy you trust enough to give term? Instead of the guy who's actually been there done that in your crease? What am I missing? And I know about Lehner's substance abuse history. I get that being a reason to be cautious, but not to the point where you don't offer the guy a 2 year deal.

CanadaCanes

I'm stuck on one thing as I think back on yesterday's goalie market. The Islanders apparently refused to go multi-year term with Lehner. Who more than proved himself last season in their net. Yet they gave Varlamov FOUR years.

Does that make any sense to anyone else? I'm truly confused by this. Varlamov is gonna be 35 at the end of that deal and his form has been all over the place over the last three years. This is the guy you trust enough to give term? Instead of the guy who's actually been there done that in your crease? What am I missing? And I know about Lehner's substance abuse history. I get that being a reason to be cautious, but not to the point where you don't offer the guy a 2 year deal.
By all accounts, Isles stud goalie prospect Ilya Sorokin is close with Varlamov, so Captain Lou thinks Varly can be the mentor in net to Sorokin as early as a year from now. 4 years sounds long but I guess they think it helps with Sorokin to eventually be the man. That’s the way the Isles beat writers spun the signing.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
By all accounts, Isles stud goalie prospect Ilya Sorokin is close with Varlamov, so Captain Lou thinks Varly can be the mentor in net to Sorokin as early as a year from now. 4 years sounds long but I guess they think it helps with Sorokin to eventually be the man. That’s the way the Isles beat writers spun the signing.
By the time Varlamov’s contract is up Sorokin will be almost 28, he turns 24 next month. Stud? His worst season since moving to CSKA Moscow is 1.61 GAA and .929 Save %.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Right on, Jeff! Except Lehner did sign in Chi for ONE year...
Not the part I'm confused about. I'm confused why they gave 4 to Varlamov ... who is fine, but as noted below part of why Lou talked about a short offer to Lehner was the kind they're grooming. Why sign an expensive free agent for 4 years?

Bottom line ... it's fine. I guess I'm just surprised to see Uncle Lou waste money on slightly above average goaltending.

CanadaCanes

Not the part I'm confused about. I'm confused why they gave 4 to Varlamov ... who is fine, but as noted below part of why Lou talked about a short offer to Lehner was the kind they're grooming. Why sign an expensive free agent for 4 years?

Bottom line ... it's fine. I guess I'm just surprised to see Uncle Lou waste money on slightly above average goaltending.
Two to three years would have been fine for Varlamov, I think Sorokin has a year left in the KHL before coming over, so you could argue that Varly and Greiss next year followed by a year or two with Varly mentoring Sorokin and sharing starts but the extra year or two that Lou gave him does not really make sense when all Lehner wanted was something like a 4 year term!