• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

He's interesting. But he's barely been able to stay in the lineup on a shallow corps. Nice numbers in soft usage though.

So he can't demand much of a contract, but obviously wants a fresh start. This might be a perfect opportunity. He fits dubas like a glove.

He's interesting. But he's barely been able to stay in the lineup on a shallow corps. Nice numbers in soft usage though.
No coach has ever trusted him in tough usage. Nerds love him (outside of Dellow, who has always been a basher of him), but I think a lot has to do with the soft usage. The jury is still out on him for me. Could be one of those good third pair d that don't have what it takes to be top 4.

So he can't demand much of a contract, but obviously wants a fresh start. This might be a perfect opportunity. He fits dubas like a glove.
Only concern is Babs wants a PKer on the third pair. Don't think he'd like Honka much either. He's kind of Carrick-like in many ways.

Only concern is Babs wants a PKer on the third pair. Don't think he'd like Honka much either. He's kind of Carrick-like in many ways.

Could be more stralman-like tho. A slick guy sidelined because nhl coaches still want BIG and TOUGH in defensive roles instead of GOOD.

Much, much better skater than Carrick.

Could be more stralman-like tho. A slick guy sidelined because nhl coaches still want BIG and TOUGH in defensive roles instead of GOOD.

Much, much better skater than Carrick.
Oh I agree, I just don't know if Babs will.

You don't say? Adjust away.

26 pts.

pp performance is bad too (even though he faces weaker comp on the second unit).

ELC

Provo: 251gms, ES 18:43 (A- qoc), .91p/60, .61p1/60, -0.8cfrel, -0.1xgfrel / PP 1:38, 1.60p/60, 0.87p1/60 / PK 2:47

you're right about the PP, but he's played bigtime minutes, against top tier competition, and at evens he's not only been very good offensively but has held his own possession wise as well. and that's with mostly very poor quality of teammate, such as andrew mcdonald.

He's already looked like a good all-situations #1 dman on his ELC imo. Though those awful PP numbers do seem to betray a lack of top-end offensive skills.

Thing is he took a pretty big step back last year. Flyers are rightfully betting that it was simply an off-year for him. Probably a damn good bet to take.

Thing is he took a pretty big step back last year.

ELC

Provo: 251gms, ES 18:43 (A- qoc), .91p/60, .61p1/60, -0.8cfrel, -0.1xgfrel / PP 1:38, 1.60p/60, 0.87p1/60 / PK 2:47

you're right about the PP, but he's played bigtime minutes, against top tier competition, and at evens he's not only been very good offensively but has held his own possession wise as well. and that's with mostly very poor quality of teammate, such as andrew mcdonald.

He's already looked like a good all-situations #1 dman on his ELC imo. Though those awful PP numbers do seem to betray a lack of top-end offensive skills.

Yeah, he regressed after catching the league off guards/luck/easy comp early on. Big red flag. Last year was a pretty big step back for production and other metrics. Do you have splits for QoC? It looks like he got challenged and didn't perform so well.

This is the thing I don't like about this purported trend of post-ELCs escalating -- it's teams taking on added risk by betting on unproven commodities. This is particularly concerning with blueliners like Provorov. I can name at least a few who recently came out of the gates blazing and the faded pretty baldly (Myers, Ekblad ... at least one other I can't recall).

Yr1: B+ qoc, 0.94p60, 0.68p160, 6.8oish%, -1.5cfrel, -2.9xgfrel
Yr2: A qoc, 1.05p60, 0.83p160, 9.7oish%, +0.4cfrel, +1.4xgfrel
Yr3: A qoc, 0.74p60, 0.33p160, 8.9oish%, -0.9cfrel, +0.9xgfrel

Yeah definitely a big dip last year offensively, though still solid possession wise against elite comp.

The year 2 numbers are eye-popping thought- legit elite, elite performance there in his 2nd year.

His offense, though, may just be more inconsistent in general because it's so reliant on his big shot finding the back of the net.

Yeah in year 2, in my eyes he was a legitimate elite #1d. It may have been a blessing that he had an off-season last year. Kinda wish Marner did too.

Yr1: B+ qoc, 0.94p60, 0.68p160, 6.8oish%, -1.5cfrel, -2.9xgfrel
Yr2: A qoc, 1.05p60, 0.83p160, 9.7oish%, +0.4cfrel, +1.4xgfrel
Yr3: A qoc, 0.74p60, 0.33p160, 8.9oish%, -0.9cfrel, +0.9xgfrel

Yeah definitely a big dip last year offensively, though still solid possession wise against elite comp.

The year 2 numbers are eye-popping thought- legit elite, elite performance there in his 2nd year.

His offense, though, may just be more inconsistent in general because it's so reliant on his big shot finding the back of the net.
Thanks!

A big complaint Flyers fans had about Hakstol was specifically around Provorov and not leaning on him. Interesting to me is the steady decline in xgf performance. That's definiteely a red flag.

He's not the wildest risk to take but I'd be inclined to bridge a guy like that.

Honestly, in a worst case scenario he's still likely easily worth the contract. As I said, it was a blessing that his off-season came last year. Got him at a great rate.

Back