• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Board Changes

HeyKurtz

Why were the changes made to the board? Just curious about the motiviations for the new interface and also questioning why the URL that has taken me to our board for years was changed. I suspect that will keep some people away for a while...

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
They tweeted that the site has a new host. Yes, it’s going to be a problem.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
VBulletin was reaping attacks that caused database issues. I decided to switch to Xenforo which is mobile friendly. I know it’s an adjustment but people will get used to it.

Habspatrol

ADMINuteman
Staff member
Why were the changes made to the board? Just curious about the motiviations for the new interface and also questioning why the URL that has taken me to our board for years was changed. I suspect that will keep some people away for a while...
The software is new but everything else is the same. All of our posts, messages and everything else is still here.

The motivation was an upgrade.

SlapShots

I like the look and appreciate the effort to keep this bulletin board up and running. Hat tip and my thanks to those involved!

StormChaserBH

I always use the New Posts link to pick up from where I left off on threads on any board... interesting to note that there's no little prefix icon before the thread name on that list-of-threads-with-new-posts page which takes you to the first new post. It now seems that just clicking the thread title does that (goes to first new post), where before if I clicked the thread title on the New Posts page, it went back to page 1. Improvement.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
VBulletin was reaping attacks that caused database issues. I decided to switch to Xenforo which is mobile friendly. I know it’s an adjustment but people will get used to it.
FWIW, my travel company uses Xenforo for a HUGE message board community and has been fairly well satisfied. It took a couple of months after they switched, also from VBulliten, for people to catch back up with the site ... but it happened.

CanadaCanes

The software is new but everything else is the same. All of our posts, messages and everything else is still here.

The motivation was an upgrade.
Not everything is quite the same...I went from a "Hall of Famer" to an "Active Member"...now for what it's worth, I'm glad I have an "active" member over just a "member"...

HNIM

I will miss the ability to go to the first unread post in a thread (unless I'm not seeing it). But I appreciate the effort that goes into this.

Habspatrol

ADMINuteman
Staff member
I will miss the ability to go to the first unread post in a thread (unless I'm not seeing it). But I appreciate the effort that goes into this.
You're just not seeing it.

Start by marking everything read... then after that all threads with new posts will be bold. Then you just click into the thread and it will take you to the newest unread post.