• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Summer Transfer Window Thread

HNIM

Figured I'd get this going. The PL window is open and we're 10 days away from the major European league windows. With Man U and RM looking at significant overhauls; Juve aging; Chelsea banned from buying; Spurs undistracted from stadium issues and desperate to build depth with the highest profit margin in football; Bale, Hazard, Pogba, and now maybe Mbappe looking to move on, it's setting up to be a pretty fun ride.

Gonna be a crazy summer. Supposedly, Man U offered Pogba the captains band to keep him. And Hazard signed with Borussia Dortmund for €25.5 million. Thorgan, not Eden.

Villa have started their summer moves now that their return to the EPL is settled. They signed Jota from Birmingham City, who is more of a playmaking forward/wing, and have started the process of making Anwar El Ghazi's move from Lille permanent. That would give them two legit wide threats. They are also working to make Tyrone Mings loan move permanent, but nothing appears to be happening with Tammy Abraham from Chelsea and they have been linked to several other forwards.

Villa also off loaded a bunch of contracts ... aging vets Glen Whelan, Alan Hutton and Albert Adomah played a lot of Championship minutes but aren't really up to EPL standards anymore. They finally got rid of Micah Richards' contract, as he hasn't played for them in 3 full seasons. After multiple loans, they finally sold off Ross McCormack and decided not to offer new contracts to Tommy Elphick, Richie DeLaet and long time squad keeper Mark Bunn. Changing of the guard for sure, and Villa are making noises about building a team that can survive their promotion season.

Hazard now officially a galactico. Sarri apparently off to Juve. I've seen it rumored that Chelsea may be appealing their transfer ban, but if the appeal is rejected, the ban could even be lengthened. Could be a fun summer at the Bridge.

Hazard now officially a galactico. Sarri apparently off to Juve. I've seen it rumored that Chelsea may be appealing their transfer ban, but if the appeal is rejected, the ban could even be lengthened. Could be a fun summer at the Bridge.

It’s why Chelsea signed Pulisic in January. Supposedly. Chelsea are chasing Javi Gracia who’s been at Watford for 18 months. He fits Abramovich’s M.O. perecly. If he does get the Chelsea job, it will be his 9th since 2011

Chelsea managers are disposable, but that transfer ban is going to hurt them and their overall player pool management is shockingly wasteful. At one point I think they had 80 guys under senior team contracts ... I mean, c'mon. Their loan list could stock a team in the Championship that might be good enough to win promotion. Whatever. It doesn't bother me if Chelsea struggle for a bit ... other than a selfish interest that Pulisic get a spot on the big club so he can continue to grow.

Chelsea managers are disposable, but that transfer ban is going to hurt them and their overall player pool management is shockingly wasteful. At one point I think they had 80 guys under senior team contracts ... I mean, c'mon. Their loan list could stock a team in the Championship that might be good enough to win promotion. Whatever. It doesn't bother me if Chelsea struggle for a bit ... other than a selfish interest that Pulisic get a spot on the big club so he can continue to grow.

At least they started spreading the loans around. It used to be that Arnhem Vitesse in the Dutch League was the preferred destination. Chelsea’s roster on Wikipedia lists 36 players on loan, including Pulisic and Morata, who is on loan until next season. They have 2 guys out to clubs that are level 7 or 8 on the pyramid, another at level 3 in Spain.

Besides Pulisic, they have defender Matt Miazga, who spent the season on loan at Reading. Since signing with Chelsea in 2015, he’s made 2 appearances for them in 15-16 before going on loan spells to Vitesse for 2 seasons and Nantes for 1 before Reading.

Real Madrid sign left back Ferland Mendy from Lyon for €48 million plus €5 million in add-ons.

Man U sign Daniel James from Swansea for £15 million, potentially rising to £22 million.

Villa signed 22 year old striker Wesley Moreas (goes by Wesley) from Club Brugge. He's a bit young to be a No 9 in the EPL and still developing, but paying 20 million pounds for Wesley likely signals an end to Villa's pursuit of Tammy Abraham on a permanent move from Chelsea. They'll probably pick up a veteran striker before all is said and done.

Sky is reporting that Chelsea and Juve have reached a deal on compensation for Sarri. It will be north of £5 million and will be announced in the next 24 hours. They also report that Frank Lampard will be Chelsea’s first English manager in 23 years. Caretakers aside, Glenn Hoddle was the last, managing 157 matches over 3 seasons, ending in June 1996, the first 2 as a player/manager.

Lampard who has all of 13 months experience as a manager under his belt? What could go wrong? I mean, at least he eventually got Derby playing a recognizable formation and got them to the promotion playoff. That's not nothing ... but of course they did it with a ton of player investment, which Chelsea will not have the luxury of doing this summer.

I heard on a podcast that City expect to be able to get him a permit when he's reached 25 caps for the US. Not that it will matter, because he's not seeing that roster any time soon anyway. But it would be nice if he could get some training in with them, and maybe some shoulder season action. Either way, Dusseldorf is hardly settled in goal so he should have a shot at playing his way into that team. 50K stadium, big boy European league, not the greatest of teams so he'll see a lot of shots if and when he gets starts ... that's better for his development than hanging around Columbus' net while the Crew rebuild. Zach is a good keeper now, and I hope he can take another step. He's only 24 despite all the experience he's piled up. That's still primary school age for a keeper.

Juventus sign Dutch defender Matthijs de Ligt from Ajax for €75 million with up to €10.5 million in add-ons.

Arsenal sign France U-19 international William Saliba from Saint Etienne for €30 million and loaned him back. Supposedly, Arsenal only has a £40 million transfer budget, it seems strange to spend so much of it on a player who won’t be in the squad.

Arsenal sign midfielder Dani Ceballos on a season long loan from Real Madrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aston Villa are on splashing cash like a pirate on leave ... which has generally proven to be kind of dumb. Having spent big to bring in striker Wesley from Brugge, they've now made a move for his teammate Marvelous Nakamba, a Zimbabwean international midfielder. They also bought former loanee Tyrone Mings from Bournemouth while I was gone, and recently bought in Man City youngster Douglas Riuz. He's been an age group fixture for Brazil but City has been unable to get a work permit for him. Villa thinks a permanent spot on the Prem will sway the immigration committee, but ... that seems tentative.

Either way, Villa is pushing 120 million pounds at this point and have brought in at least 10 guys. And they still badly need a quality keeper. Yowsa.

Oof, the giant overhaul of the team after promotion pretty much never goes well (case in point, Fulham). You basically just want to take an honest assessment of your team and shore up some depth and upgrade a couple spots that might not be of premier league quality. Also, there is zero correlation between transfer spending and performance. Unsurprisingly the correlation is between your wage bill and perfomrance, especially in the premier league where you have to pay the premier league tax on any transfer fee since other teams know how much money the Prem teams have. This does not fill me with any confidence whatsoever.

Oof, the giant overhaul of the team after promotion pretty much never goes well (case in point, Fulham). You basically just want to take an honest assessment of your team and shore up some depth and upgrade a couple spots that might not be of premier league quality. Also, there is zero correlation between transfer spending and performance. Unsurprisingly the correlation is between your wage bill and perfomrance, especially in the premier league where you have to pay the premier league tax on any transfer fee since other teams know how much money the Prem teams have. This does not fill me with any confidence whatsoever.

Well, they HAD to bring in a striker and at least one wing player. And a couple of the purchases are just converting loaners to permanent roster players. Plus, last season they had zero quality depth. Still ... none of this fills me with anything other than dread. I’m just hoping for survival ... one point, goal diff, don’t care. Just stay up.

Back